Disable on screen keyboard

Guest thomasr83

Guest thomasr83

Sometimes the on screen keyboard popups by itself when something can be typed, and since I have a real QWERTY keyboard on my phone I never use the on screen keyboard.

Is it possible to completly disable/remove the on screen keyboard?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IgwanaRob

Yeah, I'd like to be able to stop this as well - it gets real annoying when IE opens up and this virtual keyboard takes up half the screen and I have to go and close it manually (it opens with nearly everything and is driving me nuts)

Guest thomasr83
Yeah, I'd like to be able to stop this as well - it gets real annoying when IE opens up and this virtual keyboard takes up half the screen and I have to go and close it manually (it opens with nearly everything and is driving me nuts)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You dont really need to close it manually though. It disappears when you start typing on your real keyboard.

But it's still very annoying.

Guest IgwanaRob
You dont really need to close it manually though. It disappears when you start typing on your real keyboard.

But it's still very annoying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which means opening the keyboard and then typing something - cumbersome if all I'm trying to do is get to the favorites list, etc. I know you can permanently disable it all together, but I'd rather just stop it from automatically opening all the time.

Guest thomasr83
Which means opening the keyboard and then typing something - cumbersome if all I'm trying to do is get to the favorites list, etc. I know you can permanently disable it all together, but I'd rather just stop it from automatically opening all the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you disable it?

Guest thomasr83
must be a way... anoy's the F*** out of me when browsing or using an instant messenger or whatever!!!

Pigo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you read the discussion that IgwanaRob's talking about, it is actually just to start typing with your hardware keyboard, not closing the software keyboard yourself. Once you do that the software keyboard wont popup until you click on it.

It seems to work pretty good.

.... untill you get another website with a blank space for typing.. then it pops up again... when you switch from a website to your messenger... it pops up again... YOU NAME IT!!!! I switch applications alot... so it's a big stress point for me.

Pigo

Edited by Pigo

• 1 year later...
Guest billyb

There is a function in SKTools which allows you to disable any "input method" including the virtual keyboard.

Pretty cool.

• 1 month later...
Guest azimuth21

Once a blank text area is selected, the software keyboard will pop up. Slide out the hard keyboard and type something/anything. The software keyboard will go away by itself. You can then slide the hard keyboard back in, and from then on, the software keyboard won't pop up automatically whenever a blank text area is selected (unless you open up the soft keyboard again)

Edited by azimuth21