Help! Think I hosed my 5600

Guest tomsull

Guest tomsull

My phone is an AT&T 5600. I just got a Cingular 2125 upgrade phone, so I thought I'd try playing with the 5600, with the possible eventual goal of getting to a version of Windows Mobile 5.0.

I was trying to get the download/boot sequence to prompt me for an IU when holding down the camera button and inserting the USB cable. It goes to the color bar screen but never prompts for "Need an IU (0). So, I did some reading and saw that a download called IU _SPL +Patched RUU .exe would do the trick. The instructions said just run Patched RUU.

Well, I did this, not realizing that it was going to reflash my entire phone! I nervously followed the wizard, assuming it would just reset the IPL to allow the IU prompt. But, it reflashed the whole thing to turn it into an Orange Phone!

It no longer works on the network, and I can't use any of the AE Config or reset security.zip to app unlock it; it also will no longer allow me to run the cert.cab file for SPV Services. In each case, it says that the program isn't digitally signed with a trusted cert, or when I try to install cert.cab to provide a trusted root cert (from SPV Services and Typhoon Nbf Tools) it won't install saying it doesn't have adequate system permissions. Likewise, I can no longer check to see if the SIM is locked/unlocked with SPV Services, which fails trying to read the current state.

1) I REALLY want to get back to my AT&T flash; I see that there are backup instructions for this here, but I found these only after I'd hosed it. I found that here, btw:

http://www.modaco.com/Backup_your_T...OM-t201334.html

If anyone has an AT&T ROM image backup, please email me so I can get it. I really want to just get the phone back to where I started.

2) The discussions on Patched RUU say that it can load arbitrary NBF's, but I don't see anywhere in the UI to specify which one. How is this done?

3) I also found the remote client that Arisme created, the dll Typhoon NBF Tools.dll. Where do you put this? It never seems to activate the new funtionality when I run Typhoon NBF Tools?

4) If someone knows how to unlock this Orange ROM, I can try that, but the procedures I saw that seemed to work on the 5600 no longer work on this ROM. Any ideas?

Thanks...I really need some help.

Guest tomsull

Got a little further. Turns out, I must have had an Orange NBF file around that I didn't realize, so when I ran PATCHED RUU, it loaded the ORANGE NBF. I had it in the same directory, but renamed as xxx.nbf_sav (but I guess that it just ignored the extra extension).

I moved that file into another directory, and ran Patched RUU again, this time it loaded the SPVDEVS SPL.nbf which gave me the IU prompt when booting it for download.

SO, it looks like it updated my GSM ROM to the Orange one. I really need to get the AT&T (Cingular would actually be preferred at this point) GSM FLASH back. Right now, even though the phone is happily SIM unlocked, it sees no signal even though my 2125 sees one just fine.

Again, can someone help me with that?

Finally, I managed to get app security turned off so I could try the SPV Services app by first doing this:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...igitally+signed

Then running the reset security zip file (with Rapi config.exe in it).

I could then install the SPV Services cab file and run the app.

SO, I'm in good shape EXCEPT I need to get back to the ATT or Cingular GSM Flash. Can anyone assist?

Thanks...Tom

Guest tomsull
No official download exists AFAIK, but have you tried giving UTStarcom a call? They support the 5600.

http://www.modaco.com/UTStarcom_support_fo...00-t236581.html

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I managed to get the AT&T nbf image in the full exe install. It's bombing out when it gets to the upload/progress screen saying it's getting a communications error 264. When this screen pops up, the Smartphone reboots into the firmware status screen in IU mode, but nothing else happens, it just hangs. I DO hear the duh DUH USB sound indicating the the phone reconnects to the PC, but nothing else happens.

Could this be because I installed WM 5.0 already? I managed to get that loaded, but the RADIO still thinks it's in Europe; It can't see Cingular, and roams to AT&T, both of which should be local for me. SO, I want to flash back to Windows Moble 2003 - AT&T and start over now that I think I have the process otherwise figured out. Hopefully that will reset my radio/GSM ROM. How can I do that?

Finally, I installed the SPDEVS-SPL.nbf to get past the issues I had above. Did that change something that's breaking the download?

Thanks...Tom