Using C550 as a GPRS modem ?

Guest Lindopski

Guest Lindopski

Hello all

A techie style question for you from a smartphone starter.

I am a poor student type and hence have no landline phone at home, I do however get access to the internet via my mobile phone SPV C550 using Orange worlds great £1 all day offer to Pay as you go customers.

(I used to use the £4 16MB option till my SPV took it all and £25 as well on top in 1 day)

all I am now wondering is this.

Would it be possible for me to link my phone up to the pc at home and use the gprs connection on the phone somehow to gain access to the internet via my pc. I appreciate the loading times would be horrendously slow but with that I can deal as I have no other alternative available.

If this is possible then how can it be done , what settings do I need to access on pc and SPV?

it may be pie in the sky but its a possibility maybe, if gprs is impossible maybe CSD access is an option as CSD is only £4 for 160 minutes through orange.

if this can be achieved either way (preferably gprs) then I am interested thanks.

Guest tsutton

Yeah, it can be possible as I've done it before using Bluetooth. However that was a while back, I can't remember how it was set up.

But, I'm happy to say it can be done. ;)

Just need for someone to reply to this with the steps to get this working.

Guest alexbax1
well that is great news just have to figure it out now lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello! i use gprs as a backup if my crappy ukonline broadband buggers up!

to use it with bluetooth you'll need to bond your c550 to your pc which should detect and install your cc50's modem. then setup a new dial up connection using the "gprs over bluetooth modem". then use *99# as the phone number to dial. all other settings should just be the defaults! and you just leave the username and pass blank!

hope that helps! :)

Alex

Hello! i use gprs as a backup if my crappy ukonline broadband buggers up!

to use it with bluetooth you'll need to bond your c550 to your pc which should detect and install your cc50's modem. then setup a new dial up connection using the "gprs over bluetooth modem". then use *99# as the phone number to dial. all other settings should just be the defaults! and you just leave the username and pass blank!

hope that helps! :)

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi i'm having probs with this... my pc see's the bluetooth modem, but not the gprs modem. when i try to connect using the bluetooth modem it comes back saying device not responding.

any idea's?

Guest alexbax1
Hi i'm having probs with this... my pc see's the bluetooth modem, but not the gprs modem. when i try to connect using the bluetooth modem it comes back saying device not responding.

any idea's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you'll probebly find that the bluetooth modem is the gprs modem! make sure that there are no other bluetooth modems- if so try them!

also you can try going to control panel>phone and modem>modems then select the bluetooth modem then advanced and in the box add the following: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet"

if that doesnt work just try a simple phone reboot! :)

and..... if all that fails... install widcom bluetooth software and use that insted of windows one! thats what i tend to use and its a lot better!

hope that helps!!

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot seem to get the BT-modem to work - neither connecting with activesync via BT. However using the USB cable it works fine. No problem at all; I even run a VPN connection on it to my company when our normal connection options fail. SAP via 10 mbit VPN via GPRS works like a charm!