Lord Bless Orange and all who sail in her..

Guest bronksy

Guest bronksy

Hey ho people.. so yet again i'm blighted by the Zesty fruit...

Got a new M5000 yesterday as my solution from the Exec office. Great. (Same f/w btw)

Went onto a business plus account today too.. so i can get my single user SIM thing.. and have another SIM card in another handset....BUT.. wait for it...

The single user SIM cannot work on the 3G network. (apparently) so not even data let alone video calls...

Can anyone confirm/deny this who has a single number SIM?

The reason (wait for it)

"well sir most people use it for a car kit, and they are usually really old 2G Nokias or something so we don't need to support 3G"

Why is this technically so problematic?? Surely if you can have 2 SIM cards on thesame numeber then they can both be 3G cards?

Dashed my hopes of sorting my phone-life out!

Any help anyone?

Guest Dave_UK

Hi...

The way the single number system works seems to be a little vague. We have been an Orange Business Centre for months, and the first time I even heard of the system was when a customer walked in with a leaflet sent from Orange Direct. Months later we have still heard nothing about it at retail level!

Anyway, the closest I can garner from CS is that Single Number works in a kind of talk-share system, but the second sim sharing your minutes has the same number. Presumably, this is why Single Number is only available on single subscriptions of Business Plus, not on Business Plus talkshares or domestic accounts.

At the moment, bundles for things such as data can only applied to 'leader handsets' on a business plus talkshare, but the sharers can freely have 3G handsets.

Single number secondary sims have limited functionality in the same way that line 2 does (if you have a separate number with a separate talkplan operating from the same SIM).

However, a bit of information for you. The talkshare grouping system for Orange is to be modified, so that all 'sharers' on a 'talkshare' can be given bundles independently of the leader. This change is going to update ALL talkshare plans (as far as I know). Whether this will affect Single Number, or it is completely unconnected, we shall see.

In short - Single Number is a new facility on the Orange network that has made its way down from Medium-Large corporate to Small Business. This means that, while it is a very useful system (particularly, as stated, for car kits etc) it is still in its fledgling stages. Hopefully, it will be improved and updated for uses such as those you are describing in due time.

For any other information on the Single Number system, speak to the Small Business team on 345 from your Orange phone.

Regards...

Guest bronksy

thanks for this.. after delving around with some other modaco members i think i've sorted it out. The single number sim is more of a clone sim, but unlike line 2 it's 'real' number is invisible. It seems the network somehow cloaks the real sim number to be yours. Caller ID will (apparently) show one number. Texts/MMS seem a bit of a grey area.. but i ge tthe impression the primary handset is switched off or out of coverage then the secondary handset takes over.

You cannot have the secondry handset on 3g because they don't send out USIM's with single user, so therefore only one handset can be 3g.

Apparently they are testing USIM's with single user.

I think this could be the answer lots of people are looking for. I think non business customers would take up this offer, but I suppose Orange don't want the great unwashed using this service.. too complicated and expensive to support..

So i think it will help me out. I will put a new Nokia N70 as primary so i can use video calls.. and then use it as a 3G modem. I will keep my M5000 in 2G mode as it seems to perform better, and if i really really need 3g on the M5000 I willl either swap sims or use Bluetooth on the N70 to the M5000. seems convoluted but i can't cope with the poor phone ability of the M5000.. it's driving me mad!

The single user SIM cannot work on the 3G network. (apparently) so not evenĀ  data let alone video calls...

Can anyone confirm/deny this who has a single number SIM?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vodafone's MultiSIM has this restriction also, and they've been unable to crack it for several years.

Their system works by having two dummy numbers connected to each SIM and and elaborate diverting mechanism in place which is done deeper into the network level than standard diverting. Apparently a by-product of this system is that data and GPRS is not an option.

What's wrong the phone element of the M5000 anyway? Mine's been OK.

Guest bronksy

Ahh.. don't get me on a rant.. but i have the single user and you can get GPRS on it, just not 3G, so it's not too bad.

I have now managed to get Orange to send me an N70 which i will use as my main device so i can make calls properly and make video calls, bung the other sim into my M5000 and have this as a data device and organiser.. i'll see how i go with not having 3g on my M5000. It wasn't in coverage most of the time for 3G when my K600 was, so it was in 2G mode anyway, and all should be good.. when i go partying.. it's the N70 and when i'm working on location i'll take the M5000 for me mails and msn when i'm bored!

• 1 year later...
Guest spacerace
Ahh.. don't get me on a rant.. but i have the single user and you can get GPRS on it, just not 3G, so it's not too bad.

I have now managed to get Orange to send me an N70 which i will use as my main device so i can make calls properly and make video calls, bung the other sim into my M5000 and have this as a data device and organiser.. i'll see how i go with not having 3g on my M5000. It wasn't in coverage most of the time for 3G when my K600 was, so it was in 2G mode anyway, and all should be good.. when i go partying.. it's the N70 and when i'm working on location i'll take the M5000 for me mails and msn when i'm bored!

has anything progressed on this issue in the last year? (grps only, no 3g on secondary sims)

I'd also like to know if there is any movement on Single Number being made available to non-business customers. while I could move to small business, the tariff options are nowhere near as good as my premier 600 tariff so I'd prefer to stay on this. I phoned CS several months ago enquiring about SN becoming an option for 'consumers' and the rep told me they had heard it was going to be made available, but had no idea when...