Problems with Wifi connection with vario

Guest jamiender_s

Guest jamiender_s

Hi there guys

Just got my mda vario a few days ago, and honestly, Im loving it (especially because I got it free as my mate works for t-mobile and put me on friends and family!!) - impoverished student you see.

Anyways, heres my problem:

I cant connect to my wireless network. I dread to think how many times you have read this, and I have read all previous posts on this topic, but I still cant fix it. I can see the network, but under "network cards" it just says connecting - and never actually connects ("unable to assign server assigned ip address" is what it says after a while).

So on the other topic, the solution was to enter the gateway address and dns server address. So how do I actually do this because my wireless router (or modem or whatever its called) is set to dhcp - as far as i understand, to input this data into the vario I have to click on the 'network adapters' tab and then I click 'NE2000 compatible ethernet driver' (becuase its the top one on the list) but then I have to click 'Use specific IP-address' in order to input a default gateway -> but is this right, having to enter in an ip address myself when my router is on dhcp? Anyway, i type in an ip address that I know nobody has (192.168.1.30) and type in my gateway (192.168.1.1) and then i put in my dns server in the name servers tab and click OK - and nothing!

It still just says connecting, and never actuaully manages to connect.

So any suggestions please? It would be great to get a fast internet connection on a PHONE! (im still trying to get my head round this crazy technology! - I remember when gates said the internet would never take off)!

Cheers guys

Jamie

ps. any ideas if t-mobile will make the web n walk internet connnection speed faster?

Guest pdtp

so if you have read all the other posts then you have disabled all security on the router made sure that your broadcasting your ssid right? do you have any other devices that have trouble connect to the wireless portion of the router? I just had a netgear wireless router wireless die on me but all the wired ports still worked.

POSTED FROM MY 8125 ;)

Guest jamiender_s
so if you have read all the other posts then you have disabled all security on the router made sure that your broadcasting your ssid right? do you have any other devices that have trouble connect to the wireless portion of the router? I just had a netgear wireless router wireless die on me but all the wired ports still worked.

POSTED FROM MY 8125 ;)

hey thanks for your reply!

1) no secutire on the router

2) broadcasting my ssid right? i think so - its on channel 6, which my vario picks up (it says so)

3) no other devices have problems connecting to the wifi.

any solutions?

cheers

jamie

Guest Tech

dont type in the IP Address manually - leave it, set it to automatic and let the router be the DHCP!!!

you may want to remove the detected wireless configuration on the Vario and do a rescan...

Guest pdtp

the ne2000 is not the right adapter to be assining the ip address. it needs to be the SDID WLAN Adapter try assining the ip there and see if it works. also go wardriving with it see if you can get on other peoples access points it may be a defective unit, or some type of incompatabilty with the router. What router are you using? also try a hard reset if you just got the unit you may have installed somthing that broke the wireless (happened to me thats why i use SPB Backup before i install any software).

Guest Brins0

Not that this may affect your setup, but make sure that you have added your PPCs MAC address to your access point, if you have this feature turned on that is...

If you dont have it on, you should consider adding it, coz it makes life harder for people trying to break in, especially amatures...

Guest jamiender_s

Hey guys, listen, thanks so much for the replies!

But...

Tech - tried setting it to automatic, still doesnt work. removing the detected wireless one doesnt work either.

pdtp - i dont seem to have the SDID WLAN adapter on my vario (!) i have the SDIO ? when i try that though, it still doesnt work (leaving it set to automaticaly assigning an IP address). A hard reset of the router doesnt work either

Brins0 - actually, we are just at a house at uni, we didnt bother doing it so we had to add MAC addresses to the router because security isnt really important to us

cheers for your help guys, but still cant seem to connect!

any other ideas?

Cheers

Jamie

Guest Tech

what brand of router is it? could be an incompatability - you've tried to disable all advanced features and so on and the MDA still won't connect? Something is seriously wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest citizenplain

i too have the exact same issue. i cant connnect to my DLink DI-524. even when i:

- enable SSID broadcast

- disable WEP

- enable DHCP

anyone else having problems with a DLink router?

Guest andybarker

I had the same problem - was down to the router being fixed to only connect at 54g speeds, and not 54g / 11b. The Vario will only do 11meg, not 54meg without an update (there is a util floating around somewhere to help).

Message me and I'll send it to you. I'm sure I got it from this board somewhere!

Guest Laser_iCE

Wizard Optimizer (sp). It uses a registry hack, however, the latest ROM from i-mate and (as far a I know? Correct me if I'm wrong) O2 both support the faster speeds...

• 2 months later...
Guest thomastwosome
I cant connect to my wireless network. I dread to think how many times you have read this, and I have read all previous posts on this topic, but I still cant fix it. I can see the network, but under "network cards" it just says connecting - and never actually connects ("unable to assign server assigned ip address" is what it says after a while).

jamiender_s

Did you ever get your problem solved? I'm having the same issues.

Regards,

Laura

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jamiender_s

hi laura, sorry for the late reply...

I managed to get it working and here's how:

download the phm regedit program, its free, and you can install it directly on your vario without the need to use a desktop pc. google `g-hack` and follow the instructions to change the registry accordingly..... try connecting and it works. note that you can backup your registry just in case (i backed mine onto my mini sd card)

BUT....

it is very slow, I'm not sure if this is just my unit but its not as fast as my laptop. maybe they've sorted this out in the vario 2, but trust me, you may as well stick with your network provider.

hope this helps!