Tornado PowerControl

Guest merwin

Guest merwin
I've placed a "PowerControl" shortcut in my startup folder containing the following command line for TornadoPowerControl 1.45:

60#"\Storage Card\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe" bright hide

Tornado Power Control DOES start, BUT it doesn't hide automaticly anymore. Anyone with a possible solution?

(...Version 1.3 runs fine :) )

Sorry about that... the upgrade to Compact Framework 2.0 did break a couple of features. Version 1.4 should work just fine. I've updated the file description to include a link to version 1.4

I'll be working on a complete rewrite of the software to properly support the features of CF2.0 instead of all of the hacks that were implemented to work around the limitations of CF1.0, which should come fairly soon since the program is not all that complex.

Guest merwin
Can you make an option for this program that reduce the light after an hour set by me (let's say 9 PM) and makes the light screen default after 7 AM ?

You could use a program such as XBar that has a scheduler built into it to launch the application with the 'dim' parameter and then with the 'bright' parameter to set it bright again. Currently, version 1.45 has issues with this part of it, so i've updated the file description to have a link to v1.4 which should work.

Guest merwin

Version 2.0 Beta 1 released...

This one is a milestone. There is now Automatic CPU Overclocking/Underclocking that will switch between 116MHz, 180MHz, and 228MHz based on CPU Load.

It's also Compact Framework 2.0, so you'll need that installed first (as is stated in the release notes)

Have fun!

Guest merwin
cool, but i would like to set my own mhz values. for example i would like to have 195, 220, 240 Mhz on my phone. :)

That is planned... There will be a power-saving, a balanced, and a high-speed setting. I'm not sure if I'll go above 228, as that is the highest that many of the older Tornado phones will go without locking up... but we'll cross that bridge when the feature is implemented.

Right now I'd like feedback on the speed of transition, etc.

Guest Corax
That is planned... There will be a power-saving, a balanced, and a high-speed setting. I'm not sure if I'll go above 228, as that is the highest that many of the older Tornado phones will go without locking up... but we'll cross that bridge when the feature is implemented.

Right now I'd like feedback on the speed of transition, etc.

Load balancing.... Interesting feature. :)

It think it is necessary (as already been mentioned) to make possible setting of user own under/overclocking limits. For example in registry values.

I am not sure that 116Mhz is stable freq (as lower bundary), and for skype I would prefer to use 240MHz (as upper boundary).

Second thing, that would be handy, is to add indication of current mode/frequency in top bar.

How else can I determine response of your app in different conditions?

Thanx.

Guest merwin
Load balancing.... Interesting feature. :)

It think it is necessary (as already been mentioned) to make possible setting of user own under/overclocking limits. For example in registry values.

I am not sure that 116Mhz is stable freq (as lower bundary), and for skype I would prefer to use 240MHz (as upper boundary).

Second thing, that would be handy, is to add indication of current mode/frequency in top bar.

How else can I determine response of your app in different conditions?

Thanx.

116MHz is a very stable frequency, as long as the response to step it up is quick enough. Before I implemented the CPU stepping, I had my phone at 116MHz 24 hours a day, to conserve battery. It works very well for things like playing solitaire :-)

I will look into adding the freq to the top bar, or at least some indicator of speed. I'm not sure how to do it at the moment, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Guest Sartre

I've run the new beta of Tornado PowerControl on my QTek 8310 and it seems to work great in "automatic mode". No problems at all, the only thing I'm wondering is if the constant polling of the load on the processor will eat more battery than needed, since I read it polls this about four times a second!?

Guest merwin
I've run the new beta of Tornado PowerControl on my QTek 8310 and it seems to work great in "automatic mode". No problems at all, the only thing I'm wondering is if the constant polling of the load on the processor will eat more battery than needed, since I read it polls this about four times a second!?

4 times a second is almost nothing... It also stops polling the battery when the LCD shuts off, so it's not consuming any power at that point.

I tried it at once a second, but you don't get enough readings to accurately determine when to "kick it up a notch" :-)

Guest Sartre
4 times a second is almost nothing... It also stops polling the battery when the LCD shuts off, so it's not consuming any power at that point.

I tried it at once a second, but you don't get enough readings to accurately determine when to "kick it up a notch" :-)

Thanks for the response, I just thought that four times a second sounded like alot but your probably right about it being almost nothing. If you create a way of showing how many mhz the phone is running at in the top bar, please make this optional as I've allready got enough icons there :-)

Guest merwin
Thanks for the response, I just thought that four times a second sounded like alot but your probably right about it being almost nothing. If you create a way of showing how many mhz the phone is running at in the top bar, please make this optional as I've allready got enough icons there :-)

LOL. I'll try to get that working so i can clutter your bar a little more

Guest jcostantino

I hate to put a dumb question here since I'm usually fairly good at figuring things out...

How do I edit the shortcut? If I use File Manager to create a shortcut in windows/startup it makes one but there is no way to edit the arguments to add the "hide" flag. I can view it in Iexplore but can't edit it. Do I need to use a text editor on the phone? Do you have a suggestion on which one to use? The only thing I have to create text on the phone is SmartPhone Notes and that won't do me any good.

BTW: Thanks a TON for this app! The only thing I could suggest would be to be able to chose a custom top speed. My phone is stable above 240 mhz and I may as well get as much juice out of it as possible. The speed-sensitive CPU adjustments are fantastic! It's great to be able to offset the battery cost of overclocking with the savings of underclocking. It's a shame this wasn't implemented from the start, at least now it feels like a whole new phone so it's sort of like an early Christmas!

Also, it would be great to be able to have a notification icon in the top bar to give speed feedback. Maybe something as simple as a dot that changed between shades of red, yellow, and green to signify the CPU speed?

Guest Bokkiej

Seems like a nice prog (especially the automatic under/overclocking), but the CF 2.0 in your link doesn't work on my SPV C550 and the one I've googled (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9655156b-356b-4a2c-857c-e62f50ae9a55&DisplayLang=en) also doesn't work on Windows Mobile 2003SE for smartphones. How do you think that I'd still be able to use your new version?

Guest merwin
Seems like a nice prog (especially the automatic under/overclocking), but the CF 2.0 in your link doesn't work on my SPV C550 and the one I've googled (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9655156b-356b-4a2c-857c-e62f50ae9a55&DisplayLang=en) also doesn't work on Windows Mobile 2003SE for smartphones. How do you think that I'd still be able to use your new version?

The main issue here is that this software isn't compatible with your phone. It says that it's only compatible with the TORNADO platform, which shipped with WM5. I'm not exactly sure what platform the C550 falls under, but it's not TORNADO :-)

Guest Bokkiej
The main issue here is that this software isn't compatible with your phone. It says that it's only compatible with the TORNADO platform, which shipped with WM5. I'm not exactly sure what platform the C550 falls under, but it's not TORNADO :-)

I know, but 1.4 does work with my phone and the features of 2.0 seem nice so it was worth a try :)

Guest merwin
I know, but 1.4 does work with my phone and the features of 2.0 seem nice so it was worth a try :)

sorry... I'm only continuing development in .net 2.0 as they are not really compatible with each other.

Guest Pa9an
Try the latest version (1.45). Some things have changed regarding the control of the display. Remember that this latest version requires Compact Framework 2.0 (read the release notes for a direct download to the 2mb file). CF2 can be installed directly to the storage card, so it won't take up space on your phone.

How did you folks manage to get CF2 installed to the storage card??

I've downloaded the SP1 from the link in the 1st post - altthough when I try to install it, it gives me the choice of Device vs Storage Card, but seems to install to the Device regardless...and fails as I don't have the 5.5mb space left there... ;)

Any idea? :)

Guest Sartre
How did you folks manage to get CF2 installed to the storage card??

I've downloaded the SP1 from the link in the 1st post - altthough when I try to install it, it gives me the choice of Device vs Storage Card, but seems to install to the Device regardless...and fails as I don't have the 5.5mb space left there... ;)

Any idea? :)

Try freeing up the needed space on your device, then when the install has finished and your device is reset you'll notice that most of CF2 actually is installed on your storage card, and most of the 5.5mb it uses under installation is available again for use in your device..

Guest Pa9an
Try freeing up the needed space on your device, then when the install has finished and your device is reset you'll notice that most of CF2 actually is installed on your storage card, and most of the 5.5mb it uses under installation is available again for use in your device..

That worked! Thanks a mill for the hint! :)

Guest merwin

Just a note on the status of the project...

In an internal development build, I have added a status bar icon as well as making the Slow/Normal/Fast of the automatic mode have configurable speeds.

What's next? The next thing on my plate is adding direct CPU changing, along the lines of OmapClock... this will allow the CPU to be changed without having to launch OMAPClock, allowing CPU changing without any lag.

Right now I'm in overseas in Asia, so the next version might be a couple of weeks away.

Guest Anton Oprya

I have some problems with TPC:

- on first launch with keys trim hide TPC works correctly, but next launch makes TPC not hide and display mode doesn’t change (dim/bright)

- on running TPC other programs minimize more quickly than specified in device settings

P.S. Enabled automatic mode

Guest merwin
I have some problems with TPC:

- on first launch with keys trim hide TPC works correctly, but next launch makes TPC not hide and display mode doesn

Guest Anton Oprya
If TPC is already running, it will not take any command line parameters such as hide and dim. That is only for the first run.

MMM..Before I used v1.3 and TPC hadn't this problem :)

I am aware of the minimize problem and am working on it. It does not happen every time, but it is very annoying :-) I think it is not a hard fix.

Thanks.

Guest merwin
MMM..Before I used v1.3 and TPC hadn't this problem :)

Thanks.

You are correct. v1.3 did not behave like that. The reason I chose to remove that behavior is because windows mobile is not designed to run multiple copies of the same application. I had implemented a hack to provide this. It actually takes more time to load the app than to just switch to the app and let you press the '1' key to toggle the brightness :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.