WM5torage

Guest Ingvarr

Guest Robb Bates

Not working here.

Running Win2k and a PPC6700. My PC detects a USB device but won't go any further. It doesn't see a mass storage device nor does it give me a drive letter.

During installation, it said:

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

Any ideas?

Robb

Guest Ingvarr
During installation, it said:

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Host PC said so?

Guest Robb Bates

Yes, it found hardware and did tried to install drivers, but I guess it couldn't find them. Should I send you anything like a log file?

Robb

Guest Ingvarr

Umm, this sounds like host PC-side problem.

Try it with different PC perhaps?

Have you connected other USB hard disks or sticks to this PC before?

Guest Robb Bates

Well, I tried it on another PC. Both have Win2k. Yes, I have used USB flash drives on both.

Is there something special you have to do on the PPC side? I just copied the cab to my PPC and ran it. I tried installing it both on the card and on the device. Same thing both ways.

Robb

Guest Ingvarr

You dont have to do anything "special" on PPC side... It either works or not ;)

Can you try it with Windows XP host? That way I will at least know is the culpit the host OS or HTC Apache mobile platform.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Robb Bates

OK. I just got it to work.

I am pretty sure it is the PocketDOS DOS file system driver that was the culprit. I uninstalled it and it worked. I reinstalled it and it didn't work.

I guess I'll remove it since I really don't need it.

Maybe you could include this incompatibility in your documentation.

Robb

Guest ninjaw
You dont have to do anything "special" on PPC side... It either works or not ;)

Can you try it with Windows XP host? That way I will at least know is the culpit the host OS or HTC Apache mobile platform.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What if YOU could finally find why it is not working as a usual usb drive (aka. make it work on MacOS9 and MacOSX please)

Guest Ingvarr

It does not work as usual USB drive, because USB hardware driver that HTC (or OMAP?) made does not work as usual USB protocol ;)

And I dont have access to Mac :P

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Crispy
It does not work as usual USB drive, because USB hardware driver that HTC (or OMAP?) made does not work as usual USB protocol ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A USB driver that doesn't follow the USB protocol? ... oh my, now that's interesting... why would anyone do that? Limited mobile version?

Guest Ingvarr
A USB driver that doesn't follow the USB protocol? ... oh my, now that's interesting... why would anyone do that? Limited mobile version?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose they just didnt test it with Mass Storage protocol, because they didnt include it... It perfectly works with ActiveSync/modem protocols (that were included by default), but Mass Storage is kinda different... and with Mass Storage the built-in USB harware driver (on HTC Tornado that I've tested) just doesnt work as MS specifications indicate it must. So I had to do ugly hacks in protocol just to bypass these anomalies in USB driver without actually altering it, potentially reducing compatibility.

I had to choose partial compatibility. And I wanted it primarly to work with HTC Tornado devices & Windows/Linux, so thats why its as it is ;)

I cant write totally "correct" USB hardware driver for every chipset around, as Softick does. I simply have no resources to do so, as I doing that in my (limited) spare time :P

So I just put in the Mass Storage protocol, and tried to use USB hardware driver that device already has. And on some devices it wouldnt work because device maker (maybe unintentially) didnt intend/test device to serve as Mass Storage, and left USB hardware driver incomplete/partially buggy just in areas that Mass Storage need to use. I've bypassed such quirks for HTC Tornado platform - but possible support for other devices is just a collateral ;)

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest ninjaw

Thx for this infos, will you publish your program sources ? there's a lot of work to do with ... i'm thinking about my dream Ipod or usb drive direct connect

Guest roma0803

Thanks Ingvarr for this perfect little tool. Works great after adding the regvalue to get rid of the error 57 thing. Pitty the Tornado only has USB1.1 but putting files on my card works just easier then through AS this way. Thanks again.

Guest Ingvarr
i'm thinking about my dream Ipod or usb drive direct connect

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats entirely different functionality, even while it can look similar.

To do that, PDA/smatphone must have USB Host capability - on hardware and software(driver) level.

Only dozen devices in the past supported USB Host - Toshiba e800 being notable example.

Even if PDA/smartphone hardware potentially can be USB Host, often developers dont include proper drivers. Notable example is HTC devices based on OMAP850 (Wizard, Tornado) - OMAP 850 has USB-on-the-Go support (thats superset of USB 2.0 with USB Host ability). But HTC made only USB Function (client) driver, with only USB 1 support. So if you'll want to utilize all hardware capabilities, you will need to write complete USB Host device driver for particular hardware you wish to support (ie OMAP 850). And that would be hard since, for instance TI (makers of OMAP) is very secretive about hardware specs - you wont find them anywhere (at least, anywhere I know hehe ;) )

On the other hand, Intel Bulverde/PXA, Samsung chipsets programming specs is available, even with driver sources - but as I know, they have no USB Host support on hardware level.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest chedabob

i installed it on my c500, and it installed fine. first time it recognised it as windows mobile device and usb mass storage. it didnt let me access the drive. the icon appeared, but when i clicked on it, i got "please insert a disk into drive g:". so i unplugged it and replugged and it installed different drivers. something to do with "remember to change vendorid". still nothing. any ideas?

Edited by chedabob

Guest Ingvarr
Hmmm... phone freezes when exiting the app. Seems I can't get in to the start menu anymore and phone freezes up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you have installed some background utilities/today plugins to the storage card? When Mass Storage is activated and card is dismounted, some such utils can cease to work properly.

Guest j8888h

What a great free tool! The Card Export II never make my T-mobile MDA connect to any PC by USB massive storage, but WM5torage does! A Simplified Chinese version was released on the Hi-PDA forms (http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=303492&extra=page%3D3). It has more detail explaination for 1f error than your original version. It says when meet 1f error, you may need to close mailing system, or to stop the processes tmail.exe or sddaemon.exe. Is it possible to let WM5torage close such processes automatically? The card Export II can add an icon to the desktop. I have to use TrayLnch to make WM5torage to show an icon on the desktop.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.