Is My Wizard Wierd?!

Guest stinkeymole

Guest stinkeymole

Hello Chaps,

Ive been a member for some time and found advice from many of you very usefull for my c500 days and for that i am very grateful to you all. However this is the first time ive ever posted so be gentle with me if i get things wrong or post things in the wrong place!

I finally took the plunge and left orange to go for the T-Mobile MDA Vario about 3 weeks ago. i've been a pocket pc and a smartphone owner now for the last 3 years so getting used to the pocket pc and phone mix didn't take too long and i think this is a great device and worth sacking off orange for as they seem incredibly concerned about giving the normal people like myself Wi-Fi capable devices favouring expensive GPRS. Anyone else get that same feeling?

Anyway to the point, ive been through most of the wizard forum searching to see if anybody has had the same issues as myself and I cant seem to find anyone with the same prob. The softkeys on my vario after a while and especially after closing down programs in the Running Programs List seem to stop working but on the today screen only, there doesn't appear to be a hardwear problem as when i press the soft key the call and reject call button lights come on but the softkeys dont appear to be talking to the software. :?: A soft reset sorts it out but i don't want to have to do that a thousand times a day to get the softkeys working.My soft keys also don't light up at all and they have never have done so. does the little dashes on anybody elses wizards softkeys light up or is this normal? It just looks like they should thats all.

Sorry to harp on just wanted to give as much info as poss

Thanks in advance for any info

C.

:)

Guest adchaffey

Can't really help with the problem, seems a bit of a strange one...

But I can confirm that the soft buttons do not light up. At least they don't on mine either.

I actually have a strange problem with the green call button light. I takes longer to come on than the red button. A lot longer. I can see it 'warming up' and gradually coming on for up to 5 seconds sometimes! But that's probably completely irrelevant here!

Guest stinkeymole
Can't really help with the problem, seems a bit of a strange one...

But I can confirm that the soft buttons do not light up. At least they don't on mine either.

I actually have a strange problem with the green call button light. I takes longer to come on than the red button. A lot longer. I can see it 'warming up' and gradually coming on for up to 5 seconds sometimes! But that's probably completely irrelevant here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for putting my mind at rest with the soft keys not lighting up That makes me a bit happier, your problem is a strange one. The only thing i can think is that the green LED chip under the call key is poorly sick. It definatley has the symptoms of a faulty LED can you return it for replacement or are you not to bothered about it?

C.

Guest adchaffey
Thanks for putting my mind at rest with the soft keys not lighting up That makes me a bit happier, your problem is a strange one. The only thing i can think is that the green LED chip under the call key is poorly sick. It definatley has the symptoms of a faulty LED can you return it for replacement or are you not to bothered about it?

C.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not bothered at all by the light to be honest. All in all I'm extremely pleased with the phone. Hope you get your problem sorted!

i had this problem from time to time

I was running tcmp i think and had reassigned the soft keys to fastforward/rewind and after running the soft keys no longer worked until i soft reset.

I took out the reassignments and it stop doing it

are you using any software that reassigns the soft keys?

Guest Total Eclipse

I was running tcmp i think and had reassigned the soft keys to fastforward/rewind and after running the soft keys no longer worked until i soft reset.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here - I've noticed that running certain programs causes the soft keys to stop working when I quit - MilkyPlay being a good example :)

Not sure whether it's to do with running non-WM5 software - It annoys me, but not enough to investigate it thoroughly (YET)

Dunno if it's the same or similar, but occasionally* my mail/text button doesn't actually do anything and I have to select mail/text from the home screen.

It's annoying in that it seems to almost forget what it does, until I remind it by selecting mail myself: "Oh that's what I do!"

*occasionally is only once a week or so.

Guest stinkeymole

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you might have hit the nail on the head jiffk. I also use TCMP with those soft keys assigned to a task. I have now dissabled those hot keys in TCMP and no Today screen soft key freezing as yet! :D I wonder if it a buggy thing with WM5 if we have any programs intalled that allows you to assign hot keys including total eclipse with his Milky play troubles? In answer to drewtechs question the soft keys on the keyboard also fails to talk to the software at the same time so i'm pretty certain its not a hardware issue and just a bug with all the software being so new, but ta for the suggestion :) I'll keep you posted on the possible TCMP hotkey prob

Many Ta's

C.

Guest adchaffey
I think you might have hit the nail on the head jiffk. I also use TCMP with those soft keys assigned to a task. I have now dissabled those hot keys in TCMP and no Today screen soft key freezing as yet! :D  I wonder if it a buggy thing with WM5 if we have any programs intalled that allows you to assign hot keys including total eclipse with his Milky play troubles? In answer to drewtechs question the soft keys on the keyboard also fails to talk to the software at the same time so i'm pretty certain its not a hardware issue and just a bug with all the software being so new, but ta for the suggestion :) I'll keep you posted on the possible TCMP hotkey prob

Many Ta's

C.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could it be something to do with the new memory management in WM5?? The fact that the memory is more persistent? I don't think it's actually a problem with WM5, more the fact the software relied on a feature of the older operating system. Just thought I'd add my 2 pence!

I had this same problem, I had Vito Button Mapper installed and my calender softkey "disappeared" and my contacts would highlight when pressed but wouldn't load the contacts list! (it would if I went into the dialpad then press the contacts softkey!)

I uninstalled Button Mapper and haven't had a problem yet!

Does anyone know what Vito Button Mapper actually does? I could already go into start, settings, buttons and change all my hard button assignments... am I missing something?