Problems with unicode in SMS

Guest TomeQ

Guest TomeQ

Hi.

When i'm writing SMS messages i'm using T9 text input. But in my language (polish) there are special characters, which need unicode encoding. So, what's the problem? If i'll enable Unicode option, i'm able to send only 70 character in message, but when i'll disable it, character limit is set back to 140, but... after sending message with special characters (like ą, ć, ż, ź,

Guest flodis79
Hi.

When i'm writing SMS messages i'm using T9 text input. But in my language (polish) there are special characters, which need unicode encoding. So, what's the problem? If i'll enable Unicode option, i'm able to send only 70 character in message, but when i'll disable it, character limit is set back to 140, but... after sending message with special characters (like ą, ć, ż, ź,

Guest TomeQ
I guess that the sms center either on your side or the recipient's side is not configured for Unicode.

Try to send to yourself, and see if it will be presented with proper Polish characters.

But enabling unicode in messages = 70 characters max. in one message.

In my last phone (Motorola E1000), disabling unicode = change ą => a, ć = > c, etc. so special chars were removed. But here all special chars are being replaced with "?"...

Guest flodis79
But enabling unicode in messages = 70 characters max. in one message.

In my last phone (Motorola E1000), disabling unicode = change ą => a, ć = > c, etc. so special chars were removed. But here all special chars are being replaced with "?"...

Yes, but probably they are still treated as Unicode in your phone all the time - you will not get question marks in your own phone, no? Only in the recipient's phone?

Edited by flodis79

Guest TomeQ
Yes, but probably they are still treated as Unicode in your phone all the time - you will not get question marks in your own phone, no? Only in the recipient's phone?

No, when i will send message to my phone number, i will see question marks too... So i think phone is sending messages with question marks.

• 1 year later...
Guest CyBerGH0ST

im polish too and i have the same problem on my Toshiba G500 with WM5. it converts special characters from unicode to question marks instead of normal letters.

anyone knows how to change coding page of messages being sent from phone? i would experiment with this...

• 1 month later...
Guest gt7599a@

The following works for sending other Unicode characters in SMS

from http://www.ppcsg.com/lofiversion/index.php/t84361.html

to send [unicode] characters properly, Unicode must be enabled in your device...to enable Unicode, launch your SMS Inbox, select Menu, Tools, Options, click on Text Messages and then make sure the "Use Unicode when necessary" is ticked...

Hope this helps.

Ed