WM2003 now or WM5 later?

Guest DiggerDan

Guest DiggerDan

Hi people,

Having a hard time making a decision, and would appreciate any advice given.

I am buying a new PDA to replace my current one, and can't decided between two devices.

The first is here: HP6515

It is available for purchase NOW, and I get a pretty good price on it through my service provider(Rogers Wireless - Canada).

The second is here: HP6915

If I decide on this one, I would have to wait a month or longer, and would pay about $200 more.

Two real questions - #1 : Will it be worth it to wait and pay more for WM5? Is it that much superior to 2003?

#2 : I have been told these are both HTC devices. Can anyone shed some light as to what the HTC name is for them? This would help me a great deal with my research.

All replies are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

:)

Guest pavankp
#1 : Will it be worth it to wait and pay more for WM5? Is it that much superior to 2003?

If I were you, I'd wait the month and get WM5.

#2 : I have been told these are both HTC devices. Can anyone shed some light as to what the HTC name is for them? This would help me a great deal with my research.

I think both these devices are manufactured by HTC, but designed by HP. HTC does its own designs (like the Typhoon, Tornado and Universal), but it also does manufacturing for other companies AFAIK.

Pavan

Guest DiggerDan
If I were you, I'd wait the month and get WM5.

Pavan

Thanks very much for the replies!

What are the distinct advantages of WM5?

Guest pavankp
Thanks very much for the replies!

What are the distinct advantages of WM5?

In my experience, WM5 has been more stable than WM2003SE used to be. Startup is faster on my i-mate SP5 than it used to be on the Audiovox SMT5600. (Both these things could be related to the hardware and installed applications as much as the OS version.) On the smartphone side of things, WM5 has often been conflated with QVGA screen resolution, which is a big improvement. I don't know if push email matters to you at all, but I find that a big convenience. Pocket Internet Explorer is a little more usable in WM5 than it used be on WM2003SE (you actually have a progress bar!!) And the WM5 UI looks cooler :).

But my advice to you was from a different perspective. You are buying a new device now and WM5 is already stable (almost a year old). So there is no reason to buy an older version that will get less and less support with time from Microsoft, your operator and third-party developers. I know it's $200 cheaper, but on the other side you are going to invest more than that on which ever device you choose!

Pavan

Guest Shuflie

Don't forget the biggest advantage, persistent memory. If you can't make it to a power outlet in time you don't need to worry about losing all your contacts, messages, settings and programs.

Guest awarner (MVP)
wow yes - wait for it, as it looks to be a rather fantastic device!

maybe even a moto Q rival contender

Don't forget the Q is a Smartphone and the HP is a Pocket PC.

Guest Tech

good man

just to add yes go for WM5 - latest and greatest and you wont regret it - plus newer apps will be built on .NET 2.0 and such and can only be installed on WM5 (or 2003SE if you have a PPC)

the reason it "starts up faster" is not bcos of the OS really, but rather the CPU speed of the device :)

but yes - glad you've gone for it -

Ive never had any trouble with either OS's but thats just me :)

Guest Confucious

I'm suprised you can still buy WM 2003 devices! You made the right choice out of the 2.

Edited by Confucious