The Motorola Q is here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's been a while coming... but the Motorola Q is now available in the USA from Verizon! ;) The device is agressively priced at $199.

Got a Q already? Getting a Q? Post in our new Motorola Q dedicated area - http://Q.MoDaCo.com :P

Press release:

MOTOROLA AND VERIZON WIRELESS ANNOUNCE

THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED MOTO Q

Guest sporkguy
That is so ugly!

The Americans will love it ;)

lol! I'll echo that :P

I dislike the shape of the screen.. it'll make reading long emails and texts a right pain in the bum...

it just doesnt seem to fit the device right somehow.

Guest Laser_iCE

I think that looks ... Just ugly! And what's with the giant space down the bottom? Looks like it needs to be snapped off... I'll stick to my Wizard's keyboard for now ;)

Guest nausea
Having actually used one, I really like it, and am very jealous it's not out on GSM yet :P

P

I want a GSM one too, with edge and wifi preferably ;)

;) Why can't any UK network offer 4000 minutes? or atleast above 2000... <_<

Here in the US we have the joys of minutes applying to incoming as well as outgoing calls, the call starting when you press send (rather than when you're actually connected), and per minute (rather than per second) billing.

Not to mention that we're usually way behind on handsets, get much smaller network subsidies on handsets ($200 for a t-mobile SDA on a new connection, anyone? $300 for a Vario?), and have to really fight to get a contract that's not 2 years...

Guest smeg36

Oh please, you guys are all just jealous that the US FINALLY got a device (and a great looking one at that) before anyone else. Don't be jealous just because I'll have one of these in my hands next week, you may get it before next year.

In all seriousness, I think the screen will improve web and email viewing because it is 320x240 landscape by default. Since websites and such natively support the lanscape resolution, it'll display better this way if anything.

Guest dearsina

I must agree with smeg36, this phone (although perhaps not quite the sliced bread replacement we're all expecting) is the first smartphone I can remember that has not been launched in Europe first. (Excluding the gazillion super-smartphones released to our Far-Eastern friends years and years before we even hear about them.)

Methinks this signals the maturity of the phone market in US, which is bad news for us Europeans, because if the Q proves a hit, phones will go to New York before they make their way to York.

Guest Pagemakers

No Wifi

No 3G

1.3 Megapixel Camera

Are you serious?

The phone is 2 years out of date!

Bring us an exciting ground-breaking smartphone PLEASE. Not something that everybody has been making for years.

Guest Pagemakers

EVDO - May be OK for the US market but when it comes to Europe......

Maybe that version will be different.

But still it needs wifi and a half decent camera. To me it's still playing catch-up

Guest smeg36

When it goes to Europe, it'll be a GSM version with UMTS and/or HSDPA. You can only fit so much into such a small phone. Wifi was evidently the least important thing, so they didn't include it. I personally use EVDO even when I had a phone with wifi and wifi available to connect to. So, for you lack of wifi may be disappointing. For me, it makes no difference.

Guest nausea

The Q was designed from the beginning to appeal to general users not power users. By leaving out all those additional features they are able to sell it cheaper than other PDA-phones. Plus it has the RAZR/SLVR/PEBL design that everyone seems to have fallen in love with.

Does Europe have CDMA networks? Or just GSM?

Guest Pagemakers

I just wish the WM Smartphone camps would release a phone (not PDA) with UTMS, wifi and a decent camera.

We seem to be trialling behind the Nokias and SonyEricssons of this world.

That's my bit......now back on topic!

Guest Confucious

I haven't used WiFi since I got unlimited 3G - EVDO would be better but I'm sure it will have 3G (UMTS) when it comes to the UK.

The camera is only 1.3Mp? most are a 2Mp would be better but hardly a major drawback.

The styling is a matter of taste - it is similar to a lot of devices which are very popular in the US but not in the rest of the world so it was probably a good decision to release it there, maybe it will never make it this side of the pond?

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I think it probably will once the E61 is released. Incedentally other than 3G the E61 is a very similar spec to the Q, and we don't know if it'll come packed with HSPDA or EDGE :)

Guest smeg36

I have my Q in hand and got to say, it was worth the wait! 312Mhz on a Smartphone is very peppy, the screen is bright and clear (more than any other phone I've ever seen), EVDO is always great, the thumb board is better than any I've used, and it looks and fels incredible. All reviews are saying it't great, and I have to agree.

Guest scottb

I'm using my Q now and have to say it looks like a keeper! It will take a little gettining used to the screen, and the applications that need some tweaking, but it's very nice.p

Guest TomaHawk

cant wight for GSM version it looks sweet.

needs atleast 2MP cam though and wifi and HSDPA to be up to date for Q1 2007

Guest nickcornaglia

I think this is the first Smartphone in a looooooong time that has stepped outside of the traditional form. For that we can all be happy as it opens the door for different form factors than the standard candybar or ugly flip.

The StarTrek is doing the same thing for the flip-phone side.

And why would anyone complain about the 1.3MP camera???? The 2MP phone cameras aren't that much better in quality at all. Both are good for quick pics, but neither are all that great for capturing lasting memories. Get better lenses and better zooms....the we can talk about up-ing the MPs.

I believe the landscape screen is a necessity if you want a qwerty keyboard. The keypad on this is tight enough. Squeezing it into the width of a portrait screen would be down-right impossible to type on.

I'm playing with a Q Dummy phone right now...and I need to us my fingernals to type....especially right above the spacebar...which is raised a little higher.

I'm not sure if it's the dummy-phone or not...but the soft-keys and send/end keys are cheap and feel like they will break. And the scroll wheel is "clicky" and cheap feeling. I would have much preferred the MPX200 style that didnt spin completely around, but just up and down.

Overall...I believe it's a beautiful phone and a forerunner of better styles to come. Seems like all of our other phones are grandchildren of the SPV. Slightly different in looks....but esentially the same.

The Q bigins a different lineage(sp?) entirely.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.