Disabling GPRS until needed

Guest b6x

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a simple way to disable GPRS on the O2 miniS? I use the phone on WiFi quite alot at home when I can't be bothered to switch on PC... however if I leave apps open like I.E. or Messenger and take the phone out of the house in my pocket, I get a nice shock of GPRS taking over and a connected time of several hours.

Very annoying.

Would be nice to have a simple enable/disable method as I do use GPRS occaisionally on the move.

Thanks and regards,

b6x

Guest Webreaper

Yeah, I found this - it's not just annoying, but potentially can get very expensive if you find yourself surfing and checking email on the device for an hour over GPRS when you've got a wifi connection.

I find the best way is to set up a second connection called 'No connection' (do this on the 'Connections' control panel applet) with duff settings and choose it to be the default. Then when the device doesn't have wifi internet access, it will attempt to connect to the duff connection, and will fail.

If you want to connect to GPRS when you're out and about, just click on 'settings' and select the other connection.

Yeah, I found this - it's not just annoying, but potentially can get very expensive if you find yourself surfing and checking email on the device for an hour over GPRS when you've got a wifi connection.

I find the best way is to set up a second connection called 'No connection' (do this on the 'Connections' control panel applet) with duff settings and choose it to be the default. Then when the device doesn't have wifi internet access, it will attempt to connect to the duff connection, and will fail.

If you want to connect to GPRS when you're out and about, just click on 'settings' and select the other connection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thaanks for the repsonse. Think this is how I'm going to have to play it for now. Shame there's not a "gprs" icon on the Comm Manager screen along with the wi-fi and bluetooth on/off icon.

Thanks again.

b6x

Guest Webreaper
Shame there's not a "gprs" icon on the Comm Manager screen along with the wi-fi and bluetooth on/off icon.

It would be handy, particularly given that on the latest ROM you can turn off the phone but leave wifi enabled (rather than just having 'flight mode' where everything wireless is disabled).

It would also make the comm-manager much neater with everything aligned, instead of 7 buttons and the activeSync one looking like an afterthought. :P

Just spotted this thread which might hold the answer. ;)

Edited by Webreaper

Guest Laser_iCE

Speaking of the Communications Manager, what the hell is that PDA one? Is it file transfers or something? I've been trying to figure it out, but nothing ;\ The one I'm referring to is in the bottom left, under the WiFi...