How can I prevent the on screen keyboard opening?

Guest xerxes

Guest xerxes

Hi, I use the hard keyboard for all data entry on my Universal so I get annoyed when the screen keyboard keeps opening.

It keeps on opening whenever I use the pointer (or fingernail) to select a text field in PIE, Excel, Word etc.

Is there a way to make the hard keyboard the default entry method?

Xerxes

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xerxes
' date='Apr 8 2006, 14:18' post='730432']Try installing nullkb. Select it as your input type and it should suppress the soft keypad.

http://personales.ya.com/beemer/prod03.htm

Thanks for the suggestion Monolithix. I was just about to try it out when I found a comment from somebody at MS that contained a simpler answer.

Apparently the keyboard is designed to pop up if it thinks you need it. If you close before typing on the hard keyboard it will auto open again next time it thinks it is needed which is usually on the next text field.

Instead of closing the SIP keyboard just ignore it and start to type. The SIP then closes itself and doesn't open until you press the button to request it.

I guess this is another little undocumented "feature" from MS.

Guest Shuflie

Would be nice if it just sensed whether the phone was in "laptop" or PDA mode and only pop up in text fields when the keyboard is hidden behind the screen.