Better MP3 software ?

Guest Disco Stu

Guest Disco Stu

Firstly there is an update to PocketMusic which is now v2.2.

Update Description

1)WMA playback (Windows Mobile 2003 or later required) with 10-band equalizer. 2)Crossfading and Gapless playback.

3)HTTP Streaming for MP3 and Ogg. (Shoutcast and Icecast Internet Radio Stations). 4)Alarm feature – wake up to your favorite music.

5)Sleep timer – stops playback after specified time interval elapses.

6)Adjustable fast forward/rewind speed (in steps from 5 seconds to 3 minutes) – useful for audio books listening.

7)Automatic playback pause on incoming calls

post-4510-1140719494_thumb.jpg

Get it from Smartphone.net or badger the MoDaCo shop to update the download there :)

Even better though is an alternative I've not come across before, though it is now released as v2.7 and comes in PPC version too. Say hello to Pocket Player :

post-4510-1140719891_thumb.jpg

Pocket Player 2.7 is a rockin'' way to enjoy music on your Pocket PC or Smartphone. Through multiple media and playlist formats, plugin extensions, and an intuitive interface, Pocket Player means less taps, more music!

What Makes Pocket Player Different?:

* Full MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, and WAV support

* Protected WMA support, u-Law, A-Law, and ADPCM WAV Playback

* 10-band Equalizer and Preamp, with presets!

* Visualizations and Album Art support

* Track metadata tag support, with browsing!

* Full Pocket PC and Smartphone support, inclding Windows Mobile 5

* Skinnable (Pocket Player skins, WSZ skins)

* Skin hue adjustment: change skin colors

* Themed and skinned Today plugin

* HTTP, Windows Network, Shoutcast, Icecast streaming

* ID3 v1/v1.1/v2 reading; scans playlist in background

* Gapless playback with variable crossfading

* Automatic Microdrive buffering support

* "Local Content" playlist auto-detects all tracks on device

* Playlist manager keeps track of all playlists on device

* Pocket PC Notification Icon playback controls

* DSP Plugin support, including Bass Boost

* User-managed Bookmarks support; jump to a file and time

* For Podcasts and audio books: "Seek to last position", Auto-resume

* Hardware button mapping, button locking

* Bluetooth Remote control and headphones support

* Optional sleep timer

* Automatic screen shutoff

We all know that the former is top class but I'd sincerely recommend your taking a trial with the latter. I've been using Pocket Player today and I'm very impressed with both the ease-of-operation and the music quality.

Get it from MoDaCo Fairdeal

Guest robobeau

I just got my copy of Pocket Player. Damn straight, it's one very fine looking app, and takes up less resources than TCPMP, which I was currently using.

Can't wait to try it on the car with my FM transmitter.

My only gripe is there's no way to set the album art size, but it's just aesthetics. So far, I'm lovin' this app. :)

Edited by robobeau

Guest Disco Stu

Yeah but Pocket Player does Visualisations - far more entertaining, surely ? 8)

The 3 button toggles visualisation, I've just found.

Also you need to go into Menu, Options, Page - Advanced and scroll down and put a tick in 'Hide wav files from Local Content' to stop your ringtones etc from being listed.

There are a whole lot of options there to play around with too.

I'm loving this :)

shoot, for some reason after i installed this program it said the commercial trial is over, must purchase registration key...i've been lookin to try one of these. i dont think my sp5m's speaker is loud enough, maybe this program may help with this issue. Since i cant try it, can anyone give their opinions on the volume boost it gives?

Edited by DsNRaY

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
Does it have fast forward and fast rewind feature like BetaPlayer?

Thanks,

Robert

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pocket Player? Yes. Just hold the Next key to fast forward track. :)

post-12251-1140791707_thumb.jpg

Guest robobeau

Ok, after playing around with it for a great deal, I've found "teh bad stuff".

So far, without fail, this program crashes a good 75% of the time I use it. I've managed to single out, for the most part, what triggers the crashing, though I have not figured out why exactly it is doing so.

1. During playing, after changing the Decoder Priority, it crashes. But, seriously, duh. At the very least, I'd expect it to lag a bit, and it's not like I'll be doing this often.

2. After locking the phone and unlocking it, then returning to the program, it crashes the phone. Horrible bug, and it happens almost every time. I mostly keep the phone in my pocket while walking around, so I lock it to prevent any mishaps. I should add, the only way to "fix" this is to remove the battery and restart the phone. I can't prove it's the program's doing, but after removing the battery, a few pixels stay burned onto the screen. It goes away after turning it back on, though.

3. Though not a bug in any way, my phone gets toasty warm when playing for a while, say after 10 minutes. Not a "AAAAAH! HOT!" but a "Mmmmm, warm..."

4. Other times, it just crashes by itself, as it just did RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW. I didn't even have a song playing and it crashed the phone. Unforgivable. At other times, it crashes and gives an error screen, then returns to the Home Screen.

I won't list this next one as a bug, but a complaint. The on-screen playlist works fine except for one minor detail. When you hit Next, the bar doesn't move to the next song, it simply stays where you originally had it.

So let's say you're playing in Shuffle, as most of you probably do, and it switches to a song, but you really wanna hear the one right BEFORE that one. If you hit Up or Down (I have my Up and Down set to affect the Playlist, not the Volume) the bar will just move to the song next to the one it was previously at, NOT to song next to the the one currently playing. Annoying.

Should you want to hear the song BEFORE the one that was just switched to, you'd have to disable Shuffle/Repeat and hit Back or Next as necessary. This may not thwart the most of you, but it honestly kills it for me.

Guest Disco Stu

Although I have no idea what your first point is referring to, I have to say I've not encountered any of the problems you've had.

Then again I don't use shuffle either as I'm an old fuddy-duddy who believes in listening to whole albums in the order the artist intended or I make my own mix compilations.....drones on in this vein for several hours....

I've used the player both for short 10 minute bursts and for almost an hour at lunch without any crashes or heat rashes ! :)

Have you got both player and media on the storage card ? I just wonder if lack of memory is causing the lock-ups.

Guest robobeau

Decoder Priority is on the Advanced page in Options. :) Some other nice tweaks are there too.

The program AND all the music files are indeed on my 2GB miniSD. Over 1.7GB of music... I like the Shuffle feature. :D Hehehe.

You think performance might increase if I install it to the phone...? Hmmmm... I'm gonna give it a go, as soon as I get home from work.

Edited by robobeau

Guest Disco Stu
Decoder Priority is on the Advanced page in Options. :D Some other nice tweaks are there too.

The program AND all the music files are indeed on my 2GB miniSD. Over 1.7GB of music... I like the Shuffle feature. :D Hehehe.

You think performance might increase if I install it to the phone...? Hmmmm... I'm gonna give it a go, as soon as I get home from work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I know where 'Decoder Priority' is, but I haven't a clue what it means or whether I ought to change it from the default of 'Below Normal' :?: :)

On the same page, what does 'Enqueue when opening items' mean ?

'Input buffering' ?

'DSP' ?

'Recurse subfolders' ? (in Menu, Open)

It's a foreign language to me, mate ! :)

No, I presume performance would be better when software is installed on the storage card. I haven't seen the application's requirement for program memory on the phone but wonder if it might be critical in your case.

Hope you get it running correctly though. I notice on Pocket PC Thoughts forum that their support is good so you could try emailing them.

Guest Disco Stu
I tried Pocketmusic 2.0 2.2 2.3

each time i cant pass the license recording screen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean that you can't use the trial because it keeps asking you to enter the registration key ?

I haven't had this problem and bought a licence so long ago I can't even remember how the demo works. It's possible that if you tried an earlier version for the trial period then you can't get an extended trial period by installing the updates.

Their support is good though and there's a link on the product page on MoDaCo Fairdeal. I would try an email to them if you have a legitimate problem with the demos.

Guest robobeau

DSP = Digital Signal Processing. :) In this case it basically just means "Neat Effects for your Music". Hehehe.

Enqueue means it'll put the item on the playlist but not play it immediately. It just adds it to the playlist.

Input buffering... No idea. :shock:

Recurse subfolders means to check for items inside the folders inside of folders. Heh. So let's say you got

My Music

[

- Album 1

- Album 2

- Album 3

A lonely MP3

]

It loads up all the files inside all the folders, in the order they are read, plus the "A lonely MP3".

If "Recurse subfolders" is off, it will only load the "A lonely MP3" file, and not the files inside the other folders.

Oh, BTW. I installed Pocket Player on the phone, and it seems to be running well now. I imagine reading the program off the Storage Card would require a bit more processing power, but I can't prove it. I seems logical, though.

I'll keep posting if something comes up.

Do you mean that you can't use the trial because it keeps asking you to enter the registration key ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly.

No error message. No key pressing other than text entering. In fact, this s*** refuse to exit ! and keep coming back in front of screen until reboot ! or desinstal

However forget it, I installed Pocket Player, and it's a fuching amazing proggy !!!!!!!

Guest Disco Stu
So, does this pocketmusic finally work with WM5 phones like the i-mate SP5 yet or what?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Works on the C600 so I don't see why not. Give it a try :)

Guest Disco Stu
Exactly.

No error message. No key pressing other than text entering. In fact, this s*** refuse to exit ! and keep coming back in front of screen until reboot ! or desinstal

However forget it, I installed Pocket Player, and it's a fuching amazing proggy !!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to remain impartial of course but would have recommended you try Pocket Player instead ! :)

Guest Jason Patterson

Greetings,

Pocket Player 2.72 has been released, with all bug reports in 2.7 fixed, including some critical lock-up reports. Further improvements to visualization speed, album artwork, and tag browsing has been implemented. A new Play/Pause/Hold button has been added. Version 2.72 also fixes time-out problems on Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone.

It's available from the Pocket Player website. Thanks again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.