Has anyone Unlocked their Universal?

Guest Danlance

Guest Danlance

Has anyone had their Universal SIM Unlocked :??:

I have an Orange SPV M5000 - locked to Orange.

I was wondering if anyone had actually had their Universal unlocked.

I have heard:

• Orange will unlock for £20 - but only if you are the original contract holder for the phone.
  • IMEI Check will unlock the phone for £50 - if you send the phone to them

Unfortunately I cannot do the former, as I am not the original owner of the device (given to me by on of our clients within the mobile phone industry), and £50 does seem rather a lot...

Guest Confucious

Apart from the networks imei-check are, AFAIK, the only people who can unlock the Universal.

I'm sure that eventually other people will crack it but until then you either pay imei-check or you have an expensive paper weight.

The choice is yours.

Guest Danlance
Apart from the networks imei-check are, AFAIK, the only people who can unlock the Universal.

I'm sure that eventually other people will crack it but until then you either pay imei-check or you have an expensive paper weight.

The choice is yours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:|

Not quite that bad - I'm on orange atm - just planning on switching to T-Mobile and getting a Vario (no point having 2 universals - and I can get the vario with CoPilot for about the same as another Universal) - but it would be nice to be able to still use the Universal from time to time...

Guest shadamehr

The choice is yours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

Are you guys saying that the Universal can't yet be unlocked in the way my Wizard was - the simple tool that SIM and CID unlocks it???

Oh crikey - my MDA Pro is due to arrive tomorrow, and I never ever realised this...

Oh no.

Guest shadamehr
Why do you need it unlocked? With T-Mobs prices who cares?

Unless yoyu are going to Oranges domkey plan....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just like the 'reassurance' of being able to use any SIM...

But a quick trip to XDA Developers confirms what you say.

Boy - how pleased am I with this new T-Mobile tariff and bundle - like you say, for once in my life, I should not have any need to use another SIM, luckily.

So Confucious - what's the story then - we can't SIM unlock them, but how do we CID unlock them, as it seems you CAN however, put other operator ROMs on.

How is this done? xda devs was not as clear on that point before I had to go off to work earlier...

Guest Confucious

I did find how to put another ROM on but it's not simple and there are risks so I decided not to bother. I have an Exec (at the moment on Orange but only until my new SIM arrives tomorrow then I'll be on T-Mob) and I am happy with the O2 ROM and will wait for AKU2 due out on the 10th.

You were looking in the right place for details.

Guest Danlance
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

Are you guys saying that the Universal can't yet be unlocked in the way my Wizard was - the simple tool that SIM and CID unlocks it???

Oh crikey - my MDA Pro is due to arrive tomorrow, and I never ever realised this...

Oh no.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IIRC, I have head t-mobile will unlock the device after the first month for £15 - which seems pretty reasonable to me... (if its true)

Guest shadamehr
IIRC, I have head t-mobile will unlock the device after the first month for £15 - which seems pretty reasonable to me... (if its true)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't remember where i saw the T&C's in a post somewhere, but they will indeed do this.

BUT... amongst other things, you must have been an existing TMob customer for over a month (which I am), and not have requested more than 2 PIN codes (as they call them) in the last year, (which is fine as I haven't), and if you are within your contract term, you must pay out the remainder of the time left to run (which is the bit in common with all other nets, and is absolutely no use to me, given I have 17 months still to run).

The last bit is what makes it a moot issue.

Guest Danlance
and if you are within your contract term, you must pay out the remainder of the time left to run (which is the bit in common with all other nets...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:evil: :oops: :evil: :oops: :twisted: ;)

Nice one - no one mentioned that bit...

Thats generally the terms for cancelling of contract - seems rather harsh when / if you don't want to cancel the contract - just to be able to use it on others when required...

Oh well - networks will e networks I suppose :|