Wizard Newbie Questions..

Guest ripnet

Hi,

Ive just bought a Wizard - not sure if i like it yet... can anyone take the time to answer a couple of questions for me to save having to read the entire manual please?

1. How do you unlock the thing using keys? i press soft1 and it says press * to continue, but it aint got a * key :) also, how do you lock it without having to tap the lock icon?

2. Can I unbrand it? O2 have put a silly menu down the side of the today screen, and it seems to be slow. I just want it how Microsoft intended

3. I had a missed call, and it wont stop telling me about it! each time i press ok, it waits a sec or 2 and then tells me again. I have called him back :D (update - it seems to have stopped, but i dont believe he tried to ring me 20 times :))

Would I be better off flashing a i-mate rom, to get rid of all o2 crap?

4. Any recommendations for a good task manager? i use wisbar on my Tosh e800, but i guess things have moved on in the last year or so :D

5. It keeps returning to the today screen. I select phone from the start menu, and it decides to go back to the today screen while i am dialing. Now, it keeps doing the opposite - it keeps displaying the dialing screen, even though i press close...

Hope these are o2 issues, not general wizard issues, and that I can flash a imate rom or a tmobile rom for better performance.

6. I cant find the gps redirect thing - aparently wm5 allows you to redirect bluetooth gps to a com port, and use it on multiple apps at once... any idea where it lives?

Generally quite impressed so far :D mapopolis works lovely, as does tcpmp which are the main 2 apps for the phone. If i can unlock and dial without using the touchscreen, i woudl be quite happy...

Its quite chunky though, but ive already seen the advantage of the qwerty keyboard :D

thanks

g

Guest adchaffey

Hi,

1. There is not way as yet to unlock the device using only the keys. There are a few threads on here talking about this issue.

2. Not entirely sure what you mean by 'silly menu' as i have the T-mobile version of the wizard, but in settings->today you can change what is displayed on the today screen. You should be able to disable that here.

3. Again a few threads metion this so search them for more info, but i'd recommend doing a hard reset of the device and installing the corporate install. This may fix some issues and certainly speed up the device.

4. Not using a task manager at the mo, so can't really comment!

5. Strange. As mentioned, try the hard reset and cross your fingers. Not heard of this issue before, and i certainly don't have any problems with my Vario.

6. Can't help here, not really played around with com ports.

Hope this helps. And hope you learn to love the device! I know i do!

Found out that you can hard reset, then soft reset in the 3 seconds warning that O2 is going to install crap. Now its seems a lot more responsive...

EDIT - turns out its better to let O2 install the basic settings - that doesnt install the crappy menu down the side that seems to slow. If you dont do this, it doesnt install the smart dialer, so you cannot start to t9 in someones name to call them, which is one of the smartest things on MS smartphones in terms of phone function :)

g

Edited by ripnet