Case that allows in-case keyboard usage?

Guest mmmaiki

Guest mmmaiki

I've had my T-Mobile (USA) MDA (rebranded HTC Wizard) for over a week now, and have been using the case that comes with it.

I'd like to get the kind of case that remains on the MDA all the time, including when you use it, with a flip cover to protect the screen.

The problem with most of these made for the MDA (and other variants of HTC Wizard) is that you have to take off the case to use the keyboard. That makes keyboard use less convenient, and makes the stay-in case less convenient, if you have to take it on and off to use the keyboard.

I have come across a few stay-in cases for this phone, however, with which you can use the keyboard while in the case. I would like to hear comments from users who have used these cases, and/or hear about any other cases in this category.

I already ordered one, a week ago, the day after I got my MDA:

Pocket Solutions Book Case

However, I haven't received it. On contacting the vendor's e-mail customer support (they don't list a phone number on their web site), after a long delay I hear that they don't have the case in stock, they hope to get them in next week. (Yet, they already charged my credit card for it, for a product they don't have. That irks me.) I'm thinking of cancelling, and ordering somewhere else.

In any case (no pun intended ;-) ), has anyone reading used that case? Review?

I see a very similar case (perhaps the same one, neither lists a manufacturer for it) at extremepda.com (Product Code: TMOBILEBOOKFLIP)? They list a phone number, so I would call first to see if they have it in stock. Anyone order from them before? Anyone ordered this particular case?

Proporta has a case that looks very similar, except that it has aluminum in it too (called alu-leather) to give the phone added protection:

Proporta Alu-leather case for T-Mobile MDA (In fact, it looks so similar, I'm wondering if Proporta is the manufacturer of the other case mentioned above, just that the other is lacking the aluminum.)

However, I have read a review of this case that is pretty negative:

Review of Proporta Alu-leather MDA case on Gadgeteer

(Actually, the review is of the model that opens portrait, while I am more interested in the one that opens landscape. But aside from that difference in how the flip cover opens, I assume the cases are the same.)

Anyone reading used that case? Do you agree with the reviewer? Or, do you like the case? Any comments?

(In fact, I think that the first case (the one I ordered) might be so similar to this proporta case, just without the aluminum, that I'm afraid the problems the reviewer mentioned (pressure on keyboard, etc.) might be there with that case as well.)

One other case I've seen, where you can open the keyboard, with the case on, is one by Piel Frama. Here is a link to it on PocketSolutions, although I'm sure it is also available from other manufacturers:

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2...Product_Count=5

VERY EXPENSIVE though: $75! And I'm not sure how securely this case holds the MDA. (It can be found at the Piel Frama web site listed for the QTEK 9100:

Piel Frama case on their web site

(Although nothing is said there about the keyboard, and no picture of the keyboard sliding out, it appears to be the same case.)

Has anyone reading used that Piel Frama case? Any comments on it?

I have seen a blog where the writer expresses his reservations about that case (he doesn't have one, just considering buying one, but has questions about how securely it holds the phone), at:

http://www.beyondthetech.com/blogs/wm/ (scroll to the bottom of the page).

It would be good to read a review from someone who has actually used this case though. Very expensive though--hard to justify spending that much on a case.

I would be interested in reading from anyone who has tried one of these stay-on cases that allow keyboard usage in the case, or who knows about other such models.

Thank you.

Guest richard_hogg

I have the case from PocketSolutions (the first link).

It's fairly good, though you can usually get it for about 15 quid delivered from fleabay (PDAGear is the brand on mine).

Guest mmmaiki
I have the case from PocketSolutions (the first link).

It's fairly good, though you can usually get it for about 15 quid delivered from fleabay (PDAGear is the brand on mine).

I don't know which case you are referring to by "it".

Anyone here tried Proporta alu-leather?

Also, any comments on "flip" vs. "book" styles? (Refers to how the flap covering the screen opens. Portrait="flip", Landscape- "book".)

Guest Alsicole

I have the Alu-Leather flip case. It does the job pretty well. Flap does hang down from the bottom of the phone when you're making a call, but it doesn't get in the way or anything. The plastic across the keyboard makes it less tactile, but is still useable. If you take the case of and put it back on frequently I can imagine it would get a bit loose, so the plastic across the keypad can punch a little when you're trying to close it quickly, so it's not perfect, but seems to me to be the best available case option for the Wizard right now.

Guest mmmaiki
I have the Alu-Leather flip case. It does the job pretty well. Flap does hang down from the bottom of the phone when you're making a call, but it doesn't get in the way or anything. The plastic across the keyboard makes it less tactile, but is still useable. If you take the case of and put it back on frequently I can imagine it would get a bit loose, so the plastic across the keypad can punch a little when you're trying to close it quickly, so it's not perfect, but seems to me to be the best available case option for the Wizard right now.

Do you find that the plastic on the keyboard makes it more difficult to open and close?

Do you think that the flap to the side ("book" style) might work out better than the flap hanging down below?

What about if you are standing in line, and want to check something on the Internet while doing so, typing on the keyboard, etc. Would that long flap to the side (when using landscape, with keyboard) would make that more cumbersome. Try typing on the keyboard while standing. Does that flap make it more clumsy? Would the "book" style flap work better for that purpose?

Guest Alsicole

The plastic doesn't make the unit harder to open, just sometimes gets caught whilst closing. I don't find the flip is particularly annoying when the device is being used landscape and open.

It's worth checking with Proporta as I'm pretty sure they have some kind of money back satisfaction guarantee, so if you're not happy with the case, it's quality or how it works with your device, you may well be able to send it back to them.

Don't know if you're using a screen protector on the Vario at the moment, but Proporta's Advanced Screen Protector is very good - I use them on all my own devices.

Guest koniosis

I have a black leather Piel Frama case, slightly different to the website you point to. You cannot use the keyboard while the phone is in the case, but it is still a very good case, it protects the phone well and is lightweight and fits in my pocket fine. The case on http://www.thepocketsolution.com that is a similar style to the Piel Frama appears to have a detachable band that goes below the screen (thus allowing keyboard usage), where as on my Piel this band is actually part of the main case body leather (not sewn on) which makes it very solid but unable to use the keyboard.

Also note that the Piel Frama leather wraps all the way around to the edges of the screen where as the pocketsolution.com case only comes half way up the side of the phone (to allow the keyboard to slide out). What you will find is the Piel Frama is a more solid case, where as the pocketsolution.com case allows you to slide the keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Just realsed that the Piel Frama case on that website is the same as the pocketsolution.com one, here is a link to my Piel Frama http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/8646.htm

Edited by koniosis