Overclock your Wizard

Guest omegaone

Guest omegaone

Some nice Russians have released a way to overclock the TI processor. Works fine on my Qtek 9100, but note this has the potential to do irreprible damage to your device, so use at your own risk.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=236173

For my Qtek the following values work:

240Mhz

264Mhz

276Mhz

288Mhz

I haven't tried using it at these speeds for long, but good news is if you use it on Wi-Fi you can get 2 way Skype calls working on the device. I tried with EDGE but only got a one way conversation. :)

Guest Swampie
Some nice Russians have released a way to overclock the TI processor. Works fine on my Qtek 9100, but note this has the potential to do irreprible damage to your device, so use at your own risk.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=236173

For my Qtek the following values work:

240Mhz

264Mhz

276Mhz

288Mhz

I haven't tried using it at these speeds for long, but good news is if you use it on Wi-Fi you can get 2 way Skype calls working on the device. I tried with EDGE but only got a one way conversation. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does it do to your battery life though?

not sure if its a great idea ... ok its not amazingly zippy but it works and overclocking a pda, you cant cool it any more and as swampy points out its just going to kane the battery life.

I would be intereseted to see any results you've got from overclocking it

how about underclocking it to increase battery life?

Guest omegaone

You can underclock it with this app down to a potential 60Mhz. As you guys state, it will of course affect the battery life, and will make the processor run hotter. However, if you need a bit more speed for a short time (like when running Skype) it could be useful.

One interesting thing I found, if you turn the device off and on again the processor speed reverts to the old speed.

Guest spacemonkey

A general rule of thumb on these kind of devices is that heat isn't a big issue, normally processor speeds are set to balance battery life against performance. Can't guarantee that this is definitely the case for the wizard of course...

Any tips around setting up the autorun for those of us too lazy to figure it out ourselves?

you can set it up to auto run when the device starts and when it comes out of standby etc, so the clock speed can be made to stick etc

Guest Wozbacca

i use my vario to stream divx or xvid over wifi or alternatively stream the IT crowd from the channel4 website...

I have to say that the performance is a bit lame compared to my old m2000 however the omap overclock does make it watchable.

i love the vario, i just hate the 200mhz cpu after using my m2000

Guest Pondrew
i love the vario, i just hate the 200mhz cpu after using my m2000

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Wozbacca, after overclocking my HTC Charmer (MDA Compact II with the same processor as your Vario) to 250MHz it slightly outperformed the Blue Angel in TCPMP's benchmark. So the OMAP processor must be pretty capable to outperform the 400MHz Intel at just 250MHz...

Guest Wozbacca

ooh interesting...

i might have to look up the script to run the overclock app on bootup and on resume from standby

on a similar thought, is it possible to underclock it to be about 100mhz when in standby, and as soon as you turn it on (so to speak) it cranks up to 250mhz... so battery life would be better when its switched off, and still be speedy when powered up.