'Sniper!' Testing Places Full! Completely Full So Dont Even Ask!

Guest greenturtle

Guest gregmiddleton

is there any way of including a bluetooth browser in it so that you can have a look in the other peoples phone folders and get files you'd want like on samsung and sony ericsson non smartphones?

Guest leethacker
A radar showing devices and their approximate distances from the user .... hmmm let me investigate how much info I can get from the BlueTooth Radio and get back to u all.

When you can get access to some signal strength values it is pretty easy to do. Because then you can estimate the distance to the other phone by calculating the distance.

I would be damn cool that when I see the result of a device scan, I can also see the signal strenght / estimated disance in meters to the other devices. (see attached screenshot; then you know what I want to have :) )

post-146709-1148537294_thumb.png

Guest peekie

will this app be only limited to ppc and smartphone ? if it was also for the other platforms , maybe in a java version it would be even better , its ok to send a message but how can they send one back ? and you could even send a message to the wrong person , should the boyfriend have his girls phone, all this would work IF the other persons bluetooth is switched on , alot of the new lady phones dont even have bluetooth

Guest iforevans
will this app be only limited to ppc and smartphone ? if it was also for the other platforms , maybe in a java version it would be even better , its ok to send a message but how can they send one back ? and you could even send a message to the wrong person , should the boyfriend have his girls phone, all this would work IF the other persons bluetooth is switched on , alot of the new lady phones dont even have bluetooth

It will only be for SmartPhone & PocketPC. Nokias already for example have the anility to send Notes. Sniper will receive these as txt messages and put them in your Inbox. Have a look at mini_mans videos that he made (they can be downloaded from this thread) it shows exactly that.

...ifor

Guest iforevans

To answer a few questions that are being reported repeatedly ;-)

Yeah, the hide issue is a problem. Apparently the Hide(0 method in the Compact framework runs a little TOO well! If an incominmg file or msg is detected Sniper will show up, but it's not ideal. I'm working on a resolution. For now just navigate to another program and Sniper will continue to run normally.

As far as I'm aware, the only devices Sniper will find are those that are actually on. I don't have any paired devices so I'm going to test that today. If paired devices show up even when off I will have to differentiate them in the list somehow.

You can already create msgs to send. Go to the Menu->Scan & Send, from there Choose Options->Send Msg

This will allow you to compose a text message to send to a BT recipient. Or you can send them a file from your device.

I am working on icons ;-)

BTW Please report bugs and request here so that we can all see them and don't duplicate each other.

Cheers for all the help guys! You're helping to make it a better app.

...Ifor

Guest iforevans
Great app

i love to try this, i have most of the common smartphones, and a lot of non windows BT devices.

count me in please.

Thank you

Please PM mini_man for inclusion on the BETA testers list. We only have a limited number of slots.

...Ifor

Guest conan_troutman

I posted a message to your email from my phone but I will post some info here that as not been mentioned

when scanning for devices all my paired devices are listed even if they are out of range hence I can not actually snd any thing to them spen 40 minutes sending a file to the wifes mpx only to discover she she had it turned off.

when selecting send message the typing goes screwy you get images of devices left on the screen then as the t9 libaray bar open that remains in then end you have about 40 ghost images and you can t see what your typing.

iwould like to see a few background imsages like the ones posted in the ad all i get is a white background at the mo ideally so i can see what mode my blue tooth is in with out having to open the menu settings.

also when i did finally send a nessage it did not transfer it the folder that was specified by sniper on my wifes MPX.

also we need a cool icon for such a cool applet.

Guest iforevans
I posted a message to your email from my phone but I will post some info here that as not been mentioned

when scanning for devices all my paired devices are listed even if they are out of range hence I can not actually snd any thing to them spen 40 minutes sending a file to the wifes mpx only to discover she she had it turned off.

when selecting send message the typing goes screwy you get images of devices left on the screen then as the t9 libaray bar open that remains in then end you have about 40 ghost images and you can t see what your typing.

iwould like to see a few background imsages like the ones posted in the ad all i get is a white background at the mo ideally so i can see what mode my blue tooth is in with out having to open the menu settings.

also when i did finally send a nessage it did not transfer it the folder that was specified by sniper on my wifes MPX.

also we need a cool icon for such a cool applet.

I'm going to try and differentiate paired devices somehow (I know it will make mini_man happy ;-) )

The gohst images I have onlyy seen on WM5 was this on WM5? That reminds me guys when u post issues please name the deivce AND OS the issue was on!

Did ur wife use sniper for receving the message?

...Ifor

Guest mini_man

BETA IS NOW FULL - That means, no more beta testing requests please!

We have no places left for beta testing and its very doubtful any more will be opened.

If you got a place then your name will be on this list.

In the Windows Mobile Device to Windows Mobile Device Group we have.

james

M1DUL

Sky_Lab

jameshpg

Newchurch

Conan_troutman

Jcjdoss

Tech

janp92

The Ape

In the Windows Mobile Device to Non Windows Mobile Device Group we have.

leethacker

Sporkguy

rowmiyo

lukeap69

chelttown

badboy4life

riyazhyder

shanedean

thug_playah

dexter_roos

Guest chelttown

When I did a search with no devices in range I got the following error, "Unexpected Exception occured in DiscoveredDevicesForm_Load(). Reason:-NullReferenceException". I would much rather a message saying that there are no devices within range.

chris

Guest Tech

most likely the GC executed to clean up the resources...not a problem there from the error message stating that there are no devices

Guest conan_troutman
I'm going to try and differentiate paired devices somehow (I know it will make mini_man happy ;-) )

The gohst images I have onlyy seen on WM5 was this on WM5? That reminds me guys when u post issues please name the deivce AND OS the issue was on!

Did ur wife use sniper for receving the message?

...Ifor

ghost images on Qtek WM5 will try on mpx220 to see if same thing occurs.

she said she did after she had hidden it but couldn't reopen to check will test more tonight after shes cooked, washed up made me dessert scrubbed my feet and rubbed my back,

id have her do more but she is pregnant....lol

Guest iforevans
When I did a search with no devices in range I got the following error, "Unexpected Exception occured in DiscoveredDevicesForm_Load(). Reason:-NullReferenceException". I would much rather a message saying that there are no devices within range.

chris

I agree, but for the beta test the more meaningful the error message is the more it will mean to ME and the easier to dind the bug and fix it ;-)

The final version should have much friendlier errors

...Ifor

Guest bongo_king
Ok were full!!!!

We have no places left for beta testing and its very doubtful any more will be opened.

If you got a place then your name will be on this list.

Damm, hour & a half too late! - This looks like a killer app in the making. Look forward to playing with the final version

Guest conan_troutman

so I bought a version of moblue to try see if that worked sending incoming files to the storage card.

or other local on my phone.

nada sod all so both sniper and mo blue fail to send in coming to the storage card so maybe its a phone issue not a program issue

any one else get it to work.?

also when sending I get the message

send file/storage card/****retruned response msg badrequest.

file send s fine from file manager

Guest iforevans
so I bought a version of moblue to try see if that worked sending incoming files to the storage card.

nada sod all so both sniper and mo blue fail to send in coming to the storage card so maybe its a phone issue not a program issue

Hi, the issue is that the phone tries to accept the whole file before passing up the chain to the to find out where to save. What I am looking into is hooking into the process at alower level and chunking the file to the specified location.

no promises though ;-)

Guest iforevans

Also, how big was the file u were trying to send from the storage card?

...Ifor

Guest conan_troutman
Also, how big was the file u were trying to send from the storage card?

...Ifor

it was a .rab file at 349k file manager has no problem handling it

but a .jpg at 2.73k also went to the standard my documents folder.

is there not a reg entry for incoming destinations the program could hack into.

Guest rowmiyo

Device1: HTC Voyager (aka i-mate SP2, O2 xphone1)

ROM: O2 Rom

Device2: Nokia 3660

I. Installation. Installed successfully on device.

II. Menu->Status.: Power Off, Discoverable, Connectable, are working smoothly

Comments: 1. I think the “Power Off” should be renamed to “Bluetooth Off”, instead of Power Off. It might be misleading as to “Turn Off the Phone”.

2. After Manually turning ON my Bluetooth via normal mode which is thru Settings-Bluetooth, then Opened Sniper-Menu-Status, the “Power Off” is checked. Wouldn’t it be appropriate if “Connectable” be the one which is Checked, because my Bluetooth is ON? The actual Bluetooth Status be the One automatically checked? Just my opinion though.

III. Menu-Scan and Send: Scans Bluetooth devices and locates them automatically, HOWEVER, my previous paired devices (which I think are in the history of my bonded devices, I haven’t deleted them yet) appears on the list, even though they’re no longer visible or paired.

Comment: If my Bluetooth is OFF, then I press “Scan and Send”, I think the app should DETECT first if Bluetooth is ON, and if it’s Off, it will ask the user if he wants Bluetooth be turned ON automatically.

edit: I think you have fixed this on ver 0.8.40, will have test it first, thanks.

A. Rescan: Rescans Bluetooth devices BUT (if pressed 2 or more times) adds AGAIN the Previous detected devices, which results in an overlapping or redundant list of devices. If this is the case, I can only SEND files/Messages Only on the TOP/First Items on the List. Sending File on the “redundant” devices will result in an error: “Unexpected Exception occurred in SendFile(). Reason:-ArgumentOutOfRangeException” or “Unexpected Exception occurred in SendMsg(). Reason:-ArgumentOutOfRangeException”

B. Send File: I have successfully sent files to the Nokia 3660 via Bluetooth.

Comment: When Sending a file, when I don’t select or check any file to be sent and then I press CANCEL, an error occurred: “Unexpected Exception occurred in SendFile(). Reason:- NullReferenceException”

C. Send Msg: I haven’t encountered any problem yet in this routine. Works Great! The messages sent to the Nokia3660 were received successfully in the inbox as TEXT FILES. Ex: Msg.txt

IV. Set Incoming Folder. I think this routine is not working properly on my device. I tried to set at \Storage Card, but the files Sent from the Nokia3660 going to my device will Still be saved in the default folder, which is the \Storage\My Documents.

V. Messages: Read/Delete. I haven’t tested this because I don’t have another winmobile device to send me messages thru sniper.

VI. HIDE: (Although I’m not quite sure what this routine should suppose to do). The Hide command hides the app at the background, but when I want to launch it (Sniper) again and press the app’s shortcut, it WON’T open. I have to restart my phone

Edited by rowmiyo

Guest iforevans
Device1: HTC Voyager (aka i-mate SP2, O2 xphone1)

ROM: O2 Rom

Device2: Nokia 3660

I. Installation. Installed successfully on device.

II. Menu->Status.: Power Off, Discoverable, Connectable, are working smoothly

Comments: 1. I think the

Guest leethacker

My experiences with Sniper yesterday:

File transfer worked absolutely fine. I transferred about 25 files by selecting multiple files and everything ran smooth. I also sent stuff to lots of different non-wm phones, and there was not one single problem.

But I have a new feature request now. Ya know, when you select mulitple files for sending and send them ... then Sniper should tell me how much files still need to be sent after each one is sent. Like "Sent File 2 out of 25", "Sent File 3 out of 25", "Sent File 4 out of 25", ...

Guest iforevans
My experiences with Sniper yesterday:

File transfer worked absolutely fine. I transferred about 25 files by selecting multiple files and everything ran smooth. I also sent stuff to lots of different non-wm phones, and there was not one single problem.

But I have a new feature request now. Ya know, when you select mulitple files for sending and send them ... then Sniper should tell me how much files still need to be sent after each one is sent. Like "Sent File 2 out of 25", "Sent File 3 out of 25", "Sent File 4 out of 25", ...

Great suggestion! I will add that for todays BETA (which you guy can expect around 5pm New York time, 10pm London Time).

...Ifor

Guest leethacker
Great suggestion! I will add that for todays BETA (which you guy can expect around 5pm New York time, 10pm London Time).

...Ifor

Another thing i did notice when sending multiple files today: There's no option to cancel in the middle. Lets say I have 15 files selected and want to cancel after the fifth. Now thats just impossible because I have to send all 15. hope that will also make it into the next beta. :)

Guest conan_troutman

ok Bluetooth status does not update while program is running so could potentialy give false reading.

Ghost images during send text are still occuring on WM5 device Qtek 8310

scan mode still making duplicates on rescan.

Ideally wouldn't it be better to just list available devices rather than paired and available un less both paired and available device show in both list you plan on making but wouldnt that then make the paired device list a kind of redundant feature.

any thoughts on adding a profile so you could buzz people with similar interest abit like Mobiluck but with features that are actually worth using.

storage specifics you know about. hididng and rebooting still an issue

sending multiple files to computer cannot be done is the away to wrap each ticked item so it goes as one rather or is this a PC limitation.

multiple files send fine device to device.