O2 to snag Hermes

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy

The::unwired has some shots of the Hermes with O2 branding, which makes sense given their intentions to roll out HSDPA this year.

For those inquisitive for what the final spec sheet might look like on this thing, T-Mo Germany's got their MDA Vario II product listing live (warning, pdf link!) which has all the stuff we pretty much knew (just made official), like quad-band GSM, HSDPA, 2 megapixel camera, WiFi, Bluetooth, and a scroll wheel.

A name wasn't mentioned yet nor an estimated price. However, the sender said the Xda version of the Hermes is expected to be available Q3.

o2_xda_hermes_leak3.jpg

Source

Guest chucky.egg

I'm not sure about the button layout - I think I prefer the earlier style that didn't have the Windows and OK buttons around the DPAD

Interestingly (?) Vodafone's roadmap used to include the "HTC Hermes", but now includes the "HTC Mercury" instead in the same timescale.

I've never heard of a Mercury, so I thought it may be a name change?

Guest sporkguy

Certainly the buttons *look* nicer - however I'm also not too keen on the way the keys are so close together.

Smaller than I expected though

Guest Dr Who

Why do they always get models with such big hands to show off new mobiles! I am sure there is a model agency out there somewhere which only has people on its books with freakishly large hands. You think, ooh that looks small, buy one and its the size of a small dinner plate.

That said I am really looking forward to the Hermes appearing on T-Mob. Soon please.

Guest sporkguy
Why do they always get models with such big hands to show off new mobiles! I am sure there is a model agency out there somewhere which only has people on its books with freakishly large hands. You think, ooh that looks small, buy one and its the size of a small dinner plate.

That said I am really looking forward to the Hermes appearing on T-Mob. Soon please.

LOL - should hire me.. I have hands smaller than my gf.. and she's only 5ft2 - even the M500 looked big in my hands ;)

Guest nevawlkalone

Question is....seen as how T-Mobile hav *Apparently* had this set for a may realease...which i mite add doesnt seem to be happenenig...do you wait for T-mobile with FlexT or wait for O2 and there cracking online deals...but no definate release date on either its a hard chioce, but still.....i want one of these...baaaaad

Glad i didnt opt for a vario....i would be kicking meself if i couldnt get one of these if i was stuck in a contract! The waiting game begins lol ;)

Guest Dr Who
I don't like the button layout tbh....too close together ;)

Buttons look bigger though. Might be close together but it might be just as easy to use?

As regards O2 vs TMob - no contest surely, Unlimited data vs expensive data, I know which I will pick!

Guest nevawlkalone
Buttons look bigger though. Might be close together but it might be just as easy to use?

To me the hole device looks a tad bigger than the original shots we saw....

the extra buttons are a plus tho...save getrin the stylus out or pressing the wrong things etc!

As for the key pad....on the Vario the buttons were small but still resonably close...i found myself occasionally hitting two ata atime when typing fast during a trial run O2 gave me so the larger buttons should help....specially if the are like the EXEC/M5000 with the rised dimple effect thingy!

As regards O2 vs TMob - no contest surely, Unlimited data vs expensive data, I know which I will pick!

True, but all depends on if you use data alot....! with a proper keyboard and 3g i could see my using it goin up more...specially on the train to and from work!

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Dr Who

I think that would be the joy of this device - 3G and unlimited data would completely change the way I use my mobile device. Streaming media from my home laptop using Orb would be possible, even live TV! Keeping up with the BBC, listening to the test match via the internet, basically all the things I have wanted to do but never could because of the data costs! Swwweeeeetttt.

Guest Syphon Filter

well, i only got my vario recently on the Flext and WnW, but I think i will pick one of these up offline and just slap my tmobile sim it. Its everything i want from a mobile WnW device. The speed boost of 3G/HSDPA alone will be worth the asking price to me. I will probably flog my Vario on ebay or something. Or i might just keep it at as a stay at home device.

Loving the look of this Hermes though...The keyboard will be fine guys, the keys are larger thats all. It will be fine I am sure. Cant wait...hurry up and get it to the UK thats all i have to to say really!!

Will the hardware in the Qtek, Imate, Tmobile etc versions all be the same? Just different branded ROMs as with current wizard variants?

Guest belfast-biker

Yeah - if O2 want to wake up, someone there should be PANICKING.

As of 7 days ago, I'm been charged about

Guest belfast-biker
I happily signed in for 18 months with tmobile, because I know I'm going to be happy with the package and data for the next year and a half, and longer.

Fair point. I just like new toys every year. ;)

Guest nevawlkalone
Fair point. I just like new toys every year. ;)

I second that..i mean how long has it taken for them to replace the Vario with the Vario 2...ant definate release dates yet from any provider!

M

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ricardo the fish

Looks like the Hermes is now available to buy HERE on O2 Germany. Branded as an O2 XDA Trion.

EDIT:

this has also been spotted by Sleighty in This thread.

Edited by ricardo the fish

Guest nevawlkalone
Looks like the Hermes is now available to buy HERE on O2 Germany. Branded as an O2 XDA Trion.

EDIT:

this has also been spotted by Sleighty in This thread.

Any fluent germans? lol

It looks soooooo cool..i want one even more! When in the uk?

Edited by nevawlkalone

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.