M500 as a Skype phone

Guest Webreaper

Guest Webreaper

Saw an ad for the BT fusion thing today, and it got me thinking - is it possible to run Skype (or something similar) on a PPCPE-based PDA/phone like the M500, to allow me to make free VOIP voice calls from the phone with a suitable SDIO wifi card?

Guest Confused Stu

Yup. Went onto Skype's website last week and downloaded the PPC version for free to show one of my mates. He logged in, made a call (via the WiFi card obviously!) then handed it back. Seemed to work fine.

I haven't tried it yet as I've got no friends to call. :)

Guest zippy172

Be warned, do NOT buy the SafeCom WiFi card from eBuyer, unless you want to experience supreme pants range!

Bought one the other week for work, had to be within a metre of either of our wireless gateways to get any close to a signal to register on the site survey screen! Abysmal!

Guest Webreaper

Thanks for the replies (although if I'd searched for 'Skype' on the board, I'd have found the answer already. 8)

That should be handy then. Basically, it would mean that with a wireless network at work, and the Siemens Gigaset phones that we have at home, I should be able to cut lots of call costs from both my mobile and landline (the majority of calls from home are to my mobile). :)

Guest Confused Stu

Spectec WiFi card works fine through walls and all too. Added bonus, it's smaller than some of the other WiFi cards too so doesn't stick out as far.

Guest Webreaper

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like a winner - just need to persuade Orange to give me the M500 now. Wonder if there's anyway to encourage them to let me upgrade the handset a month early.... :-)