TomTom 5 on SPV M5000 GPS problem

Guest ianfc

Guest ianfc

I have installed TomTom 5 Navigator on my SPV M5000 and have tried to connect to a non-TomTom GPS receiver without luck. I have seen some posts about a fix but you have to edit the registry and I don't know how to put a registry editor on to my phone. Is there an easier fix than this? Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it? Help would be much appreciated! :x

Guest Confucious

Easiest fix is to download the 5.2 update from TomTom which is designed to fix this exact problem!

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Confucious

Guest ianfc
Easiest fix is to download the 5.2 update from TomTom which is designed to fix this exact problem!

Welcome to the forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the quick reply but to get TT5 onto my M5000 I had to download the update. I have checked the version and I am running 5.210 (5430). On the M5000 I am running Mobile Version 5.0 OS 5.1.1700.

Where to now?

Thanks

Ian

Guest Confucious
Thanks for the quick reply but to get TT5 onto my M5000 I had to download the update.  I have checked the version and I am running 5.210 (5430).  On the M5000 I am running Mobile Version 5.0 OS 5.1.1700.

Where to now?

Thanks

Ian

I thought 5.2 fixed all the problems. Just checked on TomTom's website and the M5000 isn't listed as being supported. Have you tried asking Tom Tom?

What GPS receiver are you using?

Guest ianfc

I did ask TOmTOm and they say they don't support the M5000 -so not much help there. However, I do know that some people run it OK. The GPS receiver is a F-tech FGPXBT01. I am beginning to think the only way forward would be to buy a TT bluetooth GPS receiver!

Guest outrun
I did ask TOmTOm and they say they don't support the M5000 -so not much help there.  However, I do know that some people run it OK. The GPS receiver is a F-tech FGPXBT01.  I am beginning to think the only way forward would be to buy a TT bluetooth GPS receiver!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am using a non tomtom bluetooth receiver OK, Tomtom don't support the M5000 because the registration does not work, you cannot activate it (you are all using a legit copy ;) ). This seems to have been fix with the new AKU update from orange.

In Bluetooth make sure you have set a new Outgoing port to your receiver.(I use com0)

Tomtom should see this port the the GPS setup, If it does looks like your receiver is sending some non standard info

I am using a leadtek 9553 receiver (works perfectly locked in glove box with no external aerial)

Guest denishanna

hardware - SPV - M5000 + Polstar bluetooth PBT- 111 about £27 of ebay

Software - tomtom nav 5 witch was crap 5% coverage in N.Ireland so i swap to medion navigator 5 with 95% in N.Ireland

Anyway after not having any support from orange , tomtom or polstar...infact don’t even bother calling any of them they will just piss you of even more

So i was left searching the net for answers and what i did is this

First completely reset/reload by start/programs/accessories/clear storage but be sure to back up :oops:

went to orange website to download the st.patrics day m5000 update"not sure if this update made a difference but do it anyway" get it here

install your gps software

download and install to phone regedit.Mrln_ARM Get it here

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings

Delete the DWORD marked "hide"

Add a DWORD called "Group" and give it the value of "2" (dec)

The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings.

INSTALL Medion or TOMTOM5 witch is crap

1. Establish a bond with your GPS and select the checkbox for serial access.

2. In BT, select the OUTGOING port to 8.

3. In the GPS control panel, select the GPS program to 0 and make sure that the hardware one, is set to None.

4. Start TT5 and the GPS settings, select another bluetooth GPS, and you will see COM 0 free. Select COM 0 and close TT5.

5. At the GPS control panel again, now select COM 8 (before we set it up at 0).

6. At BT: select OUTGOING port to 0.

7. Back again to GPS control panel and select NONE.

8. Finally start TT5 and it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected

hope this helps :shock:

Guest Confucious

dennis, apart from your bias agaist TomTom wich in the rest of the UK is generally reckoned to be the best GPS s/ware, an excellent first post!

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully ypur post will help others and you will find as much on MoDaCo to help you as I have!

Guest denishanna

;) Maybe your right but reason i hate them is the fact they openly sell a product in an area that it doesn’t even work in.

And to make things worse they try to make a dick of you on the phone if you ring for help, and then just to kick you in the balls its a bloke called Jim on the other end of the phone LOL he's not even called Tom,

I think this Tom chap got lost that day wile driving to work using his "ConeCone" sat nav system.

Hopefully it took him up a long road that was only a short pier

25carsnk.jpg

What make you think im bias?

Guest Wizard

I have just experienced the joys of TomTom support. What a sorry state of affairs.

They are saying to me they don't support the M5000, despite supporting the JASJAR, Exec, etc. When I said I wasn't satisfied and I wanted to speak to a supervisor, she hung up. Now *that* is customer service!

The problem I have is that the phone takes AGES to pick up a position from my TomTom GPS Receiver (MkII). I'm told 40seconds is normal, but mine regularly takes anything up to FOUR MINUTES before the position is shown.

M5000 (updated ROM) /TTv5.2 / TomTom Bluetooth GPS

Is there anything I can do to have the two devices communicate properly?

Wizard

• 5 weeks later...
Guest iboco

Hi there,

I have a same pda phone but from t-mobile(wm5 and bt gps receiver).

I can not choose com-port 1,2,3,5,6,7,9,0 (only 4 and 8 pickable)

Please someone help me before I go crazy.

;)

Thanks

[email protected]

hardware - SPV - M5000 + Polstar bluetooth PBT- 111 about £27 of ebay

Software - tomtom nav 5 witch was crap 5% coverage in N.Ireland so i swap to medion navigator 5 with 95% in N.Ireland

Anyway after not having any support from orange , tomtom or polstar...infact don’t even bother calling any of them they will just piss you of even more

So i was left searching the net for answers and what i did is this

First completely reset/reload by start/programs/accessories/clear storage but be sure to back up :oops:

went to orange website to download the st.patrics day m5000 update"not sure if this update made a difference but do it anyway" get it here

install your gps software

download and install to phone regedit.Mrln_ARM Get it here

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings

Delete the DWORD marked "hide"

Add a DWORD called "Group" and give it the value of "2" (dec)

The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings.

INSTALL Medion or TOMTOM5 witch is crap

1. Establish a bond with your GPS and select the checkbox for serial access.

2. In BT, select the OUTGOING port to 8.

3. In the GPS control panel, select the GPS program to 0 and make sure that the hardware one, is set to None.

4. Start TT5 and the GPS settings, select another bluetooth GPS, and you will see COM 0 free. Select COM 0 and close TT5.

5. At the GPS control panel again, now select COM 8 (before we set it up at 0).

6. At BT: select OUTGOING port to 0.

7. Back again to GPS control panel and select NONE.

8. Finally start TT5 and it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected

hope this helps :shock:

Guest jutley

make sure the name of your gps reciver has GPS at the end this is very important or tomtom wont communicate with it you can rename the reciever in the settings when setting up a connection try that

• 1 month later...
Guest RedJohn

denishanna

You Are the man! I've been clicking and hacking and screaming away at this for nearly a week and your reg hack/ com on com off solution worked great!

three cheers for denis, another modaco hero.

(I've lurked on here for years but your solution moved me soo much I registered just to say thanks)

RedJohn

Guest sparkesy

I've sinched it :)

I've been having problems upon problems with getting my M5000 to work with tomtom but have now sorted it.

I based my attemptes upon the instructions I found in one of the other threads on this forum relating to TT5 on the K-Jam.

The same instructions can be found here http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...806#post6166806

Following these instructions I couldn't achieve a connection until I turned Radio on!!!! So basically the above instructions will ONLY work on a M5000 when you have the phone accepting calls, or in my case phone on for emerency calls only with no sim.

Guest sparkesy
BT is radio - turn radio off and you turn BT off so it's unlikely to work :)

well wireless then whatever the phone function is actually called it seems every phone forum I go onto everyone seems to call it a different thing :)