SPV M600 wifi problems

Guest jamespvm600

Guest jamespvm600

Hi I am using my phone to connect to my wifi at home, it finds the connection without any problems but doesn't stay connected for very long, a few minutes at a time then reconnects. I have tried various settings and kept the phone within a few metres of the box and it still does it.

there is no problem with my wifi, it works perfectly with everyother device and is constantly on.

Does anyone know how to fix this or change the wifi manager, I thought I had a seen a post with an upgrade from one of the similar devices (Imate I think) but I can't find it again!

thanks,

Guest jimbouk

Do you have SSID broadcast off?

Some WM5 devices lose connection if so. Try turning broadcast back on and see if its any better.

Guest NikLP
Hi, Can you explain a bit further is that a phone setting or wifi setting?

thanks

SSID broadcast is a setting that is exposed by your wireless router/access point.

If you browse thru the web interface of that device you should find the 'SSID broadcast' setting fairly easily - it will be under the wireless settings. If you don't have any security/encryption enabled I would personally suggest that you *do* sort that out, but leave SSID broadcast enabled so your devices can find it more easily.

Set the wireless AP to encrypt at the highest security level that ALL your devices will support. This should be WAP-PSK by now hopefully. If your wireless AP doesn't offer that, check the manufacturers website for an updated ROM for the device, you may be able to upgrade it that way.

The M600 phone has reasonable security support I think so you should be ok with those guidelines. Otherwise, ask more questions or google about a bit! ;)

Guest jimbouk

As Nik said, it is worth sorting out at least WEP security. It used to be a good idea to turn SSID broadcast off so that only people who already know your wifi's SSID could access it - but now there are so many netstumbler type apps out there that even with SSID off and wardriver can find your network.

Depending on which wifi access point/router you have, you will access it by opening your pc's web browser and typing in the IP address of the router (usually something like 192.168.1.1) and then entering the default password (if you have lost the instructions, I am sure you can download them from the manufacturers site).

Don't be scared of WEP etc. It really is as simple as entering a key (text/numbers) on the router and then entering it on each device when you next connect. It will save the police knocking on your door when the FBI tell them that your IP address was used to surf the wrong sorts of sites over your wifi!

Guest jamespvm600

Hi thanks, I did have ssid enabled and had wep on but couldn't get the phone to connect I set my connection as open and the phone connected but won't stay connected.

I must revert to a secure network though!

thanks,