HTC Hermes pics...

Guest Syphon Filter

Guest Confucious

What I tend to do is get a new contract and reduce te old one to the lowest cost one - it usually works out cheaper but you do have to change your number. Although you could pay off your old contract, port the number out to a PAYG SIM and then back tou your new contract.

T do seem to be slow in releasing ROM updates but you can ussually put a different ROM on your phone.

Guest Syphon Filter
What I tend to do is get a new contract and reduce te old one to the lowest cost one - it usually works out cheaper but you do have to change your number. Although you could pay off your old contract, port the number out to a PAYG SIM and then back tou your new contract.

T do seem to be slow in releasing ROM updates but you can ussually put a different ROM on your phone.

Well i have Flext 35 +WnW with 25% off for life. Its a damn good deal and i dont want to change contracts. I have my number which i ported from Orange and have had for the past 6/7 years.

I dont mind paying the

Guest Pondrew

I'm still impressed though by the way T-Mobile managed to save the best til last with the MDA III (HTC Blue Angel). They were the only operator to release the most upto date 1.42 rom. In so doing they went from having the most out of date Blue Angel rom to the most up to date rom!

Even Qtek when they subsequently released a new rom for their Blue Angel didn't have the 1.42 rom instead releasing the older 1.40 but with a newer radio stack 1.15.

Still, the LONG wait for the MDA Compact II AKU2 rom is getting to me. The download site STILL says expected March! Only good news is that T-Mobile Germany released it recently so it SHOULD reach our shores soon...

You're right! it looks like the XDA Trion isn't due in germany 'til July so will probably be out in the UK in Aug like the others.

If it's anything like the Universal, Orange will release the M3100 6 months after everyone else has released theire's due to extra testing and when they do releaae it, it will be with an older,less stable ROM version.

Who? Me? cynical? never.... :)

well... I just hope that T or O get their acts together with this... have been out of contract with Orange for a while and really want to move over to T for their Flext + wnw offers... but they don't have any handsets worth taking...

so... guess I'll be a awaiting a while longer....

:)

Guest Confucious

Don't have any handsets worth taking? They have the Wizard and the Universal which is more than Orange do! what are you after?

The Hermes won't be out on any network until Aug and it should be out on T and O about the same time - butb given O's recent record.....

Guest Syphon Filter

Tell you what, the end of July can't come fast enough. I am totally gagging for the HTC TyTN (I assume thats "titan"?).

It looks like one hell of a device. The only issue i have with it is the microSD. Its just annoying as i have just got a 2gig miniSD. I didnt think microSD even came in that size...minor pain though.

Guest Pondrew
Tell you what, the end of July can't come fast enough. I am totally gagging for the HTC TyTN (I assume thats "titan"?).

This is where things get confusing. Since HTC began selling their own devices the naming convention has become doubly confusing. The HTC TyTN being an HTC Hermes is a good example!

I'm in the same boat as you by the way, desperately hoping the Vario II will be released by T-Mobile sooner rather then later as due an upgrade and as much as I'd like an MDA Pro I don't want to settle for old tech (the Universal IS getting rather old you know :) ).

To make matters more confusing I'm wondering whether a switch to O2 might be best as on this particular contract I don't use gprs as have a seperate web n walk tariff and O2 have the best signal where I live. If I could get the XDA IQ I'd probably port over tomorrow...

Guest Syphon Filter

I'm not getting a new contract/upgrade. I'll be buying the Hermes/TyTN whatever it's called offline.

The TyTN is just looking like the perfect combination of features and size. The Universal is just too large for me. I have a Vario (wizard) at the moment and its bloody great (bar some minor "quirks"). The thought of a Vario with extra speed (both data and CPU) just sounds wonderful. Its a shame the TyTN does not have a VGA screen.

Guest Pondrew
VGA screen on a small form factor device would be a bit pointless?

P

I'd be happy with a Blue Angel style Pocket PC with a VGA screen though. Must say I miss the larger screen size as it is...

Would VGA really not be worthwhile with the smaller screen size?

Guest Syphon Filter

I guess so Paul. I'd have to reserve judgement on how useful it would be until i saw 480x640 running on a small screen like that.

Guest sgray

Wow guys,

Thanks for all the info. I think I will wait until the Hermes hits Tmobile, as my contract doesn't run out until end of July anyway - then I can jump ship. Even though I am on Orange Premier, and get good value, the data costs are killing me.

The only think I was a little concerned about was that the device might be a little big to carry around day to day, so was thinking of getting something on the side just for phone calls... is it possible to share tarrif across Tmobile SIM's? I know you can do it on other networks.

Anyway - if you hear anything more about new handsets hitting the streets the let me know :)

Thanks

Simon