3GSM: Orange to release HTC Prophet as M600

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Orange have just announced at 3GSM that they are to release the HTC Prophet (aka iMate JamIn / Dopod 818 Pro) as the SPV M600.

The device, which features Windows Mobile 5, EDGE, WiFi and a 2 MegaPixel Camera in a Magician (SPV M500) like form factor has been very well received in iMate and Dopod variations, and will make a great addition to the Orange device line up.

The device will ship with AKU2 / MSFP preinstalled for Bluetooth A2DP, push email etc., and will be a worthy successor to the M500.

More info as we get it... and credit to Gears @ CoolSmartphone for the initial heads up (Orange, where were you?).

Edit: Press Release now copied below, courtesy of the O press team :)

P

HTC and Orange launch latest Signature Device – SPV M600

• Powerful compact PDA with latest Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 platform offers high speed data and multi-media communications 

• Another first-to-market from Orange

15 February 2006, Barcelona; HTC, the global leader in Microsoft® Windows Mobile-based devices, and Orange, one of the world’s largest mobile communications companies, today announced the latest slim-line, ultra-powerful compact PDA with Microsoft® push email capability for the European market.  The handset runs on the Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0 platform and supports quad-band EDGE, GPRS, GSM, delivering instant high speed voice and data communications for the mobile workforce and consumer segments.

“We are delighted to work with Orange as our key launch partner for the latest version of our successful compact PDA platform,” said Florian Seiche, Vice President of HTC Europe.  “In our experience a product with this level of style and muscle always makes an impact.  Throw in the fact that businesses can synch this device to their Microsoft® servers for true push email and Orange, and their customers, will be more than happy.”

Initially available from Orange in the UK, France and the Netherlands as the SPV M600, the device is a strikingly compact PDA in sleek black finish and supports cutting edge Bluetooth 2.0 and built-in Wi-Fi capabilities (dual support of 802.11b and 802.11g).  The device is also equipped with a powerful 2 mega pixel camera and offers 128MB Flash ROM.

“Partnering with HTC has allowed us to provide our customers with handsets that offer PDA functionality with the mass market appeal of Microsoft® email synchronisation,” said Yves Maitre, Vice President Devices Orange Group. “If you’re tired of lugging around a bag full of gizmos, the Orange SPV M600 is the phone for you. It’s a phone, a PDA, a camera, a digital music player and an  email device, all wrapped up in a single elegant package.”

post-1-1140009519_thumb.jpg

post-1-1140009536_thumb.jpg post-1-1140009549_thumb.jpg

Guest ddieter

Maybe the Orange Press team should start talking to the Orange Customer Retention Team.

Just got my JAMin today bundled with an O2 package.

Asked for my PAC code a couple ago and explained to them I was leaving as they didn't have a comparable device.

If they told me this was just around the corner, maybe I would have considered waiting around.

Ah well.

Guest chucky.egg
No doubt this is another paper release by Orange and we won't see the device for another couple of months or so....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're talking about April 06

Guest ClintEastman
No doubt this is another paper release by Orange and we won't see the device for another couple of months or so....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha ha as ever!!

And when it is released half the staff will try to tell you you're talking about the c600 and the only way to get one will be to cancel your contract and become a "New" customer. Then the stock will run out. :)

Guest creamhackered
Ha ha as ever!!

And when it is released half the staff will try to tell you you're talking about the c600 and the only way to get one will be to cancel your contract and become a "New" customer. Then the stock will run out.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah exactly. I remember the hassle trying to get the M500...

Guest nickcornaglia

Speaking of that...what is that homescreen? Not like any PPC layout I've seen before. Is this a proprietary Today screen plugin like their Smartphone Homescreen?

I got to get me one of these!

hopefully the camera won't leave me wanting for my K750i too much.

Been waiting to get back to a decent smartphone for far too long...

Bring it on Orange... preferably this side of Summer!!!

I have this device, its pretty good. But some features were really annoying though.

One problem (or may be I dont' know how to use it). I had the average mob phone before this, and my contacts were on that phone ofcourse. To transfer this accross was the biggest problem. I transfered the contacts from my Sharp GX15. to my contacts in Outlook 2003. It wouldn't sync up (kept saying connecting, and just kept giving up). So couldn't do it that way.

Tried transfering them using the sim card. Seems like you have to copy the contacts ONE BY ONE!! Thats crap.

Eventually I had to transfer them using blue tooth ONE BY ONE. As the sim card wouldn't hold more than 200 contacts.

but I got over that..

If any of you have this phone, do you know if we can install windows Pocket PC 2003 on this?

cheers

I have this device, its pretty good. But some features were really annoying though.

One problem (or may be I dont' know how to use it). I had the average mob phone before this, and my contacts were on that phone ofcourse. To transfer this accross was the biggest problem. I transfered the contacts from my Sharp GX15. to my contacts in Outlook 2003. It wouldn't sync up (kept saying connecting, and just kept giving up). So couldn't do it that way.

Tried transfering them using the sim card. Seems like you have to copy the contacts ONE BY ONE!! Thats crap.

Eventually I had to transfer them using blue tooth ONE BY ONE. As the sim card wouldn't hold more than 200 contacts.

but I got over that..

If any of you have this phone, do you know if we can install windows Pocket PC 2003 on this?

cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why on Earth would you want to put PPC 2003 on it??!?!?!?

I just wondered... hehe

sorry new to the PDA scene. Thought would be better OS for it..

obviously not.

Do you know why it wouldn't sync up? Activesync is installed on the comptuer...they both *try* and communicate.. but doesn't happen..

Guest Swampie
The eten M600 looks nice, but it's not the same phone as the HTC Prophet / Orange M600, is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it's not an HTC device at all, so isn't the same as the HTC Prophet / Orange M600.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Speaking of that...what is that homescreen? Not like any PPC layout I've seen before. Is this a proprietary Today screen plugin like their Smartphone Homescreen?

Yep - i've never had an Orange PPC phone, but i think its just another Today Plugin that can be disabled. Personally i find the Orange homescreen (now on all mid-high range orange phones) very useful, however i'm aware a lot of people aren't so keen... :)

Guest dougsdir

sorry for my ignorance, but is this new phone a Pocket PC?

I already have a XDA II and and old SPV e200.

I quite fancied buying the T-Mobile Vario but if this is better I might hang on a while.

I have TomTom for Pocket PC , thats why im asking.

Edited by dougsdir

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.