2003 i600 homescreen stuff

Guest ironsoulreaver

Guest ironsoulreaver

yay 2003 upgrade went flawlessly... i have a question though.. i understand the permissions crap..... i cant belive we cant install custom homescreens. verizon is full of idiots... thats one of the points of a PDA. it is highly customizable.... but they were prolly afraid we would try to "Hack the phone" and get free internet or something...

but i installed and "animated" background for the home screen and it wont animate!... it uses a .ani file to run animations... any answeres?

Guest mikeyboy.com
yay 2003 upgrade went flawlessly... i have a question though.. i understand the permissions crap..... i cant belive we cant install custom homescreens. verizon is full of idiots... thats one of the points of a PDA. it is highly customizable.... but they were prolly afraid we would try to "Hack the phone" and get free internet or something...

but i installed and "animated" background for the home screen and it wont animate!... it uses a .ani file to run animations... any answeres?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we CAN install homescreens, but some homescreen installers also want to edit registry settings to update the alert and in-call screens. that's the part that this phone won't allow.

if you want to just update your home screen, and you're handy, you can extract the xml and background files out of the installer and manually install them. otherwise i think we're kind of bumming; pretty much all developers are targetting devices that allow installers to edit the registry. :)

• 8 months later...
Guest Furball Zen
we CAN install homescreens, but some homescreen installers also want to edit registry settings to update the alert and in-call screens. that's the part that this phone won't allow.

if you want to just update your home screen, and you're handy, you can extract the xml and background files out of the installer and manually install them. otherwise i think we're kind of bumming; pretty much all developers are targetting devices that allow installers to edit the registry. :rolleyes:

Better yet get the Theme Generator from Microsoft (free) and use it to make your very own homescreen. Then simply make the Theme, but dont send it to your phone. After naming it, simply install it to the Storage/Application Data/Home folder on your phone using the Explorer and then click on it from the phone. It will install automatically!