Help I've knackered my screen!

Guest icemonkeysteve

Guest icemonkeysteve

I recently got myself an imate kjam and initally things were going swimmingly- little problem with firewalls and activesync but that got sorted. Then a few weeks ago disaster strikes- broken screen! ](*,)

The break is pretty bad and I have 'leaking ink' syndrome :) I know that generally the lcd assemblies have to be bought as one (touchscreen and lcd together). By the look of it i think both are broken anyway.

Where can I get myself a replacement lcd assembly from?

I have tried many places with speculative emails (see list below) and have been able to find a few screens for the jam/mda compact but not for my kjam- does anyone know if they are the same/compatible? I originally got the phone from expansys and am going to call them tomorrow.

Help me please!

Places I have tried:

pdaparts.com

htceurope.com

mobilefun.co.uk

siansmobiles.co.ku

sparepartsformobilephones.co.uk

pdasmart.com

pocketpctechs.com (ppctechs.com)

and more that I can't remember!

Guest fluffcat1

You are right, most places will only sell the entire LCM assembly, it's only the 'parts harvesters' that split the digitiser from the screen and sell used parts, they don't come like that new.

Expansys use SBE ltd for imate repairs and you'd be as well contacting them directly ( www.sbeltd.com ?) but be warned they are poor on the service side, will charge you a fair bit and have to wait 6 weeks for deliveries of parts from Dubai according to one person with a Jasjar issue at xda-dev...

Avoid Apexlaptops as well....they charge almost as much as a new unit, and when I asked about availability of the two different types of blueangel LCD they didn't know there were two types :shock:

HTCeurope *may* do an out of warranty repair but recently stopped offering to repair units they didn't have a contract with ( non orange / t-mob) due to differences in mainboards across the device types, or so they say. Sadly using an xdaiis / blueangel as an example they are the cheapest out-of-warranty repairer by a *long* way.

Exactly how confident are you at fitting it yourself? If no joy you could always sell it for spares on ebay....

Richard

Guest Swampie

Do you have household insurance which might cover a replacement/repair? Certainly the insurance I have would cover these sorts of things, although you do have an excess, it's probably cheaper than paying for the repair yourself.

Guest icemonkeysteve

Prices quoted so far have varied immensely and the part itself appears remarkably hard to track down, especially considering both tmobile and o2 have started supplying the phone directly to the high street!

I was about to phone expansys but found the link on their site listing who you should contact for repairs, in my case clubimate - > sbe (as fluff cat pointed out). Hence I phoned them directly and got a quote for parts and repairs which, on the surface at least, seems quite reasonable considering the price of screens on their own (~£125).

I don't know about the household insurance issue. I knew someone would suggest it but i figure that the cost of repairs wouldnt justify shelling out for a brand new phone on the insurance... However we shall see- I may have to eat my words!

Guest fluffcat1

Expansys also act as an agent for ppctechs in the USA so might be able to do it that way through them? SBE are for imates *within warranty*.

I don't like SBE :evil:

http://www.modaco.com/Imate_sp3i_repair_sb...uk-t228119.html

If you do go with them, take lots of photos of the condition of the device before sending it, and get them to confrim in writing/email if possible that they have the screen in stock and the final price they will charge to fit it. Like I explained earlier, someone with a Universal ( Jasjar) was quoted a 6 week lead time by SBE for parts they have to order in from imate as imate are based in Dubai.

Richard

p.s it isn't suprising you can't find the screen despite it being on 'the high street' in o2 / t-mob stores etc - as they're not meant for consumer level repairs, and no HTC device parts are available over the counter AFAIK, not just for the wizard.

You need to know where to look :)

Edited by fluffcat1