Push Email.....

Guest xpmobile

Guest xpmobile

I've just decided to treat myself to a new M5000, overally fairly pleased, although after using a Blackberry for 3 years I'm struggling to find any push email solution for the m5000.

Does one exist?

Guest bronksy

One may exist.. but it's not quite ready for WM5.. there is something by smartner, which worked great on the M2000 but they tell me the WM5 version won't be around till Q2...don't bother emailing them because they take 2 weeks to reply..but if you want to see then it's www.smartner.com

Don't install it on your PPC.. it freezes and causes it to completely screw up.. it really won't even work a bit.. you'll have to wait for them to update it but don't hold your breath!

Guest chucky.egg

Doesn't Blackberry Connect just connect other devices to a Blackberry server? So you'd have to have the Blackberry server for it to work - it's not just a portable push email service.

FWIW: Orange are saying AKU2 will be out around April, for that to work you'll still need an Exchange server with MSFP.

Guest sparks1061
One may exist.. but it's not quite ready for WM5.. there is something by smartner, which worked great on the M2000 but they tell me the WM5 version won't be around till Q2...don't bother emailing them because they take 2 weeks to reply..but if you want to see then it's www.smartner.com

Don't install it on your PPC.. it freezes and causes it to completely screw up.. it really won't even work a bit.. you'll have to wait for them to update it but don't hold your breath!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This morning I recieved a copy of Smartner for WM5, I haven't had chance to try it yet but will let you know how I get on

Guest abhayseth

Any news on when BB is going to release the software of the connect for the smartphones. The last i heard was they were going to release a beta in jan. Anyone has any latest information pls update.

The software you might want to look for is the Blackberry Connect, I understand that o2 are trialing it in Ireland.  I think the link is BlackBerry Connect hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest bronksy
This morning I recieved a copy of Smartner for WM5, I haven't had chance to try it yet but will let you know how I get on

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did you get hold of it.. I can't see it on the website?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
FWIW: Orange are saying AKU2 will be out around April, for that to work you'll still need an Exchange server with MSFP.

Incedentally AKU2 will contain the MSFP (along with things like A2DP support for stereo BT headsets) for Windows Mobile devices. For your exchange server to support all the new features (eg remote wipe) you need service pack 2 for exchange installed.

Guest chucky.egg

Ah, am I being dense here?

I thought there was an MSFP component for the Exchange server -

is it the case that the MSFP bit is purely for the handset, and all you need on the server is SP2?

Guest sparks1061
How did you get hold of it.. I can't see it on the website?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The company I work for here in Finland has an enterprise agreement,

Have been using it for a week now and it seems fine,

Guest Confucious

I've just got my Exchange server running (sort of, still got to change the mx for my domain) and am already for the MSFP when it is released by O2 this week ;)

Guest pupton

There are a couple of other push email products worth mentioning for those people that dont need/want email pushed from an Exchange server.

The first one is Pocket Xpress Pocket Xpress. This is expensive and doesnt sync deletes back to the server but it does push email to the M5000/universal.

The second product is VGSMail VGSMail. the website looks a bit basic but dont let this put you off. As a product that does what it says on the tin, its the one to go for. I like it because it does sync deletes and its alot cheaper too.

Smartner/Seven have got a version of their product out but its only available for their professional & enterprise editions. There isnt a client for the Internet edition yet. The Pro version requires a server upgrade to V5 of their product and needs ports opened out to the Internet so its not as easy to implement for some companies that operate their outbound traffic in a closed state.

Im currently running the VGSMail product and am very impressed with it.... ;)

Thought i'd just throw these products in because push email can be achieved without an Exchange server...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flamingcrumb

The Smartner/SEVEN Always-On Mail Internet edition is available for individual users on a subcription basis. Maybe they have better products for enterprise customers but the individual version does NOT offer true push email, despite their claim to the contrary. I tried it out. You can link it to the POP3 account of your choice and the client runnung on your handeheld polls for mail every 5 to 15 minutes, depending on your settings. It is a reliable pull email service but I do not consider this product to be push mail at all. In my mind push email means you get your emails in seconds, not every 15 minutes. In my opinion SEVEN are falsely describing thre Always-On Internet Edition and I personally think it is overpriced at 50 US dollars per year... especially as it is NOT even real push email.

I too am currently running the VGSMail product. It is at www.vgsmail.com/ppc and there is trial version for download. An Individual developer named Geoff created it and the commerial release is new. It works very well, but it is fair to say it is still in active development by an enterprising Individual who also hosts a useful forum on his product and he actively listens and responds to user feedback.

To use vgsmail you have to have an email account which supports the IMAP IDLE command. No email account is included. The product only costs just 20 US dollars one time with all future updates included. Plus there is trial version to try first. I am using ot under WM2003 SE but I think WM5 is supported as well.

Guest pupton

If you link Smartner to an imap4 account it'll push email in real time. The 15 minute poll is only put in place when using their services with a pop3 account.