TMobile MDA WiFi doesn't work

Guest jonatj

Greetings all, (first posting)

Just got my TMobile MDA (iMate K-Jam, etc, etc) and lovin' it. I'm pretty comfortable with all the features its a breeze switching over from a Dell Axim to this new Windows Mobile device.

The problem I've found is that although the device will see wireless access points in the neighborhood it won't connect to them. Of course I'm talking about unprotected APs and the AP I have running on my Belkin G router at home.

Here are the typical steps I go through:

1. Turn on WiFi from Comm Manager.

2. Go to Network Cards - Wireless Tab

3. Click and hold on the AP I would like to access and select Connect

The device will then try Connecting... but will switch back to Available status after a few seconds. And usually will move on to the next AP and try Connecting.

I thought that maybe it had a problem with the Belkin G router, so I tried installing the DJVW_HTC_Wizard_Optimizer_2_1_.0.cab patch to change the registry settings for 802.11g networks. But it didn't help.

My workmate also got his device yesterday and we tried connecting it to several unprotected APs in the area with no luck.

I'm beginning to wonder if T-Mobile has modified the device to only connect to T-Mobile Hotspots. Also, I've only tried connecting to unprotected APs, (even my home AP, because I'm too lazy to secure it) and I'm wondering if that could be an issue.

So I'm sending out a call to all T-Mobile MDA owners to see if anyone can connect via WiFi to any non-T-Mobile Hotspot access point.

Thanks,

jonatj

Guest Swampie

T-Mobile crippled the Vario to only allow 802.11b wireless (11Mbps) not the 802.11g (54Mbps) standard.

Thankfully some people have worked out what you need to do - take a look at http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=235348

I tried this, but I don't think it worked for me - so I just turned my network into a mixed mode network until I get to spend more time on it. If you have it B and G type networks, you'll be fine without requiring any changes. If it's G only, you'll have to get the mod working first.

Hope that helps

I assume you`re talking about the Vario.

The best tip for WIFI is to go into Start - Settings - Connections - Wireless LAN - Power Mode and select "best performance". TH machine often won`t connect if its on battery saving levels.

But if you`re trying to connect to a G only network with a B only vario, it will keep trying to connect but never achieve it, just as you are describing.

The wireless G fix (DJVW_HTC_Wizard_Optimizer_2_1_.0.cab patch) did work fine for me, so maybe a combination of the patch and the power settings will work for you.

Hope this helps,

Stomly.

Thank you for your replies.

Changing the Power Save Mode to Best Performance is a good suggestion. And of course the registry tweak to enable 802.11g is something I've already tried. But I have an update.

Since my last post I've gotten the WiFi to work on the MDA. It appears that its a DHCP problem on the client side.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Go to Network Cards and select the SDIO Wireless Adapter

2a. (this maybe optional) Set the My Network Card connects to: Work

2b. Manually assign a valid IP address, Netmask, Gateway and DNS

3. Power off the device (holding power for 5 seconds) and power on

4. Go to Comm Manager and turn on WiFi

Eureka! I have a connection to my AP and the address I manually assigned is working.

After I fooled around with these settings and got it to connect, I found a related post at xda-developers.com - http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=41920.

I hope we figure out what's really happening here.

Thanks,

jonatj