c550 stollen - imea locked

Guest Jon_

was robbed at knifepoint last night, good bye c550 and ipod

rang orange after ringing the police, phone sim locked and imea has been barred

will this mean that there is no acess to the phone at all, my contacts are on thre etc, the only level of security I had used was the sim pincode, not on the actual phone its self.

Guest mini_man

well i can explain some of the things to you

pin code :

if the sim is inserted into a different phone a code will be requested to continue

If the imei and phone is blocked this will mean you cannot use a different sim card to make calls and texts but you can look at the details on the phone i think.

The phone code stops simcards being inserted as you have to enter a code.

gutted mate... they won't be able to use the phone if its blocked... but if they insert a different sim they will be able to view everything on it. (if they can work it!) but then again, they prob know where to go to get the iemi changed.

that's why I always set up a lock code on all mine...

gutted mate... they won't be able to use the phone if its blocked... but if they insert a different sim they will be able to view everything on it. (if they can work it!) but then again, they prob know where to go to get the iemi changed.

that's why I always set up a lock code on all mine...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

James if you had a phone lock code then if a different sim is put in they won't be able to access any phone menu's until they put in your phone lock code.

likewise if they turn on the phone without a sim in place they won't be able to access the menu's either.

I would encourage anyone to enable the phone lock code as well as the sim pin just in case of this kind of situation.

Sorry to hear it's happened you.

Hope you have some kind of insurance so you can get your phone replaced.

Ray

Guest mini_man

yes on my old phone i had phone code on (stops other simcards being inserted) how to i enable this??? all i have is enable phone lock, enable sim pin and change pin 2

and phone lock is just locking your phone so u have to put in a code to use the buttons

Thought that would have been the case, part of it is my own fault for relying on the simcard pin only.

hopefully when he saw it got blocked he just binned it as opposed to goign through it.

is it quite easy if someone knows who to see to get teh imea unbarred then?

need to find all my insurance papers now and get all that sorted, the joys!

Guest emyllis

Now then...

Reading this, I've decided to re-turn on pin and security passwords -

to clarify i've posted on here for over a year!

But... I've forgotten my sim password - i have 3 attempts to get it right - i've had 2 incorrect ones, but i don't want to get the password wrong again as i need to use the phone today!

If I enter the password incorrectly for a third time, how do I reactive the sim password please?

Thanks!

What exactly means that the imea is locked? If someone tries to register in the Orange network the attempt will be refused? Does this work on other providers? What about abroad?

You should keep an eye on eBay, i have had a friend, who found his phone on the eBay (the phone had an unique scratch) and with the help of eBay and the police everything worked out. Worth a try!

Edited by reopru

Guest mini_man
You should keep an eye on eBay, i have had a friend, who found his phone on the eBay (the phone had an unique scratch) and with the help of eBay and the police everything worked out. Worth a try!

yeh! that is so worth a look.

any information on your phone and ipod

any scratches on the phone ipod ? what generation? type ? memory

what was inside the phone? we can all help by checkin on ebay to see if we spot it??

also what time did this terrible ordeal happen as if it was listed that day then it sounds like it would have been posted late.

Just to clarify when the imei is blocked it is added to a Blacklist among all the UK operators.

Doesn't matter what network. Once it's been added it then will not work in the UK at all. If a thief puts any sim card in it won't get a signal.

There is actually no agreement currently in place with networks outside of the uk.

A majority of phones today end up being sold for spares or resold in other countries where the imei can be used.

It is the same for phones outside of the uk that might have been stolen.

It is not possible to tell using the tools available to the uk networks if it has been reported lost or stolen by a non uk network.

Mrmond

Edited by mrmond

there were no majour noticable scratchs marks etc

the phones imea was 356134000060076

ipod sn 4j512ay8ps9

on the phone was a fair few photos stored on both the phones memory and memery card, some of which can be found on http://www.jonsimmonds.co.uk/wp-gallery2.php

on the ipod just under 20gbs of trance music mostly from the 90's and 2000/01 (hate trance music after 2001)

doubt it would do much good as prob allready sold for £10 for a quick fix etc but ya never know...

Guest fluffcat1
hey guys this looks really dodgy to me

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPV-c550-SMART-PHONE...1QQcmdZViewItem

the title is

SPV c550 SMART PHONE.SPARES REPAIR.BLOCKED/BARRED????

I'd be careful saying that sort of thing in a public forum. If an SPV is barred and you try to use it on a UK network it comes up as 'denied' where the network name / status should be, not 'no service' or 'searching' as the seller lists. They just say that it could be blocked / barred to cover themselves as they are too lazy to ring orange and check the IMEI with them. I'd say it's more likely that there is a fault with this handset or someone's tried recasing this phone and not swopped the aeriel over inside the aeriel cover. It happens.....

Just to clarify when the imei is blocked it is added to a Blacklist among all the UK operators.

Doesn't matter what network. Once it's been added it then will not work in the UK at all. If a thief puts any sim card in it won't get a signal.

There is actually no agreement currently in place with networks outside of the uk.

A majority of phones today end up being sold for spares or resold in other countries where the imei can be used.

It is the same for phones outside of the uk that might have been stolen.

It is not possible to tell using the tools available to the uk networks if it has been reported lost or stolen by a non uk network.

Mrmond

Not quite correct..

When an IMEI is barred it gets added to the GSM working groups' CEIR (Central Equipment Identify Register )database based in Dublin, which all the UK networks use, and it *is* used by other networks worldwide. I can't find a list but know of a few european networks ( Proximus Belgium and Orange FR for two) that also use it.

http://www.gsmworld.com/using/security/index.shtml

Using a link I've previously posted on modaco,

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis

you can do IMEI analysis and find the country of origin / type approval for an IMEI. Doesn't help with parrallel imports though :-(

Richard

Guest mini_man
I'd be careful saying that sort of thing in a public forum. If an SPV is barred and you try to use it on a UK network it comes up as 'denied' where the network name / status should be, not 'no service' or 'searching' as the seller lists. They just say that it could be blocked / barred to cover themselves as they are too lazy to ring orange and check the IMEI with them. I'd say it's more likely that there is a fault with this handset or someone's tried recasing this phone and not swopped the aeriel over inside the aeriel cover. It happens.....

I gave the details to jon and he forwarded them on to the police just incase as it does seem suspicious to me still as well as the fact it was on the same day and he may have just switched the timezones to change the listing times or somthing.

Guest fluffcat1
there were no majour noticable scratchs marks etc

the phones imea was 356134000060076

ipod sn 4j512ay8ps9

I see you're in Leeds. On Monday, ring up CEX / Computer exchange ( opposite the Virgin megatore, can't remember street ), Big Deal on the Headrow, Richer Sounds on Vicar lane ( trust me, do ring them, they get scroats offering ipods all the time), the Apple Store near the Merrion Centre and the cash generator off the A64 York Road near Halfords, and give them your crime ref. and these seriels and see what they can do.

p.s it's IMEI - International Mobile Equipment Identifier, if you say IMEA they may not understand...

Richard

Guest fluffcat1
I gave the details to jon and he forwarded them on to the police just incase as it does seem suspicious to me still as well as the fact it was on the same day and he may have just switched the timezones to change the listing times or somthing.

Why not just ask the ( ebay powerseller with over a thousand feedback and 100% positive) seller what the imei is?

"ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK SELLER. "

You can't make them up as they have checksums - they are easily checkable on the link above as well. Besides, you can't switch the timezones to give an earlier start time, so unless aforementioned ebay seller has a silver DeLorean that does funny things at 88mph it isn't this phone unless he knew he was going to nick one that night....

Richard

I see you're in Leeds. On Monday, ring up CEX / Computer exchange ( opposite the Virgin megatore, can't remember street ), Big Deal on the Headrow, Richer Sounds on Vicar lane ( trust me, do ring them, they get scroats offering ipods all the time), the Apple Store near the Merrion Centre and the cash generator off the A64 York Road near Halfords, and give them your crime ref. and these seriels and see what they can do.

p.s it's IMEI - International Mobile Equipment Identifier, if you say IMEA they may not understand...

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers never even thought of that, i pop by leeds on the way to get teh train to work so ill drop off the details to them all

never knew richer sounds took secodn hand gear though, is the cash converters walking distance from city centre? (CEX is on albian street :) )

Edited by Jon_

Guest fluffcat1
Cheers never even thought of that, i pop by leeds on the way to get teh train to work so ill drop off the details to them all

never knew richer sounds took secodn hand gear though, is the cash converters walking distance from city centre?

Where was it stolen? There are other shops in the surrounding area - York, Bradford etc etc.

Cash convertors isn't walkable, it's 2 or 3 miles out down the A64 near Sheepscar / Meanwood ish. I'm sure ringing them is just as good.

Richersounds don't really take 2nd hand stuff in but like I said, they do get offered it, especially being so close to the apple store. Funny thing is, they never get any boxed units or with accessories offered.....

EDIT - also keep an eye on the Yorkshire Evening Press free adds etc. I once found someone elses's Arcam CD player in the Manchester Loot and offered the guy the choice of returning it or going to the police as I had the sticker off the box with the seriel number on proving it. Guess which he chose. Course, you've kinda got to be a bit psycho to try that with someone who robbed you at knifepoint....

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

on my doorstep - my road is off monk bridge road (runs betwen shaw lane - meanwood road, so good old LS6

the officer from robbey squad seamed to think the robber was from the woodhouse area

there was a couple of similar attacks in the hyde park area teh same night 30 mins after i was done

Edited by Jon_

EDIT - also keep an eye on the Yorkshire Evening Press free adds etc. I once found someone elses's Arcam CD player in the Manchester Loot and offered the guy the choice of returning it or going to the police as I had the sticker off the box with the seriel number on proving it. Guess which he chose. Course, you've kinda got to be a bit psycho to try that with someone who robbed you at knifepoint....

my girlfriend will be able to check that for me, works in a pr office and gets copies of all the newspapers, (and she gets the job to read them all!)

Guest mini_man
unless aforementioned ebay seller has a silver DeLorean that does funny things at 88mph it isn't this phone unless he knew he was going to nick one that night....

:)

it could have bin dr who?