Vario 2

Guest rizzles

Guest Pondrew

The HTC Hermes. It's a new improved Pocket PC Phone model similar to the HTC Wizard but with 3G (including video calling).

No idea when it's due out in the UK but I too heard it was going to be the MDA Vario II.

Just googled it.... it rocks. faster precessor 3G and video calling. sounds great.

but first of all... the dutch T-mobile don't have 3G yet (i think) so I don't know about the usability of it.

but I'd like to see it next to a wizard (vario) because it kinda looks chunkier than it's predecessor.

Looks good.

Pigo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FragMeister
Vario next to Vario 2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking at the phoes, it seems to contradict the specifications.

The SD slot looks too small to be a mini-SD (and may well be a micro-SD [transflash??])

the USB connector in the pictures seems to be different to that on the Compact

Guest rockykabir
The SD slot looks too small to be a mini-SD (and may well be a micro-SD [transflash??])

the USB connector in the pictures seems to be different to that on the Compact

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep...both correct observations.

The Hermes will use micro-SD :evil: and will have a non-standard connection :evil: :evil:

Why can't these phone companies make the perfect phone?! There always seem to be a disadvantage ;)

Guest Swampie
Yep...both correct observations.

The Hermes will use micro-SD  :evil: and will have a non-standard connection  :evil:  :evil:

Why can't these phone companies make the perfect phone?! There always seem to be a disadvantage ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like you're right about the non-standard connection. If you look at this image (enlarged if you need to), you'll see the normal mini-USB connector is replaced by one with 1 square corner, and 1 chamfered one. :( Still shows the USB logo though.

Hermes_3.jpg

Maybe it'll change before mass production? We can hope. ;)

Found another image showing a comparison between an Atom and the Hermes, but showing the difference between the two USB connectors (Atom being standard miniUSB)

PICT4049.sized.jpg

Edited by Swampie

Guest daftveggie

It's very odd isn't it.

That is one of my favourate things about the wizard and almost all windows mobile phones that they have the mini-usb connector.

Makes it really easy to charge if you forget your connector, most people have one usb lead in the house.

also, when you've invested in 3 or 4 mini-sd cards why the hell should we have to go out and buy more damn memory cards becuase they're a little bit smaller!!!!!

Whats wrong with full sized SD anyway, not like the phone is aiming to be super small and thin ;)

Guest Swampie
Whats wrong with full sized SD anyway, not like the phone is aiming to be super small and thin ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can imagine the ad now:

"HTC Hermes, sponsored by SanDisk".

As SanDisk own the trademark for MiniSD, I wonder whether they hold the trademark for MicroSD as well. I also wonder whether they get a license fee for each SD/miniSD/microSD card manufactured. If they can increase the churn rate of cards (ie. people get new device, and therefore buy a new card to go in it), then they can keep their profits up. Wonder whether HTC get any money from SanDisk etc to use their latest and greatest card slot type?

Suspicious? Me? ;)

Guest daftveggie

Certainly a thought

I think the argument that I so hotly skipped over before is the power saving abilities of the newer and smaller techology.

That is an assumption by the way, I don't actually know if the new cards consume any less power, though you would wonder wants the point in them is they don't.

Mini-sd is small enough, easily looseable size, micro sd even smaller is a tad silly. Hardly usable with big stubby fingers!!.

It also reduced the ability of companies to develop add in cards like the SD wifi card if the micro is so small you can't do anything with.

Guest FragMeister
It also reduced the ability of companies to develop add in cards like the SD wifi card if the micro is so small you can't do anything with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the Hermes/Vario II has built in wifi (b and g) so this wouldnt be a problem, but i do see your point.

Still cant wait to get one though!!

PS: anyone want to buy a 1gb SD off me in June??

Guest Swampie

For work, we've just ordered some SDIO based smartcard readers. Unfortunately, this means I can't use my Vario for the development. ;)

We've also seen some SDIO based contactless smartcard readers, again, can't use my Vario for that. All our iPAQs with SDIO are WM2003 and below. I'd hoped my Vario could be useful at work for WM5 development... guess I'm stuck with VS.Net 2003 + .NetCF1.1

I can't see the need for anything smaller than miniSD. I just wish someone would come out with an SD to miniSD adaptor - yes, it'll be bulky, yes it could get damaged - but I want to use an SD card in my Vario!!!

Edited by Swampie

Guest Laser_iCE

Hey there Swampie, normally when you buy a MiniSD card, it comes with a little thing that you slot your MiniSD card into, which is the same size as a normal SD card. I use it for my card reader all the time ;)

Guest Swampie
Hey there Swampie, normally when you buy a MiniSD card, it comes with a little thing that you slot your MiniSD card into, which is the same size as a normal SD card. I use it for my card reader all the time ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a mini-SD to SD adaptor which came with my miniSD card. However, I'm after the opposite - a SD to miniSD adaptor - to allow SD cards (and devices) to fit into a miniSD slot. Obviously this won't fit inside the miniSD slot, so it'll have to stick outside, which means it can get damaged - hence why I think no-one's come up with them - but it would be great to find someone who has!

Guest ultimate_fish

I think he was talking about something that works the other way round, allowing one to connect a full size SD card to a miniSD slot.

Guest Perfectionist

Micro SD is deffo a pain but I wouldn't mind so much if they kept the card capacities the same (is that possible though!)

I've now gotten used to my 4 Gb SD card and can't fathom using a puny 1 Gb Micro !!

Hopefully next year when the 8/16/32 Gb full size SD cards arrive ..... HTC will realise the error of their ways ...... ??

Guest nevawlkalone

So have T-mobile confrmed a UK release for this 'coz the last *iheard~* it was only O2 germany that was due a release! It ould just me being dumb n not noticing soemthing... ;)

Guest Laser_iCE
I have a mini-SD to SD adaptor which came with my miniSD card.  However, I'm after the opposite - a SD to miniSD adaptor - to allow SD cards (and devices) to fit into a miniSD slot.  Obviously this won't fit inside the miniSD slot, so it'll have to stick outside, which means it can get damaged - hence why I think no-one's come up with them - but it would be great to find someone who has!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mate -- my bad!

of course ;) Although it doesn't seem a good idea, the ability to have the extra storage would be great...

I'm thinking though, would it be possible to crack open a mini SD card and then just wire it to a normal sized SD card ... personally, I think not -- but if anyway wants to crack open a mini SD card, go for it ;)

Guest nevawlkalone
but if anyway wants to crack open a mini SD card, go for it ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

should be a laugh....however all the gold pins and stuff wont be the correct sizes to fit if you catch my drifty?

Guest Swampie
Hey mate -- my bad!

of course ;) Although it doesn't seem a good idea, the ability to have the extra storage would be great...

I'm thinking though, would it be possible to crack open a mini SD card and then just wire it to a normal sized SD card ... personally, I think not -- but if anyway wants to crack open a mini SD card, go for it ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'd thought about that - I need to look online to see if I can find miniSD connectors with cables. Then look for SD card slots and see if I can wire the two up!

I suspect though that it won't help me, as it now seems the device I need to use requires some software called SDIO Now!, which is put on by the OEM. I doubt it has this, so even getting it to physically fit isn't going to solve all the problems.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Perfectionist

Vario 2 coming to the UK in May !!! SWEEEEET !!

http://www.htcphones.info/ctf.asp?url=http...//news2343.html

I only hope T-mobile extend their 25% dicount offer !!! ;)

Found some cool pics too ;)

http://www.infosyncworld.com/eu/mobility/c...a_vario_ii.html

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/hands-o...e-mda-vario-ii/

http://www.newmobile.nl/eur/en/photos.php?phone_id=18fc907

http://www.stuffmagazine.co.uk/hotstuffart....asp?de_id=1482

Did I mention, this phone is gonna be soooo sweeeeet !! :P

Guess it's time to get me a 1Gb Micro SD ....... ;)

Edited by Perfectionist

Guest duuncan
Looks like you're right about the non-standard connection. If you look at this image (enlarged if you need to), you'll see the normal mini-USB connector is replaced by one with 1 square corner, and 1 chamfered one. ;) Still shows the USB logo though.

Hermes_3.jpg

Maybe it'll change before mass production? We can hope. ;)

Notice the port is the same apart from that corner...Mini USB will still plug into that :P