Vonage VoIP Softphone for Smartphone

Guest dRPeppir

Guest rsearley
http://www.ciceronetworks.com/products/phone/

SIP client... The smartphone version is specifically made for 8310/SP5.

It integrates with the existing dialer so you can do things like call waiting between GSM and VoIP, as well as use the phone book.

Contact the company, it costs 40 euro's for a single license.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but where do we buy it??

Edited by rsearley

Guest dRPeppir
but where do we but it??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isnt there a freeware program and has all the features of softphone ported to smartphone for people who already have service with vonage and want to extend it to the WLAN on Qtek 8310 or SP5m. Bascially a configurable SIP client that works on WM2005 Smartphone.

but where do we but it??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The software is primarily aimed at operators. They have designed a gateway that can sit at the operator side and allow seamless handover between GSM and VoIP. Of course not many operators are interested right now because they would loose revenue.

Because of this, they _will_ sell you a single license if you ask them. You need to email the company and they'll arange for you to make payment and receive a copy.

Isnt there a freeware program and has all the features of softphone ported to smartphone for people who already have service with vonage and want to extend it to the WLAN on Qtek 8310 or SP5m.  Bascially a configurable SIP client that works on WM2005 Smartphone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no 'freeware' SIP client for smartphone that i know of. The closest thing is SJphone, but they don't have a smartphone version.

One thing you need to be aware of is that only the basic codec's are 'free'. The more usefull ones - those used by nearly every provider on the planet - like G729 and G723 have license fee's atached.

This makes it imposible for anyone to sell you a client with these codecs for free. someone has to pay for the license!

This is the very reason SkyPE uses iLBC, which is free, and useless for low bandwidth connections - more so when you have any packet loss at all. Just one reason why SkyPE over GPRS is virtually impossible.

If someone like Vonage _does_ make a client they will most likely lock it to their gateways, and swallow the license fee, giving you the client free. That's all well and good if you use that particular provider, but not otherwise.

At the moment the VoIP sw market is split in two very seperate categories:

1- consumer:

Here the average user signs up with one provider and pays them for all calls. This is comparable with using SkyPE or vonage. The codec doesn't matter as much here because they can pick any one thats enabaled on their side too. They don't care if its the best choice since you don't know any better!

For this category the client has to be free, or the consumer won't go for it.

2 - business:

Here the user has their own gateways, or gatekeepers (handles multiple terminating providers). In this case the client has to be standard SIP and allow configurable providers. It also critically must support G729 and G723 which entails a license fee. The client can't be free because of that - which isnt a problem because business users will pay for it.

An example of this kind of client is Cicero phone or SJphone (payed version)

There are free SIP clients like SJphone, but they only have G711 alaw/ulaw, which won't work with most providers.

Guest dRPeppir

Yea but isn't there a way to use existing software such as softphone from vonage and somehow port it to work on smartphones with WLAN. Some kind of internet is all that matters for these softwares to run.

Its 'impossible' to port a PC program to another platform without source code (Ok you could disasemble it, figure out each routine and replicate it for smartphone but you would finish faster if you started from scratch!).

I'm sure Vonage, nor anyone else will give you their source code so that you can bypass them as a provider and use their competition.

I just saw a review on Cicero phone:

http://www.arcchart.com/blueprint/show.asp...383&qtabs=99999

Its a little disapointing the smartphone version doesnt integrate with the dialer. But the main thing, as i suspected, is that its just not viable for incoming calls unless you have the charger plugged in.

Also anoyingly the sound comes out of the speaker and not the earspeaker, so you have to use a handsfree all the time :)

Still usefull, but not as much as i had hoped.

Edited by kam_

Guest dRPeppir

Yeah I've seen a few review on Cicero, but theres no demo or anything to download to check and see if it works with my vonage service and what it looks like on my phone.

Well mixed results so far...

It won't work through activesync unless you use TCP for SIP. You can enable wifi while connected to activesync with a workaround and then u can use it while its plugged into the computer and charging.

Now i've been told the SP5 can't support G723 and G729 and those codecs are only supported on the PPC version :roll:

I've been trying with G711 and my own gateway and its not working as yet. Lots of clicking regardless of the frame size i use. I'm going to try GSM later and see.

As in the review the sound comes out of the loudspeaker so you need to use the headset :) They havnt answered if this can be fixed yet.

I'll keep you posted.

Guest dRPeppir

That sucks.. but sounds promising at the same time i guess. What version do you have?

Well mixed results so far...

It won't work through activesync unless you use TCP for SIP.  You can enable wifi while connected to activesync with a workaround and then u can use it while its plugged into the computer and charging.

Now i've been told the SP5 can't support G723 and G729 and those codecs are only supported on the PPC version  :roll:

I've been trying with G711 and my own gateway and its not working as yet.  Lots of clicking regardless of the frame size i use.  I'm going to try GSM later and see.

As in the review the sound comes out of the loudspeaker so you need to use the headset :)  They havnt answered if this can be fixed yet.

I'll keep you posted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

version 2.6.3 for smartphone (Tornado devices).

I've found that u can actually use the same application to dial GSM too. You can put a set of prefixes which u want to go out of GSM and the rest go out of VoIP. Unless of course WiFi isnt available, then it'll use GSM anyway.

It integrates with the contacts in your phone, but doesnt display sim contacts.

Guest dRPeppir

Thats pretty cool although it would be nice if there was a version that was available from vonage for smartphone, since we already pay for their service.

version 2.6.3 for smartphone (Tornado devices).

I've found that u can actually use the same application to dial GSM too.  You can put a set of prefixes which u want to go out of GSM and the rest go out of VoIP.  Unless of course WiFi isnt available, then it'll use GSM anyway.

It integrates with the contacts in your phone, but doesnt display sim contacts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I finally managed to run SIP client "x-pro" pocket PC edition on i-mate SP5 (qtek 8310) and i-mate SP3i (qtek 8020).

1 - Get the "x-pro.cab" file. Install it on a PPC then copy two files "x-pro.exe" and "AES_PPC_DLL.dll" to SP5 /windows directory or /storage/windows for sp3i;

2 - Set up your SIP accounts on the PPC running "x-pro". Activate x-tunnels if you intend to use non-wifi connexions. Then, using Resco Reg Editor, export "/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/xten.../X-PRO" to x-pro.reg file, and copy this file as well to your SP5 or SP3i;

3- Create a shortcut to "x-pro.exe" in /windows/Start Menu/ (Storage/windows/Start Menu for Sp3i);

4 - Run Resco Reg Editor on your SP5/3i, import "x-pro.reg" file, reboot and get ready.

5 - connect SP5 to wifi (connect Sp3i to internet via bluetooth and activesyc 4.1)

6 - launch X-PRO from the "Start" menu and wait untill it is connected to you SIP gateway.

7 - simply dial the numbers from the smartphone dialpad, connect with a press on the joystick.

8 - You're done !!! Quality of sound is acceptable on SP5, very PTT like from SP3i.

9 - No need to overclock or whatever, it doesn't seem to have any effect on quality.

10 - Log window can be accessed by a long press on "#"

11 - Any comments, please feel free to post.

Screenshots attached.

post-185445-1145316711_thumb.jpg

post-185445-1145316928_thumb.jpg

Which codec's does it support?

does the sound come out of the loudspeaker or the ear speaker?

Does it support h323 or only sip?

UPDATE on cicero phone:

I've managed to get Cicero phone working perfectly now with sipdiscount, voipdiscount etc as well as my own gateways. It works fine with G711a/G711u/GSM. Aparently there's a new version of cicero phone coming out on the 17th which allows it to work using ear speaker instead of the loudspeaker.

Unfortunately they still don't seem to want to sell cicerophone to indivduals.

Supports only G711a for the time being (wich is the only one offered by x-pro PPC). Have read that PPC version can support GSM as well, but never tried.

Can't get hold of Cicero either by mail or by phone !!! Anyone knows where can I get their software?

Supports only G711a for the time being (wich is the only one offered by x-pro PPC). Have read that PPC version can support GSM as well, but never tried.

Can't get hold of Cicero either by mail or by phone !!! Anyone knows where can I get their software?

And yes the sound comes out of the speaker phone.

May be there is a reg. fix for that.

Guest flodis79

Thanks! I downloaded that .cab and installed but when I open x-pro.exe in the phone it says 'Evaluation complete. Thank you for evaluating X-PRO. Please contact your vendor for more information.' Strange..

Is that the version you downloaded yourself? I extracted it with WinCE Cab Manager.

Instead, I found ineen.com - they use the X-PRO software - and their softphone for PPC, which I'm able to run, but I cannot call another user's internal Ineen number, even if both users are online. I don't know if I'm doing it correctly with using Line1 and Line2, but at least there is a trunk tone coming out of the speaker.

Have a look at http://www.ineen.com/download_ppc.html

There is a program called Woize, which is supposed to work on Qtek 8310 and other smartphones.

It is similar to Skype, but the rates are lower and I think there is some SIP compatibility built in.

However, I have not tried it because it requires microsoft compact .net framework 2.0 which despite the name is not very compact. It takes up several megabytes of space in the /windows folder.

And as you all know, space in the internal storage memory is quite limited on Qtek 8310...

You can find this at: http://www.woize.com/

Unlike Skype, there appears to be no fees involved in registering a "real" phone number to your voip phone (only per minute traffic rates for outgoing calls). But you can only get a Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch or Brittish phone number at the moment.

Edited by ampz