Upgrading ROM on SMT5600?

Guest mmmaiki

Guest mmmaiki

I have an Audiovox SMT5600, originally locked to ATT Wireless USA, now unlocked (both carrier and application unlocked), being used with T-Mobile USA. WM2003.

I know Audiovox/UT Starcom has not released any ROM upgrades for this phone. Yet, I have seen on forums (including this one) notices of ROM upgrades for other brand names of this same phone (HTC Typhoon), for instance for the QTEK 8100.

Will one of these ROMs or other firmware upgrades for other brands of HTC Typhoon work on the SMT5600? Will they improve its functionality?

Guest derekyeu
I have an Audiovox SMT5600, originally locked to ATT Wireless USA, now unlocked (both carrier and application unlocked), being used with T-Mobile USA. WM2003.

I know Audiovox/UT Starcom has not released any ROM upgrades for this phone. Yet, I have seen on forums (including this one) notices of ROM upgrades for other brand names of this same phone (HTC Typhoon), for instance for the QTEK 8100.

Will one of these ROMs or other firmware upgrades for other brands of HTC Typhoon work on the SMT5600? Will they improve its functionality?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I loaded a Dopod ROM on my SMT5600. It seems to work just fine. This ROM also have the Window Media Player 10, so I'm really not missing anything. Since this is a Chinese ROM, now I can read/write in Chinese too. That's a plus for me. Java was not working with the At&t ROM before, now Opera Mini works like a charm!

Derek

Guest mmmaiki
I loaded a Dopod ROM on my SMT5600. It seems to work just fine. This ROM also have the Window Media Player 10, so I'm really not missing anything. Since this is a Chinese ROM, now I can read/write in Chinese too. That's a plus for me. Java was not working with the At&t ROM before, now Opera Mini works like a charm!

Derek

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I wouldn't want a Chinese ROM.

Which is the best ROM that works on the SMT5600, in English? One that would not lock or brand the phone to a particular carrier.

I think WMP10 came on my SMT5600 at the start. Wasn't it already on yours? I rarely use it though, as I use the much better freeware media player TCPMP (http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about)

I downloaded one ROM for the Typhoon that I found online, but I don't know if it would work on my SMT5600, don't know if it would be an improvement, and don't know how to flash the ROM. It is from the QTEK 8010, the version number has 213211 in it. Anyone familiar with that ROM?

Edited by mmmaiki