gprs/3g and the m5000

Guest Gavink151

Guest Gavink151

Hi,

I am wondering about 3g and when you are browing over 3g and not GPRS. When I click on IE it connects by firing up the "connecting to GPRS" dialog but I dont think I have ever seen it say anything about 3g... how can you tell whats its using?

I am thinking of getting a 3G package (since my trial is about up) but I want to be sure I am connecting via 3g. Is there any way to allow connection ONLY via 3g or wil it always fall back to GPRS? I dometimes see a "U" symbol at the top of the screen - does this signify a 3g signal?

Or am I misunderstanding the distinction between the two completely? :-)

ta!

Hi,

I am wondering about 3g and when you are browing over 3g and not GPRS.  When I click on IE it connects by firing up the "connecting to GPRS" dialog but I dont think I have ever seen it say anything about 3g...  how can you tell whats its using?

I am thinking of getting a 3G package (since my trial is about up) but I want to be sure I am connecting via 3g.  Is there any way to allow connection ONLY via 3g or wil it always fall back to GPRS?  I dometimes see a "U" symbol at the top of the screen - does this signify a 3g signal?

Or am I misunderstanding the distinction between the two completely? :-)

ta!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On phones that have 3G capabilities, it will (assuming you have 3G on your tariff!) try to use that first; if there's poor or no 3G coverage it drops back to use GPRS.

The "U" symbol you see is the 3G indicator - it stands for Universal Mobile Telecommunications System. If you apply the AKU2 update to your device, the "U" symbol has now been replaced by a "3G" symbol.

If you don't see the "U" very often, chances are that the coverage in your area is not that good - might be worth considering the smallest 3G add-on to your tariff and see how it goes?

Mark.

Guest Confucious

Mark is rigtht, the U is 3G and G is GPRS if you are only getting G then coverage must be poor in your area. I've found Oranges coverage to be very good but am just changing to T-Mob as unlimited data for £7.50 a month is just to good to miss.

Data on Orange outside your bundle is very expensive, I was using 50-70Mb /month when it was free but on the cheapest £4 for 4Mb bundle it is £1/meg over that. Make sure you monitor your usage if you are with O!