iMate JAMin / SPV M600 - different screens?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's a weird one i'm hoping someone could shed some light on...

I use a JAMin, and my missus uses a SPV M600. I noticed today when using them side by side that the JAMin has a MUCH brighter and sharper screen. What's more, it almost seems as if they are different types of screens, as my JAMin is viewable from very shallow angles, whereby hers isn't at all. I've confirmed this with a second M600, but don't have another JAMin to test with.

Any ideas?

I've included a few pics to try and illustrate what I mean, but the effect is incredible pronounced when you see it in person..

P

m600jamin1.jpg

m600jamin2.jpg

m600jamin3.jpg

Guest fluffcat1

Almost like the backlight isn't on...!

Entirely possible. The Typhoon has 2 diff. screens, the himalays has 2 non-interchangable screens, the blue angel has 3 screens only 2 of which are interchangable etc etc...

And even then, I have 2 blueangels with the SAME screen that look different.... ;)

The only way to tell for sure is open them up and check the part numbers. G'wan, you know you want to really....

Richard

Guest Paul (MVP)

I would be intrigued to know if O spec devices have a 'poorer / cheaper' screen than JAMins.

Opening it is not an option... maybe a poll is in order...

P

Guest fluffcat1
I would be intrigued to know if O spec devices have a 'poorer / cheaper' screen than JAMins.

P

With the other devices I mentioned, there is no reseller / service providor corrollation, but there is with IMEI so it would seem that some componants change during different production runs which may well coincide with different reseller production but is not necessarily a function of it.

Are the imei's in similar ranges?

Richard

Guest sporkguy

P

That may entirely be the case. I've sold many M500s in the past, and each one varied from the other.

E.g. my brother's M500 was two months newer than mine (due to him getting his two months after mine, lol) and his screen was much lower in contrast, and was nowhere near as sensitive towards the edges as mine was.

I had one of the first batch, so obviously since then they've realised there's money to be made in cutting costs on an already popular handset?

This is Orange we're talking about: so its anybody's guess ;)

Guest jimbouk

I can't believe Orange would reduce the screen spec during a products lifetime (as per poster above's suggestions re m500's) - but I can believe Orange spec a lower contrast screen from HTC.

I don't suppose Orange have put some sort of protector on the screen?

Guest fluffcat1
I can't believe Orange would reduce the screen spec during a products lifetime (as per poster above's suggestions re m500's) - but I can believe Orange spec a lower contrast screen from HTC.

I don't suppose Orange have put some sort of protector on the screen?

I don't think Orange *can* spec cheaper componants - HTC are the ODM - it's their design not Orange's.

Changes during production are entirely down to manufacturing / componant supply and demand / engineering fixes. The blueangel's with the different screens required re-engineering the mainboard - no easy task during a life cycle when production has begun, and the Himalayas' 2 varients have completley different screen connectors. I don't think HTC would do this unless they really had to eg if faced with a componant shortage. Even now getting hold of spare Sony LCM's is difficult, Toppoly ones relatively easy.

It makes me laugh when new companies launch products manufactured by HTC and claim 'Made to XYZ's specification by HTC' such as that company that recently re-badged the TV receiving HTC handset...

Richard

Guest fluffcat1
Of course Orange can spec cheaper screens.

Not saying they have, but they could...

P

I think you're giving Orange more credit in the design process than they deserve...if a cheaper screen is available that conforms to the specs for the type approval than why wouldn't all the re-sellers spec it - if indeed they could? Orange would have to know of the existance of a cheaper screen to know of the potential cost saving, assuming that the different screen is even actually cheaper....

There are easier ways to cut costs. eg: don't bundle a spare stylus / holster / battery / memory card etc and overall these would have less of an effect on the overall performance of the unit than to purposely use inferior componants, and are more likely to be within Orange's changeable remit for production / packing specs.

Richard

Guest Zahid

When I got my M600 I couldn't believe the screen was worse than the phone it was replacing - my C500, not that the C500 had a bad screen. I just expected the M600 to have a similar quality screen or better than the C500.

I've cancelled my upgrade (due mainly to a loose body) and have an envelope from Orange to send the M600 back. I was just going to upgrade again to the same phone (as advised by O CS when I told them the phone's case was loose), but now I may consider other options.

Guest ddieter

Maybe the Orange version has some sort of polarised film on the screen? That would certainly prevent you from viewing the screen in certain angles.

Do you find the screen on the Orange device is easier to read outdoors than the I-mate?

Guest Pondrew

I'd always assumed that HTC probably offered a product list of sorts to the providers (obviously Orange included) of the devices they have developed and that it's then upto the provider to specify which they would like to take on. Obviously the different products on that list would be different price ranges and possibly different quality as well...

Just to illustrate this, Vodafone had an HTC Blue Angel called the VPx different from the other providers as it had an entirely different case (and possibly a different screen?). Orange had a slightly redesigned Magician in the SPV M500 (which was different enough to warrant HTC giving it a different Model ID to all the other Magicians). And T-Mobile are the ONLY provider to have taken on the HTC Charmer which they are selling as the MDA Compact II. I assumed this was because they were the only provider to decide to take it on rather then because they commisioned HTC to design and build it...

...so my theory is that HTC design the products off their own back and then offer them to the providers rather then the providers giving HTC the spec first. The providers like Orange just have to choose a device that suits their wants and needs at that time.

As for changes to the product during it's lifetime, I'd go with Fluffcat1s interpretation whereby supply needs sometimes result in minor changes.

Thoughts/comments welcome!

Guest fluffcat1
I'd always assumed that HTC probably offered a product list of sorts to the providers (obviously Orange included) of the devices they have developed and that it's then upto the provider to specify which they would like to take on. Obviously the different products on that list would be different price ranges and possibly different quality as well...

Don't mention that to Jim 'I designed the XDA all by myself' Morrison of Carrier Devices (i-mate)....

Just to illustrate this, Vodafone had an HTC Blue Angel called the VPx different from the other providers as it had an entirely different case (and possibly a different screen?).

Voda are alone in actually having had 2 blueangel varients in UK - the v1620 and the 'upgraded' ( their quote) VPx. I've only seen the VPx and that had a 0x6 board and slightly thicker casing around the screen. Cosmetically the front panel was indeed quite different.

http://www.modaco.com/Vodafone_Vpx_Casing-t229730.html

Other blueangels also use this board revision inc the later m2000's I've had in bits and the odd XDAiis

I find the colour a bit washed out on the Sony LCD's the older boards use and can now tell them by sight rather than opening the device. How sad is that?

Interestingly as a spare part the older sony LCD is like expensive rocking horse doo doo so it would point to the re-design being down to economics / supply.

Orange had a slightly redesigned Magician in the SPV M500 (which was different enough to warrant HTC giving it a different Model ID to all the other Magicians).

Voda have it as the VPa in a slightly champagne gold ish casing.

And T-Mobile are the ONLY provider to have taken on the HTC Charmer which they are selling as the MDA Compact II. I assumed this was because they were the only provider to decide to take it on rather then because they commisioned HTC to design and build it...

Yeah, I think the rate HTC are creating devices is too much for some carriers - they only really need one 'signature' device in each form factor. Getting a compact II to take to bits soon :-)

...so my theory is that HTC design the products off their own back and then offer them to the providers rather then the providers giving HTC the spec first. The providers like Orange just have to choose a device that suits their wants and needs at that time.

As for changes to the product during it's lifetime, I'd go with Fluffcat1s interpretation whereby supply needs sometimes result in minor changes.

If you read the spin from the OEM's especially rather than the carriers they'd have you believe they were their design built to spec by HTC.....but I think all they can really spec is the colour.

And I'd call a board re-design for an LCD a major change personally!

Richard

Guest mavisdavis

Not long had my M600 but its certainly not as bad as Pauls and I can view it from every angle I can (without banging my head on the table lol)