Microsoft release Mobile Live Communications Client

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Microsoft have released their much anticipated, and bizarrely named 'Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile' client, which allows users of Mobile Devices to connect to Live Communications Server 2005.

The download, which is available HERE, includes the following:

Communicator Mobile extends the reach of Live Communications Server 2005 to information workers who use Windows Mobile based devices. Communicator Mobile offers a similar look and feel to the desktop version of Microsoft Office Communicator 2005, and it ensures that access to capabilities that are provided by Live Communications Server 2005 continues when users are away from their desks.

Communicator Mobile is available in four editions for Windows Mobile based devices, depending on which operating system the device is running. The installation file for each operating system is as follows:

Windows Mobile 2003 SE for Pocket PCs

Downloadable file name: CommunicatorMobile_PPC2003.msi.

Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PCs

Downloadable file name: CommunicatorMobile_PPC50.msi.

Windows Mobile 2003 SE for Smartphone

Downloadable file name: CommunicatorMobile_SP2003.msi.

Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone

Downloadable file name: CommunicatorMobile_SP50.msi.

Enjoy! ;)

P

Guest jctune

I'm just putting the term Windows Messenger in here - as that's what I was searching on last month trying to find a way to use my Wizard to connect to our IM server here at work (which uses SIP) that was inaccessible using any other existing PPC IM client.

The app works well - we don't use VOIP so I couldn't test that.

Edited by jctune

Guest jharvey00

Downloaded and installed today. Already use the desktop version of Communicator for corporate messaging so hopefully this will provide a nice mobile addition to the IM arsenal.

Can't get it to connect atm so speaking to my internal messaging team; will post an update once its running!

-James

Guest edgecrush3r

We have 'Live Communication Server' installed for #dev purposes.

I tested both PDA and SmartPhone version, and I got a bit anoiyed with the latter one.

With the current Smartphone 2003 SE version there is no-way to setup VoIP Phone-calls. You can only setup calls directly using the "Work" or "Home" number, but this invokes the normal Dialer-screen of the device (and hence use the Mobile-Network to try to connect with the number).

The PDA version however does have this ability, so you can route the calls through your local voIP telco infrastructure.

Can anyone confirm if the other smartphone version (WM2005) does support making calls to a 'Computer' directly?

Cheers,

Tony

Guest edgecrush3r

Okay guys.. I just bought a 'HTC Wizard' in order to answer my own question (and I wanted to have this phone for a looooonnng time anyway.)

The Qtek 9100 will let you install the PPC version on the device without problems (strangly enough the smartphone 2005 version will just give an 'unable to install.. incompatible device')..

Noww for the result ... drum drum ... The 2005 version does allow SIP/RTC communication, so yes its possible to make VoIP calls to any other SIP device using Live Comm Server 2005.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.