The mysterious Qtek 8500 (i-mate smartflip)

Guest Untouchab1e

Guest Untouchab1e

Alright, ive finally decided to register here and try to figure this whole mess regarding the HTC Startrek, a.k.a i-mate smartflip, a.k.a Qtek 8500.

Now, i bet you are wondering, why is this phone so mysterious?

Well, firstly, no one are certain of the final specifications. Hmm.. how can i say this? Il just take it from the beginning of my "investigation"..

Firstly, i googled the device and found the following specifications

Alright, thats not really impressive. 65k colors aint alot, the K750i got 256k. 1,3MP camera is alright, but nothing spectacular either. Oh well. Then, by a co-incident, i bumped into the dutch review of the phone here which confirmed the specifications, however, in the sumary, it says "

We were surprised to find only 64MB ROM and not the 128MB ROM we expected. Our sources tell us that later this year there might be a second release of this phone that includes 128MB ROM.

So i got interested.. a second release? I googled some more and found this

and have quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE, a QVGA, 320 x 240 LCD, Bluetooth, a two megapixel digital camera (with flash), 64MB of RAM, up to 128MB of ROM

2mp camera? QVGA LCD display? hmmm.. Ok, i continued to google a bit on that one and found similar specifications here and here

Then, lastly i read the italin review (translated to english through babelfish) here , which put alot of emphasis on the fact that the model was just a preview product, and the phone has already changed since its inital announcement. For instance, the keys are now in aluminium, layered with teflon to ensure a softer feeling.

So, can anyone shed some more light on this? Because i frankly have no idea what to expect. If the phone comes with a decent 2mp camera, and maybe 256k colors, its perfect! (although 3G and video calling would have been appreciated).

Thanks!

Guest shadamehr
Alright, ive finally decided to register here and try to figure this whole mess regarding the HTC  Startrek, a.k.a i-mate smartflip, a.k.a Qtek 8500.

Now, i bet you are wondering, why is this phone so mysterious?

Well, firstly, no one are certain of the final specifications. Hmm.. how can i say this? Il just take it from the beginning of my "investigation"..

Firstly, i googled the device and found the following specifications

Alright, thats not really impressive. 65k colors aint alot, the K750i got 256k. 1,3MP camera is alright, but nothing spectacular either. Oh well. Then, by a co-incident, i bumped into the dutch review of the phone here which confirmed the specifications, however, in the sumary, it says "

So i got interested.. a second release? I googled some more and found this

2mp camera? QVGA LCD display? hmmm.. Ok, i continued to google a bit on that one and found similar specifications here and here

Then, lastly i read the italin review (translated to english through babelfish) here , which put alot of emphasis on the fact that the model was just a preview product, and the phone has already changed since its inital announcement. For instance, the keys are now in aluminium, layered with teflon to ensure a softer feeling.

So, can anyone shed some more light on this? Because i frankly have no idea what to expect. If the phone comes with a decent 2mp camera, and maybe 256k colors, its perfect! (although 3G and video calling would have been appreciated).

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly your not at all up to speed on SmartPhones then mate...

Most modern smartphones (WM devices) have 262K screens (hardware wise) - it is the software that limits it to 65K.

There are NO WM SmartPhones capable of 262K...

Hope that's a start - also, there are No CURRENT SP's capable of 3g and video calling - for that you need move to pocket pc in the form of the MDA Pro O2 Exec etc.

But plenty are PLANNED though...

Read this forum a bit more first, then re-post any unanswered issues, as a lot of yours are covered extensively on here...

Welcome too!

Guest Untouchab1e

Thanks for the update, however, the question remains about what the final specifications on the Qtek 8500 will be. 1,3mp camera or 2mp camera? Flash or no flash, as both are stated around the web!

Expansys list the spec as 2MP camera, and also as having WiFi which another review I read didn't mention.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=131162

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I lnow, no Wifi, but EDGE. 65k colours. Compared it to a RAZR, StarTrek is longer, but that's no criticism. Nicely weighted, very attractive, awesome matt black finish, slightly grippy feel. Specs might not blow you away, but it's a looker.

Guest spacerace
As far as I lnow, no Wifi, but EDGE.  65k colours.  Compared it to a RAZR, StarTrek is longer, but that's no criticism.  Nicely weighted, very attractive, awesome matt black finish, slightly grippy feel.  Specs might not blow you away, but it's a looker.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I didn't think it had WiFi either, shame though as the "next generation" of smartphones I'd hope they'd all have WiFi as standard...

Guest Untouchab1e

Well, still kinda wondering, will we see the same awfull camera? However, if the phone works fine, with decent reception, voice quality etc, im very close at being a certain buyer ;)