Installing Themes

Guest Honest John

Guest Honest John

I must be being thick or something. :oops:

I have downloaded a couple of theme cab files for my Vario and installed them.

However, when I come to the Today home screen, they are not showing as alternatives to the 3 standard Vairo choices.

I have changed the dialler to the HTC version from the T-Moblie "improvement" and also installed the keyboard case display mod.

Should the themes not automatically appear as alternative choices in the Today Screen options or am I missing something?

If I am, on the face of it, doing all I should be doing, would someone point me to any theme that has worked so that, even if I don't like that one, I can at least prove that all is well with my Vario.

Many thanks.

Guest Disco Stu

I've not heard of cab installers for Pocket PCs. You normally just get a tsk file - the equivalent of an xml file - which you simply drop in to My Documents.

Of course with these new fangled PPCs it may all be different... :?:

Guest Disco Stu
If I am, on the face of it, doing all I should be doing, would someone point me to any theme that has worked so that, even if I don't like that one, I can at least prove that all is well with my Vario.

Many thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried any of the ones on this section ?

Guest Honest John

Yes - I tried following various links in

http://www.modaco.com/T_Mobile_Vario_Dial_Pad-t236729.html

but without success. Specifically, the one with the RAZR dial pad didn't work and when I de-installed it, I had no dial pad at all!.

Luckily, I checked the Registry and discovered it had recreated a Dialer and Progress entry (see above link) and renamed them just as I did to lose the T-Mobile dial pad.

So, still no luck. (Yes I did switch off and soft reset)

• 11 months later...

Need to bump this thread.

I need some help with installing themes. I've downloaded some from this site(and all req. plugins), but they dont show up in "Today". All of the themes have been .xml. I've tried to put them in "storage\application data\home\" and "My Documents\", but they dont show up :)

I got a HTC TyTN with Windows Mobile 5... Do I need to convert them or anything(xml to tsk)?

You need to trash the .xml ones and look for .tsk files :D

Whats the .xml-files for then? :D

From http://www.w411y.tk/

How to install homescreens

1) Click download on selected homescreen and save file

2) Unpack the download using WinRar

3) Connect device to computer and open up Active Sync. Click 'Explore' and go to 'Storage\Application Data\Home'

4) Copy and paste *.home.xml and *.jpg from the unpacked download to 'Storage\Application Data\Home'

5) On device go to Start-Settings-Homescreen and select the homescreen, ensuring that background image and colour scheme are set to default.

Is there any way to convert/pack xml to tsk? I got the tsk files to work(in my documents). But i'd love to get those fancy one too :)

edit. Just found out that Smartphone and Pocket PC isnt the same thing.. Whats the major difference and why doesn't SP VM5 plugins dont run under PPC VM5? Does this mean I'll never gonna get cool today themes(like w411ys)?

Edited by Wimp

Guest Disco Stu

I've never heard of any software or method of doing the conversion but then it all comes down to the different way the 2 platforms operate - Smartphone is keypad operated, PPC is touchscreen.

There are probably more themes for PPC than SP from what I've seen. Try Googling the words pocket+PC+theme and you'll find loads of sites with free downloads. Most, if not all, plugins will have a Pocket PC equivalent and you will find there is so much more you can do with that platform. Try SBSH for weather / calendar / etc plugins.

Happy hunting :)

I've never heard of any software or method of doing the conversion but then it all comes down to the different way the 2 platforms operate - Smartphone is keypad operated, PPC is touchscreen.

There are probably more themes for PPC than SP from what I've seen. Try Googling the words pocket+PC+theme and you'll find loads of sites with free downloads. Most, if not all, plugins will have a Pocket PC equivalent and you will find there is so much more you can do with that platform. Try SBSH for weather / calendar / etc plugins.

Happy hunting :)

Yea, just found out :D Been googeling my ass off :) To bad most of the plugins i find suck!

Hopefully I'll find something cool.. :D

Thank you!

Edit:

Finally found what I was looking for :D

http://rotlaus-software.de/projects/rltoday

Customise your today using xml files :D

Edited by Wimp

Guest Lordsmiff
Hopefully I'll find something cool.. :)

Thank you!

Edit:

Finally found what I was looking for :D

http://rotlaus-software.de/projects/rltoday

Customise your today using xml files :D

Hopefully, while you were googling, you came across wisbar and wisbar advance desktop. If not, go and check out www.lakeridgesoftware.com - makes smartphones look like toys ;-)

Cheers,

Smiffy.

• 2 weeks later...

This post has been so helpful thanks. I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong, and I too had found w4lly's very nice homescreens.

I'm such a newbie when it comes to my new m3100, having just upgraded from an SE D750i.

So it there some software (preferably free) I can use to create themes?

TIA