Stylus woes

Guest Total Eclipse

Guest Total Eclipse

Grrr, I've had my Vario for just over 3 months, and the stylus is almost ready to fall out - 90% of the time it doesn't extend when you pull it out, and it's defnintely more "rattly" when it's slid back in.

As I've had it more than 28 days, T-Mobile say they're no longer responsible for repairing it or replacing it!!! ;) (What happened to the old days where you'd phone your mobile company to report a fault with your phone, and they'd have a replacement sent out by courier the following day?)

Anyway, what I was wondering was has anyone else had their Wizard sent off for repair, and if so did it actually fix the issue, or does the problem come back again (implying that there's a design defect)?

Guest richard_hogg

It's definitely a design flaw as it happens with all the various brands of wizards all over the world.

Best solution I've seen is to wrap some sellotape around the stylus, makes it stick in and easier to hold (imho).

Guest Dazism

Yeah the problem will definitely come back even if you do manage to get it fixed.

I too used sellotape to fix it. Wrap it round 3-4 times and I can now shake my Vario quite vigorously without the stylus budging. Amazing sense of achievement, too. 'I fixed an insanely complex phone, ALL BY MYSELF!' ;)

Guest TomaHawk

anyone know cheapest place for replacement stylus?

i lost my second in a week after having the phone for 6 months. bizarre??

what actually causes the problem wear in the silo?

Guest mossywell
anyone know cheapest place for replacement stylus?

LOL - I lost my first in 2 days. I use my finger nail now as it's cheaper and doesn't fall out with minimal use. ;)

Replacements from expansys are quite cheap I think.

Guest Rob.P

Mine did the same a few days ago, got a paper clip and straightened out and gently rubbed the inside top of the slot in a vain attempt to unstick what I thought would be small bearings or whatever that holds the stylus in, seems like i got lucky my stylus is sticking backing.

If you try it cause your an optimist like me ;) then remember the keyword gently! :P

Guest Total Eclipse

Ho hum. I called into my T-Mobile shop on Saturday, and they said they can send it off for repair and give me a loan phone in the mean time. The bloke in the shop seemed quite suprised when I told him what the problem was, and said that's the first case he'd heard of.

I don't know whether HTC have realised there's a problem with their design and changed the design of the stylus holder (I hope so, but I doubt it), but I might send it in for repair anyway and see how it goes.

Guest mossywell
The bloke in the shop seemed quite suprised when I told him what the problem was, and said that's the first case he'd heard of.

It's a load of old kak. :P

All companies say that even if they're hit with the problems many times today. What was that company that makes the cars where the bonnet (hood) suddenly flips up when you're driving? "First time we've ever heard about that, guv!" even though hundreds of people had complained. Another example: a very large well known computer company (not MS) have a repeatable problem with an expensive piece of software. "We've never come across that before" they said. I contacted another of customers and asked if they had the issue: "yeah, we get it all the time: XXXX [for they shall remain nameless] told us they'd never seen it before". What about Orange and the dust behind the screen? OCS: "no one's ever told us about that before." Hogwash, piffle and balderdash! The moral of the story: "we've never seen this before" is secret code for "oh pants, not another one that we're desperate to keep out of the press so we'll just have to lie to our customers". ;)

Guest Sambodeforce

After a stylus went missing a few weeks back, I attacked the stylus silo with a cotton-bud. It retreived a whole load of crap from the silo, but it still wobbles about in the silo. Think I might give the selotape trick a try. Ideally, I'd want something a tad more classy, but at the end of the day, I lost one stylus and I don't want to lose another

Guest Laser_iCE

Looser...

And looser...

I read the topic...

Looser...

Now I'm down two stylus'... I think the second one is around here somewhere... I should have selo'd while I had the chance...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest leshemnoam
Ho hum. I called into my T-Mobile shop on Saturday, and they said they can send it off for repair and give me a loan phone in the mean time. The bloke in the shop seemed quite suprised when I told him what the problem was, and said that's the first case he'd heard of.

I had the some problem and went to a shop they didn't have a loan phone to give me and it toke them two weeks to replace it! My friend who also has a vario with the some problem called t-mob and they said it was "ware n' tear" and argued for 15 min before accepting it as a design flaw.

I moved from orange last year but now I

Guest Total Eclipse

Well, after three weeks, I finally got my phone back.

I say "my phone", in actual fact they swapped it. I've no idea whether this one will be any better in the long run, but at least for now the stylus fits nice and tight again. Ho-hum :)

Guest marcwic
Care to provide some more information on this?

What a win for England!

About the fix, google "htc wizard stylus fix" :)) first result.

Guest leshemnoam
What a win for England!

About the fix, google "htc wizard stylus fix" :)) first result.

cheers, toke the word right out of me...

come on England!!!!

Guest mandt
What a win for England!

Ok here's how it's gonna work:

Sven will get caught with his pants down yet again, this time with posh! Sven gets sacked and Steve McClaren is immediately promoted and brings Defoe back while sending Theo 'never played in the top flight' Walcott home.

Beckham declares war on 'all things swedish' and has a drunken rampage in the nearest IKEA, then sticks four world class individual goals past the swedes to send them packing

Next round sees the inevitable England - Germany meeting where yet again after extra time it goes to penalties. before the penalty shootout starts Klinsmann runs up to Lehmann with the intention of giving him a pep talk, but on reaching the area instinctively dives flat on his face while looking around for the ref

I guess those old habits die hard eh Jurgen!

Next England defeat Argentina with Two goals each from Owen and Rooney, in the interview after they declare it was the 'feet of God'

In the final England meet Brazil, Ronaldo is still trying to shift his overweight frame round the pitch while the England forwards run rings round the Brazilian defence scoring four in the process

Then the best England team for years bring the world cup home!

all together now: 'Jules Rimet still gleaming'

Guest cthulhu

Hopefully diverting the subject back to the OP...

I've seen a lot of stylii/styluses advertised as being suitable for the Vario, but they don't look like they will sit flush with the case like the original did.

Has anyone bought replacements from T-Mobile, or is there anywhere that sells the correct ones??

Guest mandt

Yeh back on topic!

Since I am also on my last one I was looking at THIS one yesterday which looks like a dead ringer for the original. would be good to konw if anyones bought one...

Guest mossywell
Hmmm styluses arrived today from Expansys. Great service with next day delivery, but no entirely happy with the styluses!

They're a bit looser than the original, feel cheaper and grind when you expand them. There we're some slightly more expensive ones on expansys. Maybe I should have gone for those... :)

I got these from Expansys http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=126515. They seem to me to be just like the originals.