CF2.0 on M5000 AKU2

Guest clarkezone

Guest clarkezone

AKU2 Broke my ability to develop on the Orange M5000 with the Compact Framework 2.0. In short, I received a vanilla M5000 from Orange, flashed it with AKU2 and at that point VS2005 would refuse to deploy to the device. On closer inspection, the CF 2.0 was failing to install. I've tried a fair few things to no avail. Is anyone else having this trouble?

cheers

James

Guest M@rkC
AKU2 Broke my ability to develop on the Orange M5000 with the Compact Framework  2.0.  In short, I received a vanilla M5000 from Orange, flashed it with AKU2 and at that point VS2005 would refuse to deploy to the device.  On closer inspection, the CF 2.0 was failing to install.  I've tried a fair few things to no avail.  Is anyone else having this trouble?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup! Since installing the AKU2 update, I've been unable to re-install the .NET CF 2.0 runtime (which is needed by WiFiFoFum). In my email this morning I got a "Windows Mobile News" message from Microsoft that had the following in.....

Have you experienced a problem installing .NET Compact Framework 2.0 onto a device? If so, you may be encountering a bug in Windows Mobile 5.0 CAB installer. In this blog entry, Mark Prentice describes the cause of the problem and provides a work around that enables .NET Compact Framework 2.0 to install successfully. The displayed title of the blog is ".NET Compact Framework v2 SP1 (Setup and Headless)" but the blog entry focus is on the setup issue.

READ HERE: http://blogs.msdn.com/markprenticems/archi.../17/534274.aspx

I've not had a chance to investigate yet, but it looks like I'm on the right track - will post back when I've had a chance to try out the suggestions....

HTH, Mark.

Guest clarkezone
Yup!  Since installing the AKU2 update, I've been unable to re-install the .NET CF 2.0 runtime (which is needed by WiFiFoFum).  In my email this morning I got a "Windows Mobile News" message from Microsoft that had the following in.....

I've not had a chance to investigate yet, but it looks like I'm on the right track - will post back when I've had a chance to try out the suggestions....

HTH,  Mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least I'm not going mad. Mark Prentice's suggestion seems to be to close all running applications. I've done this and it still doesn't install. So it looks like we'll have to wait for SP1 of CF2.0

Guest M@rkC
At least I'm not going mad.  Mark Prentice's suggestion seems to be to close all running applications.  I've done this and it still doesn't install.  So it looks like we'll have to wait for SP1 of CF2.0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've managed to get it installed now - ;) - but only through trial and error and error and error and......

I ended up removing every other application I had (re-)installed since doing the AKU2 update and then installing CF 2.0 as the very first program (it installs as part of WiFiFoFum, but I used the standalone installer). I then did the requisite soft-reset and then re-installed the other programs I'd removed earlier.

I'm not saying that this is a definitive "fix", but by virtue of the fact that the M5000's storage memory only has the OS loaded when you try the CF install, it'd be hard pressed to bitch about "freeing up some storage memory" - wha'dya do, remove WM5 :shock:

I did also find some remnants of CF 1.0 on my M5000, which I managed to remove by re-installing it (go figure!) first. Did you have CF 1.0 on your M5000 or have you been working exclusively with CF 2.0 and VS2005??

Fingers crossed that this random method works for you!

Mark.

Guest M@rkC
I've managed to get it installed now - ;) - but only through trial and error and error and error and......

Apparently, this has now fixed properly - the .NET CF team have "slipstreamed a fix" from the .NET CF 2.0 SP1 and re-posted the download - here's what the web site says:

.NET Compact Framework v2.0 Workaround for CAB Error #4

A few weeks ago I BLOG’ed about a .NET Compact Framework v2.0 CAB setup error being seen on some low memory Windows Mobile 5.0 devices.  I’m happy to report the workaround for the system failure, which will be included in SP1, has now also been slipstreamed into the current download.  If .NET Compact Framework v2 CAB installation on a Windows Mobile 5.0 device fails with error #4 then this fix is for you.  Just re-download the NETCFv2 package and re-install! 

NETCF v2 download package: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

I expect to see the other languages downloaded sites to be updated as the localization pages are completed in the next few weeks.

The original poster of this thread, @clarkzone, has also posted an entry on his blog, which outlines the steps he had to go through to get VS2005 installed too - you can find that HERE.

Cheers,

Mark.