Best, cheapest, bluetooth GPS for MDA Vario

Guest Swampie

Guest Swampie

I'm intending to get an MDA Vario next month. Funds are tight, and I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I would like to try setting up a sat-nav solution using the MDA Vario.

I've seen a number of cheap bluetooth GPS modules on Ebay and other GPS online retailers. I've heard that SIRF (?) III is better than other, older chipsets, and I'm aware that the cheaper modules tend not to be III. However cost is a biggie for me and I'd like to see how cheap I could get a working solution.

I'm aware that I could get TomTom Navigator 5 for around £175, and spending £50 on a GPS unit, and then spending £100 on the TomTom Navigator 5 software doesn't give much of a saving - but it all helps, especially if I can find some good deals on the individual bits.

The question is though, how good are these other GPS units, and has anyone used these cheap ones? Any problems with them?

Thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]

Sirf III is the better units to get and the TomTom's own unit is hard to beat. One of the more popular units are the globalsat units, these come under various different labels and can picked up quite cheaply on ebay.

The downside to not using a TomTom unit is you can sometimes have fun getting the GPS to talk to TomTom properly.

Guest GordonTGopher
The question is though, how good are these other GPS units, and has anyone used these cheap ones?  Any problems with them?

Chack out the forums at Pocket GPS World for some good reviews. I have upgraded to a SIRF 3 and get better accuracy, quicker location fix and don't need the GPS as close to the window (indeed it works inside the house!)

What do you want the GPS for? In general driving use the main difference you will find is you may loose signal under trees or in high rise areas quicker with the older unit.

Gordon

Guest zombiefly
mine works fine, got it form here

http://www.inter-activeinformation.com/uk/...d026bd6b83132fb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have this one also. cheap and cheerful.

It works 100% for my needs. By that i mean if i need to use the GPS, i can pair the device (this stage can be a bit fiddly but i've now got a routine that always works), Load up tomtom and be on my way within 2 mins. during travel, the GPS nearly always has full signal strength.

so, if its general use you want it for, this device is a steal at 30-40 quid. I cant justify spending the extra on a more expensive gps as i dont really go anywhere lol

one thing i will say about tomtom 5 on the wizard.... it turns into a slideshow when using 3d map with POI's enabled. I've had to disable displaying most POI's with the exception of speed cams.

Guest Drewtech

Check out the t-mobile contract options with Co-pilot. You can basically get co-pilot for almost nothing. mobile-fun had then but I don't know if anyone else do.

Guest Swampie
Check out the t-mobile contract options with Co-pilot. You can basically get co-pilot for almost nothing. mobile-fun had then but I don't know if anyone else do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly, I've never heard a positive comment made about Mobilefun. All I've heard about them are how they lie about stock "In stock - order today - arrive tomorrow", only to be told after you've ordered it'll be 14 days before they get stock. Then when you cancel the order (as it's too long to wait) and buy else where, they still charge you and ship the goods to you anyway (meaning you now have 2 items at twice the price).

I've just heard too many bad things about Mobilefun to ever consider them.

Secondly, yes T-Mobile do bundles with Co-pilot. To cut a long story short, buying a Co-pilot /Vario bundle from Mobilefun on Web'n'Walk 100 is about £35 more expensive than buying Co-pilot separately. If you want TomTom Navigator, then it's still about £15 cheaper buying it separately than the Mobilefunn Co-pilot bundle.

Guest ultimate_fish

Well here's a positive comment about mobilefun. I've ordered a few things from them with no problems at all. I bought on of the cheapo 12 channel bluetooth GPS receivers they do, it's only 12 channels but I've found the reception to be ok so far. No problems pairing it with my Vario and tomtom5.21 is happy with it.

i have this one also. cheap and cheerful.

It works 100% for my needs. By that i mean if i need to use the GPS, i can pair the device (this stage can be a bit fiddly but i've now got a routine that always works), Load up tomtom and be on my way within 2 mins. during travel, the GPS nearly always has full signal strength.

so, if its general use you want it for, this device is a steal at 30-40 quid. I cant justify spending the extra on a more expensive gps as i dont really go anywhere lol

one thing i will say about tomtom 5 on the wizard.... it turns into a slideshow when using 3d map with POI's enabled. I've had to disable displaying most POI's with the exception of speed cams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your finding like me that you have to drop and repair the bluetooth reciever each time you use it, there is a simple fix, just uncheck 'secure connection' on the outgoing serial port, and it works every time :)

Guest Drewtech
Firstly, I've never heard a positive comment made about Mobilefun.  All I've heard about them are how they lie about stock "In stock - order today - arrive tomorrow", only to be told after you've ordered it'll be 14 days before they get stock.  Then when you cancel the order (as it's too long to wait) and buy else where, they still charge you and ship the goods to you anyway (meaning you now have 2 items at twice the price).

I've just heard too many bad things about Mobilefun to ever consider them.

Secondly, yes T-Mobile do bundles with Co-pilot.  To cut a long story short, buying a Co-pilot /Vario bundle from Mobilefun on Web'n'Walk 100 is about £35 more expensive than buying Co-pilot separately.  If you want TomTom Navigator, then it's still about £15 cheaper buying it separately than the Mobilefunn Co-pilot bundle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I have bought from Mobile Fun twice. The first time they were great, the second time (this Xmas) they weren't. I got the Co-Pilot/Vario Bundle on WnW 200 for exactly nothing. In fact I got two for the same price. I am paying less for two hand sets with two Sat Navs nearly 4 times the minutes and 8 times the Data than I was on Orange. I have just looked at the current deals on Mobile Fun and they are a bit more expensive now - okay a lot more expensive. Next time I will look before making suggestions.

Guest peterweg
Well I have bought from Mobile Fun twice. The first time they were great, the second time (this Xmas) they weren't. I got the Co-Pilot/Vario Bundle on WnW 200 for exactly nothing. In fact I got two for the same price. I am paying less for two hand sets with two Sat Navs nearly 4 times the minutes and 8 times the Data than I was on Orange. I have just looked at the current deals on Mobile Fun and they are a bit more expensive now - okay a lot more expensive. Next time I will look before making suggestions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can confirm mobilefun.co.uk lie about having stock and delivery times. They caused me a serious problem by doing so and I'll never buy from them again.

As for GPS. One of the best is the Holux GPS Slim 236. Not the cheapest though. Sirf III is essential for any GPS these days.

I got mine from PDAMods, fairly cheap, don't go for the one at the top with the cheap GPS unit as it was so bad I had to send mine back.

I thought the price they have for the package with the official TomTom is pretty good and the official device is v.good.