WM5torage

Guest Ingvarr

This application looks very promising, looks you're a brave man. Unfortunately, I am not able to make it work on my Fujitsu-Siemens LOOX n520 (WM 5.0) :rolleyes: - installation was OK, activation was fine, Windows (I tried XP, XP SP2, Vista RC1) found a new hardware - but it told me, that the device is not working properly. I tried restart windows, restart PocketPC but nothing happened, the device was not mount. The newest CardExport is working fine on my device. Can I debug it (is there some log option?) or retrieve more information about what is happening while connecting of the device? Maybe this should help a little... Thanks in advance, I still think this program is very usable for a lot of people, even if not works for me (yet).

Guest Ingvarr

As I wrote dozen times in this thread already, WM5torage is small and free, because it tries to use driver for USB hardware that built in in each WM5-based device.

Unfortunately, in lot of devices USB drivers are poorly written, so they work with ActiveSync protocol /Windows OS only, and will not allow WM5torage to use them for USB mass storage protocol.

Softick is paying their CardExport programmers to write whole USB driver for each device/chipset it supports, thats why its working on some devices where WM5torage does not, and also on WM2003-based. On the other hand, CardExport doesnt support some devices, but WM5torage does (when built-in USB drivers is properly made).

The only way to "fix" devices when WM5torage does not work is to somehow obtain the propely working driver for the USB hardware - mostly its USBFN.dll, like it was done with ETEN.

And let "appearing drive" does not full you - its the usual thing, most buggy USB drivers just let it to signal that drive is here, but they will not allow WM5torage to correctly transmit any data (or it will be just transmitted sometimes and unreliably). But this is still bugs in device firmware/usb drivers, not in WM5torage, so its not quite under my control to fix.

Edited by Ingvarr

The only way to "fix" devices when WM5torage does not work is to somehow obtain the propely working driver for the USB hardware - mostly its USBFN.dll, like it was done with ETEN.

Thanks for your comprehensive information, Ingvarr. In the previous post you have said, that the driver in loox (USBFN) is buggy. Is there any chance, or better said - could you point me to information, what this driver should do and how to discover, what it is really doing? Maybe I could try to write some patch for it - I am not going to give up after this first problem :rolleyes:

Guest Ingvarr

This is the driver for actual USB Controller that specific device have inside. Its so called "usb function controller driver".

I doubt you will be able to write "a patch" for it.

First, you need to know what USB Controller your device have.

Second, you need to know how to program it.

Third, you need to get a Windows CE Platform Builder and write a driver, properly following the Microsoft specifications for such (USB function) drivers.

This is a lot of work.

Of course it would be a lot easier for device manufacturer to just correct the one they have (given that they already made it and they have all source & tools), but of course manufacturers wont' bother about it. The ones who do, write good drivers from the start.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest talpino

Hi, I've got an Italian Qtek 8500. i found that I cannot add a new DWORD with my regedit, it gives me back the error "Unable to perform this operation", neither if I try to change an existing value. Maybe my device is "too" locked? Did you meet any incompatibilities with my same device? Thank you very much

Edited by talpino

Guest Twilight.Cruiser
Hi, I've got an Italian Qtek 8500. i found that I cannot add a new DWORD with my regedit, it gives me back the error "Unable to perform this operation", neither if I try to change an existing value. Maybe my device is "too" locked? Did you meet any incompatibilities with my same device? Thank you very much
For sure, you're useing the 'wrong' Registry Editor; you need Regedit STG, as far as I remember. Search this forum and you'll probably find some comments to that problem as well as a link to Regedit STG.

just to say THANK YOU for this program..

this should be a default option in WM5!

love it!

(use it on a qtek S200, hope it works on my xbox 360 as well)

Edited by YLA G

Guest koolrain

It worked like a charm on my phone, after performing the regedit. i'm using a cingular 3125. Now I can finally sync my phone with iTunes using "itunes agent" software. because of usb 1, the transfer was slow... it took over 10 min to transfer a playlist with 30 songs in it. but i'm stoked that i dont have to use windows media player to sync anymore. :rolleyes:

Thank You!!!

oh, on another note, when my computer asked for a cd during install, after i activated the wmstorgae, i simply put in the cingular cd the phone came with, and it grabbed the driver off of it.

Edited by koolrain

well, I'm using the app quite a while, now I just wanted to drop a line to inform you that it works also on MacOSX and Debain-Kernel Linux. also, The XBox 360 recognizes the Storage. I'm shure it works on all other OSes, but I don't have the possiblity to test them ;-)

well, I'm using the app quite a while, now I just wanted to drop a line to inform you that it works also on MacOSX and Debain-Kernel Linux. also, The XBox 360 recognizes the Storage. I'm shure it works on all other OSes, but I don't have the possiblity to test them ;-)

i have an 8125 and the latest version of WM5 dosn't seem to work quite right. It just refuses to transfer. I am connecting it a linux box and it seems to work fine until it just ends up never completeing the transfer it hangs forever.

Same problem.

The command:

sudo dmesg -c

will tell you what's going on, and where the failure is.

Sam

Thank you!

Put up a PayPal donate link and I'll happily send you some cash. GPL it and I'll send even more :rolleyes:

It doesn't work on my M3100 but I'll pay 10 UKP if you GPL it.

I've done some good smartphone projects during my time at Orange which are wasting because I can't get a decision on GPLing it.

I am pro-GPL hence my offer.

Sam

Problem is Iam not sure its doable with Hermes.

I cant accept such expensive gift and later being unable to fullfill my part of deal :rolleyes:

It's not such a strict deal, it should be "without obligation" for your enjoyment and in the knowledge that you would share anything good from it as you have already been so generous - it's the gift economy.

Sam

Guest Ingvarr

Unfortunately, it can not be GPLed at this time for various reasons, personal and also legal.

I said dozen times that I never intended it to work on every WM5 device and on every OS (to be more strict, its not in my capability). Sorry if I gave you that impression somehow...

WM5torage only partly a proper application. Half of it is not-so-pretty hacks, so no wonder its so quirky :rolleyes:

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest anagram

How in h*ll do you install this thing? i downloaded it and got a bunch of .cab files nothing else no installer or even manual.Sounds great but unusefull if it cant be installed

Guest Confucious
How in h*ll do you install this thing? i downloaded it and got a bunch of .cab files nothing else no installer or even manual.Sounds great but unusefull if it cant be installed

A bunch of cab files? You should have just 1 which you install like any other cab.

Guest mikeeey

there should be only 1 cab file with files inside that .cab

dont extract the .cab on ur computer,

drag it over to ur phone and run it, which installs it. theres programs for doig it off the computer too but this way is probably easiest for you

Guest silviucristea

there is a problem with "LEDs/Vibrators"

when you set this "HKLM > Drivers > BuiltIn > usbfndrv > EnableUsbCharging = 0" LEDs don't work properly

thanks for this software

Edited by silviucristea

Works great with a quick test on Cingular 2125 (HTC Faraday).

Excellent program! Activesync was driving me up the freaking wall. Since I don't sync to Outlook, etc. with this device, this is just perfect. Thank you very, very much for your efforts.

I'll report back if I manage to find any bugs.

Great Work!!

Guest caforres

:) I guess I'm really new at this, but I can't figure out how to install. When I click on the cab file, I can see the contents, but when I click on _setup.xml, it displays as source code in an i.e. window. I can't get it to run. What do I need to do?

Guest Twilight.Cruiser
:) I guess I'm really new at this, but I can't figure out how to install. When I click on the cab file, I can see the contents, but when I click on _setup.xml, it displays as source code in an i.e. window. I can't get it to run. What do I need to do?
Just google around or search this forum for infos, tricks & tips for newbies.

It's not a problem with WM5torage you're heaving, but a general gap in your knowledge.

Although CAB files are a special kind of ZIP compressed files, they are install files for windows mobile devices.

Just copy the CAB file to your smartphone and run it there, using the smartphones file explorer. Then the isnstallation will start and you'll be asked where to install (phone internal memory or SD Card - you should absolute select internal memory for WM5torage, otherwise you'll presumably have some problems!).

But before you'll be able to install WM5torage, you have to application unlock you're smartphone. Just search an read this thread carefully for learning how to do this, you'll find several information about that.

Good luck & enjoy WM5storage! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.