MDA hangs, needs daily re-boots, etc

Guest Michael3Jones

Guest Michael3Jones

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me.

I have the MDA Vario from T-Mobile on Web 'n' Walk 40mb (I am happy with the package T-Mobile packge and the 1/2 price line rental).

BUT my vario keeps hanging --- I usually have to re-set it once a day.

I am a light user --- Week days I usually turn it on at 5pm, make a call; Use MP3 player for 45minutes; Make another call at 7pm. I may sometimes make an extra call, or look up a contact, or take a photo. But regularly the MDA sticks when I turn it on or switch between apps, and I have to re-set it.

It sometimes takes ages to respond. I've learnt to wait about a minute after a cold start when entering my password and before entering the sim card/phone PIN --- if I try to do it too quickly, it hangs.

I tried to use the alarms, but sometimes they do not go off. I have alarms set for 5:00am and 5:20am --- on Monday they did not go off --- until I reset the unit later that day! Tuesday they did go off, but not today. I cannot trust it as an alarm clock.

I did test some calculators and password safes, but last weekend I did a clean re-set and re-installed only what I use (standard T-Mobile stuff and visKeeper (password safe) and Tube 2 (tube and London maps) and am still evaluating Math Tablet calculator)). The reinstall did not help.

The running joke at home is that I have to re-boot before I can make a call, or take a photo.

I have a 1Gb miniSD card with MP3s and maps.

Does anyone have similar problems? Any tips? Is it the unit I have?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

ROM Version: 1.3.2.2 ENU

Rom Date: 9/29/05

Radio version: 01.04.10

Protocol version: 4.0.13.17

ExtROM version: 1.3.2.102

Guest Alsicole

A couple of things to check. Have you made sure that the software you've installed is Windows Mobile 5.0 updated? Secondly if you're opening software and closing it with the X in the corner then it's minimising, not actually closing. If you run lots of different programs, eventually the device will slow down - like trying to run loads of different things on a Windows PC. To close them properly you have two options - go into Start, Settings, Memory, select the Running Programs tab and close all running applications. Alternatively you can use something like SPB Pocket PC which includes a utility to actually close the applications properly by using the X.

If you've covered both of these items and neither apply, then you may have a faulty unit.

Guest Michael3Jones

Thanks.

I have checked the running programs in the past --- today only contacts and activesync were running but unit was still slooooow. I stopped them --- is that right? Still sloooow. And usually after a reset whatever I was running has stopped anyway... so I do not think it is this.

Guess I should contact T-Mobile... :-(

Guest wseed

Reading your post I was wondering if I had written it and forgotten. I have the exact same problems that you write of. I've performed numerous hard resets tried with no apps installed and also tried SPB pocket+ to close apps properly. No joy I still find I can't make or receive calls at times without a reset. I also missed some early morning wake-ups as the alarm frequently doesn't go off.

I noticed yesterday the screen came on, thinking it was an incoming call I grabbed the Vario only to see the boot loader screen and the startup sequence. I tried to take it into the store I purchased from only to find it closed for a refurb :-(.

Guest adchaffey

Guys, there have been a few people in various threads complaining about very similar problems with the Vario. It seems there are a few faulty units out there, and in my humble opinion i think you both have one!

I have a Vario myself and it's an excellent device, doesn't have any of the problems you are mentioning. My advice is to do a hard reset and don't install any software for a little while. If you still have problems, contact T-Mobile and get a replacement. If the device seems fine after a hard reset, be very wary about what software you install!

Check out other threads on this forum for advice on hard resetting. Remember everything on the phone will be lost, so you may want to backup first.

Good luck!

Guest scopes64

I had similar problems with my first Vario, it to was ROM Version: 1.3.2.2 ENU, I had hangs, slow downs etc. So I took it back for an exchange. th e replacement device came with ROM Version: 1.6.2.4 WWE installed and I find the device a lot more stable .. and maybe a little quicker.

Edited by scopes64

Guest Michael3Jones

I contacted T-Mobile by e-mail and they said that the manufacturers would repair it within the first 12 months --- and I should contact the manufacturers (i.e. not T-Mobile)!

I am going to call T-Mobile, and will report back here.

Anyone else had a unit replaced? If so, how did you go about it?

Michael.

Guest wseed
I contacted T-Mobile by e-mail and they said that the manufacturers would repair it within the first 12 months --- and I should contact the manufacturers (i.e. not T-Mobile)!

I am going to call T-Mobile, and will report back here.

Anyone else had a unit replaced?  If so, how did you go about it?

Michael.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took mine into the T-Mobile store where the chap was very helpful (fellow Vario user) He completed the documentation and sent it in for repair. You should return your phone to wherever you bought it from that's who should be sorting out your problem. You have no contract with the manufacturer and it's not for you to deal with them.

Guest Michael3Jones

I e-mailed T-mobile, and suggested they replace the unit. They called me today (Saturday pm) and said that they would either send out packaging fro me to return the unit, or I could go to a local T-mobile centre and they would take the unit and maybe even supply a spare. Luckily I am going near the T-mobile shop, so they are sending my details to shop and on Wednesday I will go in.

Actually, the unit has been better recently. I was considering not sending it in --- then I set up the e-mail again (I lost setting after my previous hard reset) and now it is jsut as bad a before!

I just did a soft re-set and my start screen contain the date and about halfway down the screen I have the Device unlocked button --- nothing in between! Oh, now the Device unlock button has gone.

The device is now veeeerrry slow again. It was fine before I tried the e-mail.

Is it the E-mail app? :evil:

Has anyone noticed this?

I'll tell you how it goes on Wednesday when I take the unit in.

Mike.

Guest Michael3Jones

The frequent resets (I assume) clear running programs, so I do not think it is that.

It all got a lot worse when I set up the e-mail. Before that it was reasonable.

I will take it into T-Mobile Wednesday, and report on progress.

Thanks for all the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michael3Jones

Got the unit back today. Documentation does not say what they did.

ROM 1.3.2.2 ENU

9/29/05

radio 01.04.10

protocol version 4.0.13.17

ExtROM 1.3.2.102

Will try it and report back.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michael3Jones

The unit seems to hang less frequently --- certainly not daily. I did *not* re-install the extra T-mobile software (the stuff that monitors the web useage). I only re-installed my Tube maps and password safe.

I set up e-mail again (I can receive, but cannot send --- I think I have to check my account settings --- I don't think this is a t-mobile/vario issue)

But this morning my wake-up alarms did not go off. As expected, they went off when I did a reset just now.

So, in summary, better, but not wonderful. I will wait for thea new ROM, and install it myself.

Michael.

• 1 month later...
Guest Michael3Jones

Well, the unit has got worse. I usually have to reset it 1 or 2 times day, especially just as I bring it out of standby. It is really frustrating resetting the unit when I need to make a quick call. I have also seen my today main screen lose most of its icons, and sometimes my contacts missing (they often come back after the reset).

I have sent it back to the T-mobile shop for repair again.

I'll report back when I get it back.

Michael.

Guest Michael3Jones

I collected the unit today. The repair details say:

Unit Excehange

MAIN BOARD EXCHANGED

Software Upgrade, Live Call Passed, Quality Control Passed

It is indeed a different unit to the one I sent in

ROM version: 1.6.2.4WWE

Rom Date: 11/15/05

Radio Version: 01.12.10

Protocol version: 4.0.13.23

ExtROM version: 1.6.2.105

Hope it works better now.

Will post details later.

Guest Michael3Jones

The new replacement unit seems to be much better. I am still 'testing' it before I install my AtoZ maps and password safe, and configure it the way I want.... but so far I am happy. :-)

I do have a problem with setting up e-mail --- I can receive but not send. It used to work when I first set it, so I think it must be something I am doing wrong.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Good to see its been sorted :) I'd check your smtp settings are correct, you'll need to use the smtp address that T-Mobile provides (i've no idea what this is i'm afraid) in the account settings.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michael3Jones

I got the e-mail working again. I use oneandone.co.uk with my own domain name for e-mail, and I just hadn't set it up right on the MDA.

I use oneandone.co.uk for the pop and auth.smtp servers, and on page 4/4 of the e-mail set-up I had to go into Options and on page 2/3 of Options I needed to tick:

'Outgoing mail requires authentication' and also tick

'Use separate settings' (and NOT tick Require SSL connection)

then on Outgoing Settings I re-entered by oneandone mailbox username ane password again

Useful tip I got from somene here --- if you press/hold on the e-mail account name, a box comes up asking it you want to delete it (useful if you want to start a fresh account if you messed up a previous attempt at setting it up)

The new MDA rarely needs a reset! Happy! :)