Sorting Contacts First Name Last Name

Guest PhoenixAG

Guest PhoenixAG

Hi,

I've been a very happy user of O2 Xphone II for the past year.

Recently, I got a new HTC Prophet (great device) and have noticed that the Edit contacts form does not have a "File As" option.

Worse, there is no option for me to set all names to be shown as First Name Last Name.

I have it setup like that in Outlook but even when I sync my device with my PC, the contacts don't seem to change. I have to manually change them in Outlook, even though the setting in Outlook is to sort contacts First Last.

I am sorry if this is a very common question but I haven't been able to come up with a search result.. :P

Is there any 3rd party app or any option I am missing in my device?

It's very important to me as having my contacts Last Name, First Name will just drive me nuts!

Thank you for your help ;)

Guest PhoenixAG

Yeah that is one way but I would actually prefer to keep the First name and Last name separate if possible. Of course, I will use your method as the last resort.

But I think its a very dumb decision on MS's part not to include it in PPC.

I've heard of a program called cproghook which can do this. Does anyone know about it?

It's actually hard to imagine no 3rd party developer has thought of putting this functionality in. I tried to see if some tweak programs had it but as far as I am aware, I can't see any which add this functionality.

If I use a utility like Agenda Fusion, do you think it has this functionality?

I'll try and look at some of the various contacts programs there are. If anyone knows of a specific utility, please let us know!

Thanks a lot! :)

Guest Pigo

Only thing you CAN do.... is sync to outlook and change the way they're displayed to the way you want it.

downside to this is that you have to do it manually.... WITH EVERY CONTACT!!!

Pigo

Guest Laser_iCE

I don't get why it's an inconveniece to be honest... You write/type the first few letters of the name and it comes up irregardless of first/last name, so I don't understand how it is that difficult to find people? If anything, it keeps the phone sorted much easier, as I think it looks much cleaner also.

Guest PhoenixAG

Actually, I have never sorted any contacts list of mine with the last name first...And I had it setup as First name Last name too on my Smartphone...

So just to see contacts with the last name first is a bit jarring. It drives me nuts and right now I am currently doing what is suggested above, editing each contact manually in Outlook then syncing.

It seems Outlook is really dumb too. I have specificied to organize my contacts as First Last Name in Outlook, yet whenever I create a few contact, it is saved as Last First Name by default. Then I have to manually go to that contact and change it.

What's this fixation with the Last name first and why can't I change it? It's just crazy software such as Outlook, while being so powerful, can't do this.

I actually remember my contacts by their First name...so its easier to have it displayed first. I know it will find all names if I type a few letters.

I guess its like a left hand drive/right hand drive car. If you're used to the wheel on the left, it'll drive you crazy to have the wheel on the right and to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. And vice versa.

Guest Laser_iCE

Good point. On my old nokia, I was used to having just first name, and then something like; "Laser_iCE Mobile", but then when I got my Smartphone2, and I had to change them all over into Outlook and what not, just the look of my contacts being grouped by their family name, and then having multiple entries inside of their name (address, DOB, multiple #'s), it just seemed to be so right :) I would admit however, it would be nice to sort by surname, yet display it as firstname surname... Bah, now you got me thinking :)

Guest PhoenixAG

Yeah, I know :)

It pains me everytime I see the File As field in my smartphone and in Outlook, but not on my PPC.

I guess its a matter of getting used to manually correcting entries in Outlook...

Btw, Rachel McAdams (no idea who she is) is very nice :)

Guest exosceleton
I don't get why it's an inconveniece to be honest... You write/type the first few letters of the name and it comes up irregardless of first/last name, so I don't understand how it is that difficult to find people? If anything, it keeps the phone sorted much easier, as I think it looks much cleaner also.

for one, a lot of my family had the same last name, in portrait mode, the first name doesnt fit, so there are about 10 contacts that look the same.

i would not care which was first, as long as it shows both.

And why are the phone numbers allways displayed? i dont need to see the number, if i knew the number i would not use the adressbook.

• 1 month later...
Guest Laser_iCE

For those of you that were unable to download the file from zero_divide_1's post, I have attached it for you here.

Disclaimer: This isn't my file so yaddayadda don't come to me or complain to me.

Taken from the original link;

"Alright, so now I had a chance to sit down and upload my new program. Its my first Windows Mobile 5 program using the .NET CF 2.0, so you need to make sure you have the latest version of .NET CF 2.0 runtime (click here for the download). Then download my CAB, install it on your device, and when its done, go to Start>Programs>Utilities>Contacts Filer and all your contacts should show up, allowing you to select, use the drop-down box at the bottom to select a pre-defined pattern, or even type your own. Be sure to press "Save" before selecting a different contact, otherwise the changes won't stick. Hope this helps! "

ContactsFiler.zip

Edited by Laser_iCE

Guest exosceleton
Ah well, can't have everything :)

very true, but plenty of people try.

lets hope we are not one of them.

thanks laser_Ice for the att.

Guest zero_divide_1

I'm glad you guys are using my program. I know its kind of slow and requires the bloated .NET CF 2.0, but I know its pretty useful, especially since its been something people have been demanding for a while now (I got sick of hearing the demands and nobody helping out). Just to let you all know, I will be posting an update pretty soon that will integrate with the actual contacts program (and is a lot smaller and faster), but it will take some time since I am running into an issue with the COM subsystem in Windows Mobile. Feedback is greatly appreciated (especially feature additions, pre-programmed pattern additions, bugs, errors, etc). Oh, and don't forget, a donation is always excepted :)

Guest exosceleton
I'm glad you guys are using my program. I know its kind of slow and requires the bloated .NET CF 2.0, but I know its pretty useful, especially since its been something people have been demanding for a while now (I got sick of hearing the demands and nobody helping out). Just to let you all know, I will be posting an update pretty soon that will integrate with the actual contacts program (and is a lot smaller and faster), but it will take some time since I am running into an issue with the COM subsystem in Windows Mobile. Feedback is greatly appreciated (especially feature additions, pre-programmed pattern additions, bugs, errors, etc). Oh, and don't forget, a donation is always excepted :)

It works great. The first piece of software that controls "file as" settings for contacts. Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Dont mean to sound ungratefull but:

feature request: an "apply to all" option that lets you sort all contact in a particular pattern.

I've been circumventing .NET quit succesfully for a while, but i've installed it for this app.

as soon as i can get some money into my paypal account it's coming your way

p.s. isn't there a webpage for this app somewhere?

Edited by exosceleton

Guest zero_divide_1
as soon as i can get some money into my paypal account it's coming your way

p.s. isn't there a webpage for this app somewhere?

Thanks so much, I'll take your suggestion and try to see what I can do for that (I might release another build with this functionality once I can figure out how I will go about doing it easily). As for a webpage, that's why I'm asking for donations so I can help pay for a server for it. I'll let everyone know once I get a site up and running. Thanks! :)

Guest exosceleton
As for a webpage, that's why I'm asking for donations so I can help pay for a server for it.

well, my donation will not send you running to the server store, but you are welcome to it.

Guest zero_divide_1
well, my donation will not send you running to the server store, but you are welcome to it.

Thank you so very much! Your the first person to donate to me, and to tell you the truth, every little bit helps! When my next versions come out, you will be the first to know (free copies, since I may start on a few programs that may require a fee).

Thank you again, everybody, for all your positive support!

Guest zero_divide_1

Well, just letting you know that I've just updated the Contacts Filer program to version 1.5 which is available now. You can get it by checking out my post [Here on HoFo]. Feel free to comment or suggest any changes/bugs/etc. Thanks again for all your support!