Media Player video active synch

Guest a.greig

Guest a.greig

I see from previous posts people have had problems using Media Player Synch to copy to the C550. Well this seems to be working for me perfectly wth one exception - I can't synch video. According to the Microsoft help the video boxes are greyed out if the device does not support video playback. Well obviously the C550 does. Is there any way I can persuade Media Player that it does.? Would be handy sometimes if I could just synch and have Media player do the video format conversion for me rather than runnng standalone encoders.

Anyone got this to work?

Btw, I'm astonished by the phone's picture quality when playing back high bit rate encodings!

Guest mini_man

i think that you can only sync videos into the spvs wmp with windows media center (operating system) so you will have to use a standalone encoder

here are the things that will make your spv amazing with videos

pocketdivx encoder

is dead simple to use and will encode your videos into the correct viewing format

tcpmp

another media player, use this for videos, it will display them in full screen it is absolutley incredible as it works with nearly all file types

Guest a.greig

I've got both pocketdivx and tcpmp (and virtualdub) and agree I get excellent results but I fancy the ability to directly convert/sync to wmv format as well as it's pretty good too if you encode it manually. As far as I can figure you get extra video transcoding abilities with Windows Media Center Edition but the basic functionality video sync is supposed to work with WM10 under ordinary XP. A newsgroups search finds reports of people doing this with varying degrees of succes on other smartphones/Pocket PCs. But it seems that if the video boxes are greyed out in Media Player Tools > Options > Devices then Media Player thinks the device just can't do video. One post by someone from MS suggested that the device is supposed to tell WMP10 what video formats it supports but some fail to do so. So maybe that's it.

One problem I have with tcpmp is that I can't play any .wmv files. The player just hangs or crashes completely. Over in the tcpmp support forum I see that others have reported the same problem. This with tcpmp 0.71 and the latest beta release. Does tcpmp play .wmv files for you?

Guest mini_man

it will play wmvs but you will need a plugin from there website, unfortunaletly i cannot remember which one :S!

just install them all there all worth having just incase

Guest a.greig

I'm fairly sure it's not a plugin problem. tcpmp correctly identifies the format and attempts to play. It then crashes producing a crash.txt. It shoudn't do that even with media which needs a plugin.

What version of tcpmp are you using?

Guest a.greig

Out of curiousity is your player installed on the phone or the card? Mine is installed on the card. I might try reinstalling on the phone just in case it's an obscure file system tree problem.

Guest a.greig
on the card

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh well that rules one thing out. Wonder what the difference is? From searching the tcpmp support forum at least 6 people have reported the same problem recently on various devices. I've formally submitted a bug report together with a crash dump so I'll wait and see what happens.

Guest a.greig
on the card

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had a response to my bug report from the author and he can reproduce it. He says it is a security/signing problem caused by the Microsoft WMV DLL accessing chip hardware information without the necessary security certificate. WMP works with the DLL because it is signed by Microsoft with the highest security level. The question then is why are you able to play wmv files as it should fail on all similar devices. Have you done any additional application unlocking or similar?

Same goes for anyone else reading this who uses TCPMP. can you play .wmv files and if so what changes, if any, have you made to the phones config beyond the default currently supplied by Orange?

If you have made no changes and it still plays I need to get back to the author of tcpmp with that information.

Update: I have now heard from the author that it is likely that C550 owners who can play .WMV in tcpmp probably have an older ROM and that he can't easily find a way past the security problem with the newer ROMs. So you might want to keep this in mind before pressing for a new ROM from Orange.

Edited by a.greig