Activ Sync 4.1 big probs

Guest alex_sphone

Guest alex_sphone

Hi there, I just got my MDA pro and I loose my nerves over AS4.1.

Installed it to avoid conflicts with a corp firewall on the laptop. Never had probs with syncing my MPX200 and now...

The green arrows circle and circle and... nothing happens. It just goes on forever w/o any sign of initiating a sync.

I am really out of ideas. Can anybody help me on this?

Guest Pondrew

Sounds like a firewall may be preventing the Activesync establishing the connection with your MDA Pro. There are ways to resolve this but it depends on what firewall you're using and I'm pretty sure you'll need admin rights on the machine in order to resolve it...

Guest alex_sphone
Sounds like a firewall may be preventing the Activesync establishing the connection with your MDA Pro. There are ways to resolve this but it depends on what firewall you're using and I'm pretty sure you'll need admin rights on the machine in order to resolve it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I fear as well... ;) Are there really that many differences between 4.1 and the old 3.8..?

Guest xerxes
Apparently so. Certainly version 3.x didn't have anywhere near the problems with firewalls that version 4.x seems to...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Activesync 3.8 basically used a serial connection to speak to the pda/smartphone. Activesync 4.x uses a TCP/IP connection, presumably to make over the air syncing better.

Unfortunately just about every PC in the world now has to have a firewall and anti-virus software, and many also have VPN clients, all of which can impact how the PCs TCP/IP connection works and what it can talk to. Its really staggering how Microsoft can rearchitect a product so that it potentially clashes with just about any third party security product on the market.

Take heart though. when it does eventually work it will be nearly as fast and only a bit less reliable than the old version. ;)

Given that we are talking about Microsoft and that AS4 is really a brand new product we will probably have to wait for AS4.3 to get a reliable sync again.

All that said, the Universal is such an arse-kickingly wonderful machine that it kind of makes up for everything. Now if only there was some way to back it up...

Guest abhayseth
Hi there, I just got my MDA pro and I loose my nerves over AS4.1.

Installed it to avoid conflicts with a corp firewall on the laptop. Never had probs with syncing my MPX200 and now...

The green arrows circle and circle and... nothing happens. It just goes on forever w/o any sign of initiating a sync.

I am really out of ideas. Can anybody help me on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried disabling the windows firewall from the system menu - i had the same problem with 4.0 but after 4.1 the AS connects without any issues.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alex_sphone
Have you tried disabling the windows firewall from the system menu - i had the same problem with 4.0 but after 4.1 the AS connects without any issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, got it working but only by disabling the firewall... now syncing via IR :-( But at least it works!

• 2 weeks later...