Home screen apps

Guest Webreaper

Guest Webreaper

Looking for some suggestions for useful stuff to customise the homescreen. Weather forecasts, etc. Caveat is they must be freeware.

Any suggestions of useful stuff that people use?

Guest Phil Lee

I don't think there's much in the way of freeware. Personally I'm more than happt with the SBSH offerings for my homescreen, PocketBreeze, ContactBreeze, PocketWeather and iLauncher. They were definitely worth the money I paid for them.

Guest Webreaper

Fair enough. I thought there'd be a bit more freeware stuff out there (e.g., I run forecastfox on my browser, which is totally free).

I mean, I like the idea of getting a weather forecast on my device, but not enough to pay for it. If I'm that bothered about getting the weather and can't have it on my home page I'll just navigate to www.bbc.co.uk/weather. 8)

Anything else that's worth having?

Guest uwaku
Fair enough. I thought there'd be a bit more freeware stuff out there (e.g., I run forecastfox on my browser, which is totally free).

I mean, I like the idea of getting a weather forecast on my device, but not enough to pay for it. If I'm that bothered about getting the weather and can't have it on my home page I'll just navigate to www.bbc.co.uk/weather.  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure. You can use Weather To Go from tonaya.com. It doesn't update automatically (you have to click the update button), but you can specify two locations (by ZIP code) and show up to a five-day forecast. Click on the day's display & get more detail. It's free.

What else are you looking for? I pretty much won't buy anything for my MDA because next time I upgrade, I tend to lose it. I had a nice freeware program called WorldToday that gave me local time in from 2 to 6 cities, but it doesn't like WM5, so I lost that...

There's also a googlesearch today app that searches directly from your today screen; kinda nice. The only other apps I generally use are cLaunch and PPC Profiles. Both are free. If you REALLY want to scare people with your screen, try eXPerience, the XP shell for your PPC. It's free because they went out of business, but it works nicely on WM5 (http://www.digitalexpedition.com/main/index.htm).

When in doubt, hit freewareppc.com and look around.

Guest Webreaper

Cool, thanks. Saw that eXPerience thing, but although it's now a free download, they say WM5 isn't supported.

I'll have a look at the google thing - that sounds cool, and the weather-to-go.

Of course I could download cracked versions of the apps like spb etc., but being a software developer that kindof goes against the grain, so if I'm going to download anything I'd at least prefer the author was giving it away free (like my own app, Webreaper). 8)

Edited by Webreaper

Guest marcwic

I mean, I like the idea of getting a weather forecast on my device, but not enough to pay for it. If I'm that bothered about getting the weather and can't have it on my home page I'll just navigate to www.bbc.co.uk/weather.  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

c-launcher is good, lets you have destop icons.

Pocket Weather also quite good and free. dktoday is excellent and shows cell/mobile operator and total mins of calls made and bluetooth control. there is a free version of pocketzenphone too for profiles. all work on wm5 - and all found at www.pocketpcfreewares.com

enjoy :)

Cool, thanks. Saw that eXPerience thing, but although it's now a free download, they say WM5 isn't supported.

Of course I could download cracked versions of the apps like spb etc., but being a software developer that kindof goes against the grain, so if I'm going to download anything I'd at least prefer the author was giving it away free (like my own app, Webreaper).  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... WM5 first installs the app ok, then gives 3 icons on the standard today screen. Clicking on any of them bring up a fullscreen error that tells you to press quit.

Shame..

All ide ever want out of a home screen is an XP look and feel.

Shame no one has pulled their finger out yet and cashed in on this mass market!

Of course I could download cracked versions of the apps like spb etc., but being a software developer that kindof goes against the grain, so if I'm going to download anything I'd at least prefer the author was giving it away free (like my own app, Webreaper).  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... WM5 first installs the app ok, then gives 3 icons on the standard today screen. Clicking on any of them bring up a fullscreen error that tells you to press quit.

Shame..

All ide ever want out of a home screen is an XP look and feel.

Shame no one has pulled their finger out yet and cashed in on this mass market!