Getting M5000 tomorrow - Now asking setup questions in here to save a new thread.

Guest Cockeye

Guest Cockeye

Ok, I currently have an M500 - but have been hankering after the increased fuctionality of an M5000 ever since I held a dummy phone in an Orange store back in october last year.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered one, but since I did everyone I know who has one have told me it is pants. The say it's too big, and that they always lose calls when the try and answer. It seems to be hated! ;)

I've got 14 days to try it out before I have to return it (but I have to pay 25 quid if I do). I haven't held an actual phone, just a dummy.

So, is this phone as bad as everyone says it is? Is it REALLY completely impractical for making calls with? Does the functionality of the phone justify the size? (I want to be able to edit a spreadsheet in the living room and then wirelessy send it back to my main PC).

When it arrives tomorrow, what are the essential things I should install? Is there a way of answering calls without losing them? Will a Sony Ericsson headset work ok with it? Is there a voice dialling ap? (The one on the M500 is superb), and if there is do I need to open it and press a button to activate voice dialling - or can i do it when it's closed?

Oh, and finally can I video call over MSN using a wireless connection to my PC and the 3G camera?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but I was so excited about this, and now I'm really apprehensive.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Edited by Cockeye

Guest impy78

My mate has the o2 version and he loves it. So I guess it's all personal taste.

If the major gripe is the size, you have held the dummy, which is the correct size, and if you are happy with it, then it's not a problem!

Edited by impy78

Guest samsul

I have had a T-Mobile MDA Pro (which is same as Orange M5000) for about 4 weeks now. I wouldn't swap it for anything AT ALL.

I have installed latest I-MATE rom which gives me push e-mail and works very well.

I recommend you install Microsoft Voice Command 1.5, this is an excellent software which allows you to voice dial.

I mostly use it for Web browsing (using NetFront 3.3 - excellent software and e-mailing using FlexMail 2006).

You can't do video calls on MSN using Pocket PC.

Guest Shaunfarris

Hi,

Size is'nt a problem at all. It feels comfortable in the hand as a phone and perfect as a PDA.

The Voice Tag software works like a dream on my M5000 for voice dialling opening applications etc.

Voice dialing works great through my Sony Ericsson bluetooth headset, and has no issues running alongside TomTom Bluetooth GPS.

The only draw back I have found is the call issue, I dont drop many calls but I have drop a couple, not sure if it's to do with delay in opening the lid to see whos calling, but it has only happening when I have done this.

Personally I would say I'm happy with mine

Guest Cockeye

Cheers for the posts guys.

Got the morning off work tomorrow to welcome it into my household.

Nice to hear some positives about this.

Would you keep the M500 for your "evening" phone or is the 5000 ok for that too?

Does it come with a belt case?

Guest sporkguy
Cheers for the posts guys.

Got the morning off work tomorrow to welcome it into my household.

Nice to hear some positives about this.

Would you keep the M500 for your "evening" phone or is the 5000 ok for that too?

Does it come with a belt case?

Dont use the M5000 in the pub or you'll look like a proper 'nana! - the M500 should be perfect as your evening phone... I tended to switch to my C500 in the evenings when I had my M500... didnt wanna smash the little blighter when I fell out of a trolley rolling down a hill :]

Guest awarner (MVP)

I've not used my JasJar for a while now as the Vario is my phone of choice at the moment, but while I did use it I never had any real problems.

Guest VulakAerr

I love my M5000. I'm on my second handset now and I've not had any problems with either one. The functionality, resolution (<3 VGA) and customisability. Remember to turn off the Orange today screen and Automatic Error Reporting. And install the ROM update from Orange before you start adding your contacts and such.

Guest Cockeye
I love my M5000. I'm on my second handset now and I've not had any problems with either one. The functionality, resolution (<3 VGA) and customisability. Remember to turn off the Orange today screen and Automatic Error Reporting. And install the ROM update from Orange before you start adding your contacts and such.

ROM update????

I looked on the orange site last night and couldn't see one.

Would really appreciate a link, mate.

On a side note - bloody thing still hasn't arrived. Feeling guilty - should be at work.

Guest Cockeye
http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...d=1070534435365

Check the version before doing it.

Usually between 9am and 5pm. So wait a bit more. ;)

Thanks mate, will do that tonight. Delivery was promised before one. It arrived at 11.30. Turned it on, quickly posted on my own forums using the wireless network in my home which was great. Then I made a quick outgoing call. The dialpad on the larger screen was much better than the M500 to use. But the volume seemed much quieter than the 500 which wasn't too good.

It doesn't seem THAT much bigger than the M2000 which I owned several years ago, and the increased functionality looks great.

So, sorry to be a pain. I am guessing that the first thing I should do is a ROM update. Then sync with new active sync? Then install voice command?

Any recommended software or anything else I should do or know? I think I'm gonna like this.

Guest tsutton
So, sorry to be a pain. I am guessing that the first thing I should do is a ROM update. Then sync with new active sync? Then install voice command?

Yeah, if the ROM I posted is newer, update it. Then when it's done, use Activesync to sync your contacts, etc from Outlook.

Then install whatever you want to the phone. I'd recommend installing it to the memory card to free up the space on the internal memory.

Any recommended software or anything else I should do or know? I think I'm gonna like this.

Have a search around here, there are plently of posts of "first/recommended software to be installed" on here.

Enjoy!

Guest Cockeye
Yeah, if the ROM I posted is newer, update it. Then when it's done, use Activesync to sync your contacts, etc from Outlook.

Then install whatever you want to the phone. I'd recommend installing it to the memory card to free up the space on the internal memory.

Have a search around here, there are plently of posts of "first/recommended software to be installed" on here.

Enjoy!

Oh, God.

This is not good.

I performed the upgrade of the ROM exactly as described in the Orange instructions. It's now dead ;)

Basically, I have got to the white screen where it says hold 0 to reset or x to cancel. I pressed 0 (as it said) and the device just died. Wouldn't even turn on. So I performed a hard reset, and the white screen just came back. This time I pressed x and it just died again.

I cant get any life out of it at all without pressing hard reset. And if I do, whatever I press it dies again! :P

Guest Cockeye
If you can get the white screen, that's at least something.

Try reflashing the update?

P

Tried that - PC wont recognise the phone so cant update. ;)

Guest Cockeye
Tried that - PC wont recognise the phone so cant update. ;)

Been on to Orange - they say that they can do nothing. Even though the set was working fine until I tried the ROM upgrade they are denying there's any problem with the upgrade.

They are passing me back to the supplier, who are now closed. I cannot see, as I am an Orange customer, why I just can't get an exchange through them or my local store.

If this has to go back to the original supplier then I am cancelling full stop. Nice handset - but I'm nottaking another day off work.

Guest nedge2k

you need to get into bootloader and reflash to a pre-aku2 rom.

hold the light key and power button then press the reset button until it says "serial vx.xx" then you should be able to flash.

pre aku2 roms are on the xda-developers ftp site

the universal is a wicked device by the way...don't let this put you off ;)

Guest Cockeye

Well, this is unbelievable!

But thanks for the help guys - it REALLY is much appreciated.

Now, after another hour onthe phone to orange I got this really nice guy and he is sending a replacement brand new handset out to my local store tomorrow for me to pick up after work. So full marks to Orange.

I have read the above posts, but got stuck when they started to mention a mtty or mttu or something? Confused.

So, lets see what the instructions in the post above this one initiates.

Guest Cockeye

Well, I've looked around for this mtty thing and it appears to be rather elusive.

Just gonna try and reinstall the downloaded ROM upgrade one more time (I know it wont work) and then wait until tomorrow and get my new one.

I am presuming that it would be safer not to perfom a RPM upgrade on the next one? Orange have promised another new one if it goes wrong again, but if I dont need push email then I'm guessing it's probably safer to leave it?

Guest Cockeye

Well, go figure!

Accessed the bootloader screen, reinstalled ROM exactly the same way and now it worked!

Thanks so much, guys!

Guest Cockeye

Can anyone tell me how to get my bluetooth headset working with Voice Command? It seems a bit silly to have voice diallin, but have to reach over when driving, push a button, tell it what to dial, then put headset in to ear and make the call.

I understand it involves some kind of registry hack but I am not too sure how to do it - so a simple idiots guide would be really appreciated.

I know I have no right after all the help you have already given - but it would be really appreciated and I thought it would save starting a new thread.