Windows Media Player 9- Cannot copy to mobile device

Guest cbcox

Guest someone

But if you have installed windows media encoder 9, all old codecs will automatically be removed from your computer. This happened to me too, and I don't know how to get the old codecs back.

Any ideas??

The SPV can't handle windows media audio codec 9 files, you have to use windows media codec 7 or 8 for converting audio.

Are you sure? I encoded a TV program using Snapstream using the Windows Media 9 Codecs, transfered it to my phone (drag and drop) and it plays back fine - both picture and sound (although it still has the usual stutter!).

Ben.

Yeah, I just downloaded Windows Media Player 9 from Windows Update and it replaced version 8 which was on my machine (Win XP Pro).

In the "Copy to CD of Device" screen on WM9, I select a track, which it converts ok but when it tries to copy, I get a "an error occured" message rather than the complete that wp8 gave.

Clicking on the error message gives 0xC00D117A: Windows Media Plater Had encountered an error with the portable device:

The storage card on the portable device is full. Free some space on the storage card,and then try copying the file again (no, it's not, 64mb and empty and I can copy over any other type of files)

The portable device is not turned on. Turn the device on, and then try copying the files again (it is of course on!)

A playlist of folder cannot be created on the portable device because it does not support this function.

Download yourself a copy of the beta (release candidate) version of MS Encoder 9 from the MS Windows Media website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...der/default.asp

Click 'Properties' at the main screen after you have gone through the wizard or quick start with defaults.  

Sources tab -  

Source should be 'Source1' or similar. Click Source from: 'File'. Browse for the .wav (or other format) input file if not correct.  

Output tab -  

Click 'Archive to file' and uncheck the 'Pull from encoder' then you browse/enter the output file name [anything you want].

Compression tab -  

Click 'Edit' button.

Enter Audio - CBR - Windows Media Audio V9  

Click top tab next to 'General' - should have ????kbs on it.  

Select an 'Audio format' I use '20kbs, 22kHz, mono CBR'.

Press 'OK' then 'Apply'

The Properties menu will remain this is normal now click 'Start Encoding'

The file should now be the place you specified earlier.

Goodluck ;)

Given that I cannpt even system restore back to windows media player 8, is there any automated way of making 64kps wma files for my phone, as the media encoder is too time consuming to do whole albums at a time

Guest cepheus1

Personally, when I'm ripping music for my portable devices I just change the settings in Musicmatch and record the music I want as 64kps and then transfer those across to my device. It rips at something like 10x so it's no problem to knock out my favourite albums ;)

Musicmatch is free as well if you dont want all the features :!: