Rikaline 6033 BT GPS Receiver with Laptop

Guest khay0911

Guest khay0911

I just bought a Rikaline 6033 Bluetooth GPS Receiver and after a whole day and upgrading my Moto MPX220 to the Asian firmware, I was finally able to connect it to my phone. Now, I am trying to connect to my laptop through a BT dongle and have spent several days with no luck. It seems to pair fine but the blue LED keeps flashing and none of my mapping programs recognize that it's connected. Same problem that was happening on my phone before I upgraded the firmware.

I've read several articles that pairing with this was no problem, but I've tried on my laptop and a desktop with the same BT dongle and have had no luck. I've read something about using COM6. Windows XP will not let me choose COM6 when pairing this device (or at least I'm baffled trying to figure out how to add COM6).

Anyone else experience this problem. It's working great with my phone now, but if I can't connect to my laptop, that would really be a bummer. :x

Guest DJ_Big_Al
I just bought a Rikaline 6033 Bluetooth GPS Receiver and after a whole day and upgrading my Moto MPX220 to the Asian firmware, I was finally able to connect it to my phone. Now, I am trying to connect to my laptop through a BT dongle and have spent several days with no luck. It seems to pair fine but the blue LED keeps flashing and none of my mapping programs recognize that it's connected. Same problem that was happening on my phone before I upgraded the firmware.

I've read several articles that pairing with this was no problem, but I've tried on my laptop and a desktop with the same BT dongle and have had no luck. I've read something about using COM6. Windows XP will not let me choose COM6 when pairing this device (or at least I'm baffled trying to figure out how to add COM6).

Anyone else experience this problem. It's working great with my phone now, but if I can't connect to my laptop, that would really be a bummer. :x

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, here goes. 4 days of experimenting with everything I've found mostly in this forum and some combo ideas from others.

First, you must be able and familiar with the post regarding using a regedit program for the smartphone. You must be familiar with the instructions posted about adjusting the values in the currentuser>control panel>bluetooth set to 1. Now, connect your Rikaline 6033 through your standard bluetooth setup. Do not enter the passkey of 0000 just hit done. Rename the Rikaline to GPS. It will say you are now connected with GPS. Start the mapping software, if it's TomTom you need to make sure that under tomtom's gps preferences you have selected "other" for the receiver.

Now here is the thing that took the longest time. I did this and it started working HOWEVER, any wrong moves or additional connections causes this setup to fail. This is the technical order to approach repair instead of guessing and/or trying to figure out why it works one time and not the next. I re-flashed my phone about 10 times using all different kinds of ROMS and experimented with these settings over and over until I figured out what order it takes to make this work every time.

Ok, so lets say at this point you want to create an activesync connection: well thats another bit of instructions that I can also help with if you want to contact me directly. [email protected]

Create the bluetooth connection to your laptop or desktop and be sure to set the connection settings in active sync to the same port that your computer is using. This can be found either through the bluetooth devices manager (blue icon in my system tray) or in the device manager. Once you start messing with this and hopefully get it working, if you go back to the gps software, it likely will not work. The blue light will flash indefinitely. Everytime you are at this point, this is the order to do things in to get it to work:

1st edit the registry bluetooth settings back to 1 as described in the other article in this forum or you can google it

2nd go to bluetooth connections and DO NOT delete the gps connection, just simply add new device again and this time it will find GPS instead of Rikaline just click ok or done until it says connected to GPS again. Start the gps software and it should work again. I am still working on ActiveSync connections. It seems to be more stable to connect activesync via usb cable and use the gps only with bluetooth. Regardless, it seems that everytime I mess with another connection and go back to tomtom it doesnt connect and I have to go through this process. A little annoying but I'm happy it works at all at this point.

Some extra steps not needed you may read elsewhere.

No need to reboot phone everytime or before or after these connections are made or reset.

No need to delete the GPS connection. You just re-add it. No need to reboot the gps receiver rikaline.

Ok the answer to activesync with these to pieces of hardware.

You will do the same type of reconnect with your pc that I explained above for the pc to enable activesynce to work again after having used another bluetooth device or for whatever reason it craps out.

You will open the bluetooth device manager (blue icon in taskbar) and turn the discovery on. Open the bluetooth properties in the mpx220 and add new device. It will find your pc again even if you already had the connection. Do not bother deleting the connection that was already there. Add it again and you should get a notification on pc that a device wants to connect. Click yes and add a passkey. Use the passkey on the phone as well. Then done and start active sync again on phone and click connect via bluetooth. Don't foget to change the advanced settings in activesync on phone to connect BLUETOOTH AS. If you decide to use a cable change this setting back.

1 MORE COMMENT on this:

If you are using TOMTOM MOBILE and you have issues regarding it freezing on the front green disclaimer screen, I have the solution for that too. See my email above.

DJ Big Al

A+, NET +, MCP